Sign in to follow this  
Xaaji Xunjuf

Somalilanders in the république de Djibouti Celebrate Somalilands statehood anniversary+PICS.

Thankful   

G.O.E.T.I.A;722718 wrote:
^^ lool
:D

anyways, no doubt about it as 2/3 of somalis are descendents of that region.

I agree 100%, as most of us surely know.

However, these numbers tell you how little support secessionists have in Djibouti

EXCLUSIVE_18_MAY_SOMALILAND_IN_DJIBOUTI7

^^ Thankful, the djiboutians have a bad perception on South Somalia and most of them would support secessionism if they had a say in the affair (If there were a Yes or no vote on Somaliland for the djiboutian masses, Im pretty sure yes would be The majority, all you need to do is remind them of al-shabab and siad bare, they'll switch sides and that's about it), however it depends on our ruling elite's decision, because those see it as not in our djiboutian interest to support the division of Somalia.

This shows you how bad somalilanders have failed in selling their agenda and convincing our elite to recognize them. Grassroot support means shit, Silanyo's diplomacy has failed if he can't even get little Djibouti to recognize his sorry old butt.

Ps.! by ruling elite = i mean the somali indigenous of djibouti, those who are not biased and don't get all emotional for secession and only care about our interests= the brave "I" clan of Djibouti!

It is true that in the last few years more of the average Djibs would see permanent secession as more palatable than in the past but I highly doubt a majority would support it, including many from Hargeysa, let alone the elite.

Why so? well, fears of Addis hegemony as the foremost factor, but also qualms about dividing a sister nation in her hour of need alongside expected major clan clashes, not to mention that the Zeyla/Borama clans (whose lands comprise a good part of Somaliland) are still very reserved etc.

On pure self-interested grounds, many of us may have better opportunities if not much bigger ambitions in an independent Somaliland than in Djibouti thanks to nepotism, clans/ethnic "quotas" etc; however, beyond a certain level of intellect and ethics as well as emotional lucidity, this seldom factors in the equation (even though restricting secession to lands unequivocally supportive may allow secessionists better moral credibility)...

PS: All the clues point out that Silaanyo and similar leaders are definitely not as dogmatic as the masses; yet, they can not, of course, afford to appear agnostic on such an emotional issue.