Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

A question regarding a quranic verse

“Kill not your children for fear of want: We shall provide sustenance for them as well as for you: verily the killing of them is a great sin.” (Al-Qur’an 17:31)

I was watching a documentary on famine and drought in Africa and other regions yesterday and they were showing all these malnourishned, starving children literally dying right before their parents eyes. Most of the children did not survive past the age of 5 and many of them went days and weeks without food or water. It was the most heartbreaking thing I have ever seen. Their sunken eyes, papery skin, enlarged empty tummies and lifeless look would have melted the most cold-hearted person. Watching this I felt so sad, helpless and grateful that I wasn't in those children or mothers' positions. Indeed we are so blessed.

Anyway, watching that the above verse came to my mind and it did not make sense to me at all. These mothers had 3,5,6 children and they couldn't even feed 2 of them. Their husband/sperm donar is always absent (I wonder where they are). I want to know what that verse means by saying 'we provide sustenance to them'. Sustenance to me means basic human needs such as food, water, shelter and clothing. How does that verse explain the millions of children dying of starvation all over the world? I understand not killing them of course, but why aren't these people encouraged to have less or no children? I'm not being heartless here - but what does it serve to birth children who you know you cannot provide for and know will die in infancy? ( I know that alot of the cases these parents have large number of kids so insure that at least some will survive and help the family out but...)

I feel so horrible for those people in these kind of situations but I cannot help but think that they need to stop having kids because they cannot even feed themselves.

What do you think? Can someone explain the meaning of the above verse to me?

Serious answers please.

Som@li   

If you can not take care of your family,(Regardless of size), you are not suppose to have them in the first place.

anyway,the Sheikhs will give you the answer, Insha allah.

-Lily-   

Femme, I read somewhere that the prophet adviced men not to get married if they could not afford to because it was unislamic to beg. Im not sure how absolutely true this is.

By the way Femme, what made you think God hasn't provided for them? Corruption and misery are man made. Most developing countries could really feed their people if the wealth/resources were equally distributed?

I know it is difficult but I trust in the greater wisdom of Allah, He knows what we don't.

Ameen   

Assalam alaikum

First and foremost, may Allah cause us to be among those who are grateful to Him.

In regards to you seeking an explanation to a world problem, through a verse, tells me that you are at least reflecting on your surroundings. Allah, the All-Wise, puts people through trails and only He has the right to legislate. He tests individuals through hardships which are always followed by ease. It is not proper for any of us (specially Muslims) to question the decree of Allah. Many people are starving which is causing them to die, but their deaths should not cause us to ask questions, but rather to turn to Allah and seek His help in addressing this problem, so we can have one less world disaster. In regards to the verses of the Quran, it is public knowledge that the Quran was revealed through a period of twenty-three years and Allah sent down the verses as events occurred, to correct the sahaaba and to guide them through His prophet (saw). Personally, I believe it is very dangerous to ask an “average Joe or Jane” such as myself, to explain a verse that Allah sent down from the heavens. But in any case, if an individual actually takes the time to look up the tafseer of a verse from the explanation of those who lived before us, than may Allah reward you for being the source of motivation.

Ibn Abaas, the greatest scholar from among the sahaaba who was known for his ability to explain the verses of the Quran says about this particular verse,

(Kill not your children). This verse was revealed about the tribe of Khuza'ah who used to bury their new born daughters alive, and so Allah forbade them from doing so, telling them not to bury their daughters alive, (fearing a fall to poverty) for fear of humiliation and poverty, (We shall provide for them) i.e. for your daughters (and for you. Lo! the slaying of them) burying them alive (is great sin) is a tremendous sin which deserves a great punishment.

So when we examine the verse through the explanation of Ibn Abaas, he tells us how and the cause of the revelation of this verse and it was due to an evil act from a tribe who lived amongst them. Our brains and logic can not explain everything that we see and are over-taken by. It may be that Allah, the Most-Merciful, may test those people that you observed with a hardship, but reward them with delights that your mind has never imagined because after all, Allah is Just and Most Kind to His slaves.

And Allah knows best.

Nur   

Femme sis

The keyword of your question is RIZQ.

What is Rizq?

Here is a piece i wrote in response on a similar question, hope it answers your question.

