Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

Somali (Maternity) Patients

Also, I find that a lot of people who complain about 'difficult' nurses have lack of education about what goes on in the hospital. I don't know where you are, but in Canada, the nurseries for healthy babies are dying out. They are being replaced with 'family friendly' single maternity rooms - meaning that babies room in with the mother from birth till discharge. Only premature/sick babies are kept in special nurseries away from mom with critical care.

So, a nurse CANNOT take your kid while you sleep. She has other pts to see. She is not a babysitter. That's why it's recommended that someone come and stay with you during the hospital stay - be it spouse, family member, or friend.

ElPunto   

^I think Jacpher is more right than you are willing to accept.

First off - you don't have to like every aspect of your job but you should be passionate about helping people. Which is what nursing is all about. If you are passionate about helping people it will let you deal with the inevitable difficult and annoying folks. But if you aren't passionate about helping ppl everything will be a burden and that attitude will show itself to all patients. Secondly - you need to have a lot of patience and dulqaad. We all know people who think it's a burden if you ask them for a glass of milk out of the fridge and folks who will drive you to the ends of the earth or who think nothing of feeding 20 of your friends at a moment's notice. Please - please - if you''re the former do not go into nursing or other fields where you are dealing with human beings. Become a web developer or an author instead. I understand some of the difficulties of being a nurse stem from institutional cuts that expect a reduced number of nurses to do more work. But the 2 points above remain - I wish there was some way to screen nursing wannabes for those 2 criteria - it would make everyone happier.

I'm not sure why you're still against the idea of the patient as a customer. Clearly a 'customer' isn't always right in this setting - as in going against medical advice although that is a still one's choice at the end of the day. But the customer is in fact right when they're able bodied and they ask for seemingly 'superflous' requests such hand me the remote or sit me up - what they really want is attention and companionship. And this is part of good mental health - have you done your job fully if the patient is physically healed but felt like a non-entity while in your care?? In these 'superflous' situations - you have 3 choices - ignore them, go in there with a pissy attitude and perform the requests coldly, or do what you can as pleasantly as possible and if extremely busy promise to come by when things quiet down to chat and check up on the patient. Sad to say most nurses I have seen fall into the first 2 categories. Additionally - you talked about education and that some pts are not educated about nurses - that's part of your job quite frankly. As you go about your duties you should strive to tell patients where and what the boundaries for everyone's sake. This is a pipe dream - but I wish there was some form that every patient filled out to evaluate the doctors and nurses. This is taxpayer dollars. You must be held accountable and those health professionals particularly nurses who do an exceptional job should be financially rewarded.

Aaliyyah   

I personally have thought of applying to nursing school couple of times, and everytime what changed my mind was the fact that nurses are doing such a stressful job. So I understand where Femme is coming from, and the fact that she doesn't appreciate her patients taking her or other nurses for granted and expecting them to do every little thing. Given that they already have enough on their plate as it is..

At the same time, I guess most people who decide to do nursing know how stressful their job is, and should be more prepared to take it. Cuz honestly it takes a lot of patience to be a nurse. I admire the sisters who are nurses but I do admit that most of them at least the ones i KNOW here in Toronto are not really all that happy with their jobs, and like Femme they kinda believe it is just a job. But, one shouldn't make a career of something that they consider just a job (like I know there are bills that you have to pay and you know you need a job) but your career should be something you enjoy something that makes your day better...that's my opinion at least. Hope I don't come across as disrespectful in any way.

salaam

Blessed   

Idiotic generalisations on that thread. Sheesh. I do appreciate that nursing, midwivery and doctors have stressful jobs with long hours, despite this, many are passionate about their work and great at what they do.

On the flip side, I've also come across some annoying nurses who obviously didn't like their jobs take their own issues out on you. Then you have these arrogant doctors who do not respect the fact the you have an opinion or want to direct the care you recieve and some docs and nurses like those on that forum who lack the sense to know that Somalis are not all the same.

