Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

Somali (Maternity) Patients

NGONGE   

In my experience with children and labour wards the younger the nurses the more friendly and happy they seem (except our grumpy one above of course :D). But in other wards, the older the nurses the happier they seem. So, in conclusion (and as with life) old nurses don't like babies and young nurses don't like adults.

Femme, perhaps you are right and SOL doesn't like you anymore! I tried to give you a star and I was told "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to - Femme - again.". Ha ha! You seem to have accrued a couple more from others though, so don't despair.

Nina Fox, LoL @ fat qumayo. Xagga tact-ka iyo aamusnaan when the time calls for it waan ka habaaranahay. The most vivid episode I remember was when my nan died (Allah yarxama) during ramadan and for the funeral we had to order dinner and saambuuse for all the visitors (too many to cook for).

So there we were sat at afur, dead tired from running around all day, yamming on the saambuse when this middle-aged xaliimo loudly complains 'maxaad tuna-sambuusaha uun u dalbateen, hilibbaa ka fiicnaan lahaa" thereby hinting that we had taken the cheap option with the tuna (200 of each was ordered but I guess just the tuna ones ayaa ku beegmay balaayada iimaanka la'). The lady came to pay her respects and we went to the effort and expense to feed her and she complains like a VIP guest la casuumay? I think my fast was wasted that day courtesy of the cay and habaar I indulged in.

But coming back to the nurses, a lot of UK hospitals are severely lagging in providing adequate care for inpatients, particularly the elderly, the mentally ill and other vulnerable patients such as those who don't speak the language. A lot of nurses ayaa jira who don't fulfill their duty of care to patients.

Actually, I spent some days at the hospital in Leicester due to internal knee swelling (had the good sense to call the ambulance, sensing a septicemia).

The treatment with IV antibiotics seemed chaotic (no full information), but I knew better than to rely fully on the changing team/skip a single injection.

Apart from one particularly bad apple, I was overwhelmed with all the care provided for free (from regular hot drinks...to free Taxi back home) as I was expecting a more rotten NHS unlike in continental Europe.

When all its said, the more informed and self-reliant, the better placed one is to make optimal use of the system (too many people have naive, blind faith in GPs or moderrn medicine, can't evaluate medical advise, or does not realise that their health is almost entirely in their hand in terms of prevention).

Nina Fox   

Valenteenah there should be a more compassionate approach towards the grieving families I agree sweety. My abti passed away in February (Ilaahey ha u naxariisto intii dhimatey) and as soon as ay nafta deysey within minutes (his face wasn't even covered walaahi cadiim, the body was still warm) and people started planning the lunch menu and the venue for the gathering. Yaab aniga. I was shocked at the audacity.

*************************************************************************************************************************

I noticed a lot of Malis complaining about the poor healthcare system in the UK. I believe its not that the Docs/Nurses have no knowledge, but its because the resources are overstretched due to this influx of qaxootis claiming free healthcare. A woman once said "If someone goes to the doctor and claims to have Aids or Cancer, the doctor would simply prescribe you a box of Paracetamol (equivalent to Tylenol) and ask you to come back after a week, to report how well you've recovered" lol.

Maternity is a serious business. A woman gets abundant information during pregnancy (in her own language) so there is no excuse for one to complain. The "holding the baby the second its born" thing is a western practice surely but you fill a form way ahead of time to inform the Midwives/Nurses of your choices.

When a woman is in labour, if she asks for a female doctor I believe she aint in real labour at all. Qof xanuun haayo doesn't have the time to be calling on favours. A doctor is a doctor in my opinion, I wouldn't care if it was a male Chimpanzee wearing a yellow bikini with a toy stethescope, if it can pop the baby out, thats your primary concern. :)

Juxa   

Val, adigu sanbuuse bey aheyd, ever seen islaan selling stuff at your mom's funeral? maalintaa labadeena mid baa la aasi lahaa, i had to be removed physically. to date markaan arko waan cowdi bileystaa i feel such deep hatred.