Your observation on the belief in Allah as provider of Rizq is partially valid, but most people mix between the fact that Allah provides Rizq and laziness in not seeking Rizq.

If you have read other eNuri threads on this topic, Rizq is a done deal, but how you go about it is a world of difference.

The iimaan of Rizq as a driver of our actions was documented in the following post of mine:

Health, Wealth and Wisdom are forms of (Rizq) or sustenance that Allah SWT distributes to his servants. They are like a flowing river, and each one gets as much as she deserves through her actions.

The Rizq ( sustenance) are of two types.

1. Rizq that you have to seek

2. Rizq that seeks you

The first Rizq, will not come-by without working for it.

The second Rizq will knock on your door without working for it.

The first Rizq is a token of Allah's ( Cadl) justice.

The second Rizq is a token of Allah's (Fadl) Generosity.

Several factors drive most of our actions:

First. Our search for survival ( Food and shelter)

Second . Our search for Procreation ( Marriage)

Third, Our search for security ( amn)

fourth. Our search for Recognition

The first one is guaranteed through RIZQ, every living creature will not die untill they consume all of their allotted RIZQ QUOTA.

The second is also another form of Rizq, a Husband, or a wife, a daughter or a son is the fun of life ( Ziinatul Xayaati Dunyaa).

The third type of RIZQ, security, can only be found through WORSHIP, because, iimaan as we have discussed is an offshoot of the word AMN, security, and without a firm belief of Allah one will never feel secure.

The fourth driver, dignity and the search to be respected is granted to all mankind when Allah SWT ordered Satan to bow down to Adam, Adam was honored and recognized by all creatures that day, but Satan refused to respect him, thus a rivalry between Man and Satan began and continues to this day. The best way to be recognized is through adherence to Allah's commands and directives, but Satan influnces mankind to seek recognition through other means such as accumulation of vast wealth and power that is used to make mischief on earth.

The Messenger of allah SAWS taught us that our Rizq is provided for us, but it is tied with our actions, so when you seek and get Rizq, it was Allah who ( Alhamaka) inspired you to seek and get Rizq. The Hadeeth reads " Jammiloo al talab" SEEK RIZQ with Grace.

For examlpe if your Rizq today is couple of hundred schillings, you will get that amount, but the means to get it are your choice for which you will be judged in the day of judgement, you can work for that amount, or you can steal it from someone.

Nur

Originally posted by WaTerLily:

By the way Femme, what made you think God hasn't provided for them? Corruption and misery are man made. Most developing countries could really feed their people if the wealth/resources were equally distributed?

I know it is difficult but I trust in the greater wisdom of Allah, He knows what we don't.

I think she came close to what I had wanted to add.Where this individuals reside lies corruption, mismanagement and unfair distribution of wealth...The guys who ate their resources are happily settled in the west with their families...

More so....I hate plain sperm donors who ain't responsible..It surely causes great anguish to our sisters..

Behave!!!..I said Men behave...

Khalaf   

some are rich some are poor, some die some are born......dats how world goes. i found these pictures on somalia........many ways to earn Jannah....give in charity as Allah Most Great commanded us.

TL011415.jpg

"Spend something (in charity) out of the substance which We have bestowed on you, before Death should come to any of you and he should say, "O my Lord! why didst Thou not give me respite for a little while? I should then have given (largely) in charity, and I should have been one of the doers of good".

" - The Holy Quran, 63:10

TL017964.jpg

Prophet scw said: Anyone who looks after and works for a widow and a poor person is like a warrior fighting for Allahs cause, or like a person who fasts during the day and prays all night. (Bukhari)

help.....and you will be helped on the day of judegement inshallah.

Nur   

Help is on the way, the US Ambassador Bolton at the UN is asking Chief Anarchist Kofi Anan to expeite a shipment of US weapons so these kids can bite the bullet.

Nur

Ameen   

Is it not, former US Ambassador to the UN Bolton, since his recent resignation from his duties. Do you think the fact the he tried to help this every fearful nation of Somalia, that the US is despertly trying to keep at bay, got him fired? Oh well, but when the Muslims come together as ONE than inshallah we will witness a change spiritually and pysically across the world. Plus these pictures, although it may bring us pain, they should also motivate us to pay our Zakat and give in charity inshallah.

And Allah knows best