Juxa   

well anigu koleyba polite iyo nus baan ahay and i deal with somali people every single day for the past 5 years. It helps being firm but otherwise professional, but sometimes they really really know how to push your buttons.Ngonge oo kale baa jooga

As to the nurses, from my experience iyagoo is lulaya uunbaan arkaa, i blame the NHS, being over-worked and under paid). I remember once being in a teaching hospital, i was given a form and elected not to have students at the examination waxaaba iigu soo xigta mid ileh dont you know waa teaching hospital, tii aan dhigey dhagahaa farta la gashtay ( i had somali moment and filipped). Having said that one must be reasonable, hadii naftu timaado you get which ever doctor is available that moment.

ps: Malika you and rude mayaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

NGONGE   

^^ Anigo I'm never rude dee. Sankaan taaga, which keeps "social" chatter to a minimum but I'm never rude. :D

N.O.R.F   

I wouldn’t say Somalis are rude but just louder than most people and find it difficult to be diplomatic at times. I recently joined a bunch of guys who play footy regularly in a park here. Qaylada meesha ka baxda waa wax lala yaabo. The whole park (and its huge) which has loads of others playing nearby would stop and look when they hear ‘waar Cabdiyow waa ikan’ and ‘waar kasaar meesha’ :D

^^ Ha ha!

Femme, I have missed you! What do you say to spending less time at the hospital and more time on SOL? Your patients will either live or die ma aragtay - it's not really in your hands.

^LOL! You always knew where your priorities lie ;)

Unfortunately, SOL does not worship me as it used to. I'm insulted that I have two little green bars when some weirdos like Ngonge have 10! Oh, the indignity of it.

It burns me.

Nina Fox   

N.O.R.F;736314 wrote:
I wouldn’t say Somalis are rude but just louder than most people

I agree with ya. Forget ajanabi people, growing up I used to hate the Xalimos coming to visit mom. They would not even look at ya, all you hear is "Naa bal shaah ii keeen". I told mom once (infront of her friend), if this fat qumayo doesn't say PLEASE, I will not serve her. Needless to say I had an earfull from mom about respect and the somali etiquette. :)

Back to the topic: It is common decency to be polite when dealing with someone who is incharge of your health. I recently spent 3 days in a hospital and didn't have a problem. I wasn't expecting to be waited on hand and foot, but I took whatever was offered in stride. Maybe Im a naive optimist and never complain lol. Infact one of the nurses said to me "I haven't met a nicely behaved Somali in yonkers". Should I be offended here or just marinate in the compliment? Taking the nature of our people into consideration and the fact that she was a fellow African (Nigeria) made me revert from the answer I was going to give her. *Waa ka qaleyeey*. I see her point and actually agree with her. Dadkeena please and thank you maba isticmaalaan yaab badanaa.

Its been what, 20+ years out of Somalia, and our people have yet to learn Adaabta iyo Anshaxa. I cringe everytime Im in public and some random Farax or Xalimo is screaming at the top of their lungs either speaking on the phone or they're talking amongst themselves. They can be heard all the way to Hafuun I tell ya. I feel some people should check their eardrums, coz saan caadi maba ahan.

I don't know about other countries, but in the UK, Nurses are unappreciated and over worked maskiinyaasha. If you see someone unhappy in the career they've chosen its either they are not working in an unfriendly environment or they got prollemmms with their pay check. You think customer service in Europe and North America is bad, wait till you encounter a government/health worker in Syria or Uganda. You will grab whatever is thrown your way in the west with both hands, trust me.

Juxa   

^^ posterka NHSka lagugu soo dhajiyo waaye mugaas!

private health care is best way to go me thinks and it is not as expensive as one may think unless you are missing laab-xuunsho or suffering from cagaarshow halaabey ( eh in lay man's term unless you have serious pre-existing condition or terminal illness)