Somalida must be taught good manners, either in hospital or in other people's homes

Aaliyyah   

Val and Juxa it is sad to hear that ppl are being so heartless on funerals but to be honest for somalis it is more of a social gatherings than anything else. I went to couple of tacsis over the years and i see everytime bunch of people socialiazing sometimes even cracking jokes and i just wonder hw they allow this..

in my family there was only one tacsi that I remember almost a decade ago in Ramadan when my loving eedo passed away alle ha u naxaristo sabar iyo imana hanaga siiyo, till now I cry and my heart is heavy ..bt that's life. Anyhow, my point was my mom made food then I remember lots of food and we were serving throughout the day..bt then I was only abt 15 i dnt really remember thinking hey is this right? laakin hada after studying this topic and reading couple of books here and there I think it is haraam to serve foood and bother yourself when u are the one who is mourning..i mean serving drinks here and there is ok..bt seriously mesha ma aroos baa??..somalis need to correct that..cuz how can we ask a family who is mourning to cook plenty of food or even order outside? and run around serving as if it was a wedding? subhanalah..while ladies talk talk and talk some more about bs..ilaahow na cafi! sometimes pppl do things out of ignorance bt we gotta educate one another..islaanti tacsi in yar oo sheko ah laga dareemana albaabka lo balaqo oo la dhoho na soco gurgaaga aad!

my 2 cents

salaam

p.s shekada juxa sheegtay islaan maryaha gadasa tacsina ba wali iga dhaadhici karin..dadku xuma oo xasidsana..somali waxabdan in laga badalo weeye!

Som@li   

Over generalization and very racist remarks, If you are hammer , all you see is nails, if you are bigot , all you see is problem with Somalis!

Those b1tches should not be hired in the first place, they should be taught tolerance and respect for other cultures.

Juxa   

Aaliyah, i have attended many funerals and alhamdulilah now people understand abit, so they dont cook food in the family. food is ordered by son-in-laws or other distant relatives and through out the day tons of dates, cabitaan etc arrive.

it is just the manners that are lacking, the mood of tacsi should be somber, quite contemplation and duco for the departed. As you said ladies chat, tell jokes and talk about silly things

I hate to say it but the men are well mannered, they come, offer condolences and leave all within 5 minutes

Juxa, that's terrible walaahi. I haven't heard of anything like that before. Unfortunately despite what we feel kuma dhacno inaan habraha iyo dadka na soo booqdey bannanka u tuurno markey sidaasoo kale u dhaqmaan. Certainly waalidkeen would never stand for it and am pretty sure hadey Aaliya istiraahdo albaabka u balaq inay hooyadeed iskoobe u soo qaadan lahayd. Having said that, I'm not sure inaan u dulqaadan kari lahaa what that lady did, Juxa. Allah ha u naxariisto waalidkeena iyo muslimiinta intii geeryootayba. Amiin.

I also agree that those who actually care about the grieving family try to help out with kharashka geerida, which is very sweet.

NG, a little culture bashing has never hurt anybody!

Aaliyyah   

Aaliyah, i have attended many funerals and alhamdulilah now people understand abit, so they dont cook food in the family. food is ordered by son-in-laws or other distant relatives and through out the day tons of dates, cabitaan etc arrive.

Juxa, even ordering food, I don't agree with. Why would I bother ordering ?? kharashkaas oo dhan maxa familiga dul saaray...buy drinks and refreshments and whoever is paying their respect to the marxuum or marxuumada let them come in for 5 minutes and out of the door (just like u said guys do! n in fact many of them do! islamaha weeye waxa afka ka falan)..

n ordering food for relatives who came from far places that's fine...dhib ma leh! im talking abt magalada oo dhan oo ku leh alle ha u naxaristo marxuumka ama marxuumada maxa cuntadooda dusha iga saaray..

salaam

Aaliyyah   

Aaliya istiraahdo albaabka u balaq inay hooyadeed iskoobe u soo qaadan lahayd.

Lol Val, that's so true our parents care too much abt what other ppl think or say...

anyways, ameen to your duca Val. Alle ha u naxaristo Juxa hoyadeed oo sabar iyo imaan haka siiyo..anagana eheladiina intii dhimatay alle ha u naxaristo halkaas ba lo wada socda..allow xaqa na wafaji!

salaam