Sign in to follow this  
lulla

Are you allow to have dogs as a pet if u are muslim????

lulla   

I know this somalian man who is blind and he don't have anyone to help all the time. so i was wondering u know if he is allow to have a train dog help him out? I know somewhere he can get a free train dog who would do whatever the guy him to do.

I know my mom's family used to have one when they were growing up, and my neighbors back home also had a one too.

If it is gonna help him get around, definitely go for it.

xoxox

bilan   

i hope this answers your question:

Is it haram or even undesireable for us to touch dogs? I have heard many Muslims say that dogs are dirty and Satan has spit on them. Also, that if we do touch a dog, we have to wash our hands several times. I haven't been able to find anything concerning this in the Qur'an, Hadith, or Islamic books. Please help.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

The answer to this question is twofold:

1 – The ruling on keeping a dog.

It is haraam to keep a dog unless it is for the purposes for which Islam permits keeping dogs. Whoever keeps a dog – except a dog for hunting or farming – his reward will decrease each day by one or two qeeraats.

It was narrated that Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: ‘Whoever keeps a dog, except a dog that is trained for hunting or a dog for herding livestock, his reward will decrease each day by two qeeraats.’” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5059; Muslim, 2941; according to another version narrated by them both, “one qeeraat”).

The word qeeraat refers to a large amount of reward; if a person’s reward decreases by one qeeraat, that means that he is sinning, for losing reward is like earning sin, both indicate that something is haraam because of the consequences it leads to.

The impurity of dogs is the greatest of animal impurities. The impurity of a dog can only be removed by washing seven times, one of which should be with earth. Even pigs, which the Qur’aan states are haraam and describes as an abomination (rijs) are not naajis (impure) to such an extent.

Dogs are impure and filthy, but unfortunately we find that some people are attracted to the ways of the kuffaar and their filthy habits, so they have started to keep dogs unnecessarily for no reason, keeping them, training them and cleaning them even though they can never be clean, even if they were washed with the waters of the ocean, because they are essentially impure.

Our advice to them is to repent to Allaah and to get the dogs out of their homes.

But in the case of dogs which are needed for hunting, farming and herding livestock, there is nothing wrong with that because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) gave permission for that. If you throw this dog out of your house, you will no longer be responsible for it, so do not keep it with you.

2 – The ruling on touching a dog

If you touch it when it is not wet, then your hand does not become impure, but if you touch it when it is wet, this means that the hand becomes impure, according to the opinion of many scholars, and the hand must be washed seven times, one of which should be with earth.

With regard to vessels, if a dog has licked a vessel (i.e., drunk from it), then the vessel must be washed seven times, one of which should be with earth, as was proven in al-Saheehayn and elsewhere, in the hadeeth narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If a dog licks the vessel of any one of you, let him wash it seven times, one of which should be with water.” It is better if the washing with earth be the first washing. And Allaah knows best.

See Majmoo’ Fataawa al-Shaykh Muhammad ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 11/246; Fataawa Islamiyyah, 4/447.

Islam Q&A

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid (www.islam-qa.com)

ladane   

Good topic sista

I believe it is allowed to have dogs for only beneficial reasons. For example it is permitted islamically to use dogs for hunting purposes while it is even halal to eat the animals that they hunt. Also the Mailki madham is the nearest madhab that allows the usage of dogs for variety of purposes.

To come back to the original point. though I am not a scholar I believe he would come under the category of the usage of beneficial reasons however it would even be better if he (or you) could ask a scholar to get appropriate fatwa

Wasalam

am wondering if someone can help me. i have just made friends recebtky with someone i like n respect alot,the seem to be religious and respectfull of their deen, however the person shocked me when the told me that they have a dog as a pet, which as far as am aware of is a definate no no, and on the same level as eating haram food for example. so my question is can someone help me in advicing me how i should persude this friend of mine that this is the position and that it is indeed haram to have a dog for a pet. thx

Ariadne   

I think its forbidden to have a dog as a pet in islam because they are considered najassa there wet noses due to toilet drinking not to sure though

Baby_G   

WELL AS SAID IT IS HARAAM 2 KEEP A DOG AS A PET FOR NO NECESSITY.

THE PROPHET (PBUH) SAID:

"IF A DOG LICKS A PLATE (OR POT), CLEAN IT SEVERAL TIMES, OF WHICH ONE TIME SHOULD BE WITH SAND (OR EARTH).

NUNNE IF UR THINKIN OG GETTIN 1 FOR UR OWN PLAESURE (NO NECESSITY WHAT SO EVER) THEN WALAL THINK AGAIN.

LULLA I THINK U SHOULD GET DIS GUY 2 GET 1. SEEIN AS HES BLIND AN ALL.

PEACE AN LUV YALL smile.gif

RamSeeS   

WELL I AGREW WITH CUTIE IT,S FORBIDDEN IN ISLAM BUT IF THERE WAS CLEAR REASON TO KEEP A DOG FOR BLIND PPL FOR INSTANCE I DONT THINK THERE,S WRONG WITH IT.