Sign in to follow this  
Jacpher

178 killed in Somalia clashes

Jacpher   

At least 178 people, including 57 civilians, have been killed and several others injured in clashes between government forces and al-Shabab fighters in Somalia.

Heavy fighting erupted in the outskirts of Dhobley on Sunday and security forces could eventually take control of the town, killing at least 44 al-Shabab fighters, a Press TV correspondent reported.

The government says Al-Shabaab fighters targeted houses in Dhoobley, causing hundreds of families to flee their homes.

At least 178 people are reported to have died in the fighting from both sides. Al-Shabab has confirmed that it has lost the towns of Dhoobley and Liboi to government forces.

Heavy machine guns, mortars and anti-aircraft guns were used in the exchange of fire that wounded at least 140 people, including civilians

Fighting has turned more violent since Prime Minister Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed announced a new offensive on February 23 and said that 17,000 African Union and Somali soldiers will continue to fight until al-Shabab's hold on the capital, Mogadishu, and other cities is shattered.

Dozens of government soldiers, opposition fighters and civilian have since been killed on a daily basis, reducing the possibility of reaching a peaceful solution to the crisis.

Somalia has been without an effective central government since former dictator Siad Barre was overthrown by warlords in 1991.

Somali government controls only a small part of Mogadishu. Lack of coordination among its forces, who are barely trained and seldom get paid, has for long barred the government's promise of a full-scale war against opposition fighters.

Fighting, famine and disease have led to the death of nearly one million people in the African country and crushed all government efforts at restoring security.

There are more than 1.4 million internally displaced persons in Somalia. More than 300,000 of them are sheltered in Mogadishu alone.

Jacpher   

Reportedly 178 including 57 civilian died, brought to you by Azania. What a record. Never before Azania has a new admin managed to cause 178 with 57 civilians killed in its first week of inception. Great way to start and a qualifying membership for Gaandi to dagaal-ooge club.

Waxaan la yaabay dadka arrinta taageersan oo hardcore believers in tolka noqday, don't they see the obvious of the most obvious? Waxa meesha ku dhamaanaya waa of the same tol. With Madoobe, Kimbooni boys and Garisa recruits on one side and AS of Dhoobleey majority of whom M Sub on the other side. What in world is going on? History repeating itself?

Professor Gaandi must shoulder the full responsibility of having these cousins kill each other mercilessly for his own personal political gains. What a shame.

The Zack   

Jacphar, I am not sure where u r going with this sxb? Did u want the shabaabs to continue holding those regions? Waaxay bloodkan aad sheegi, somebody had to kick these cannibals out of this region regardless of their clan, if Gaandhi is doing so, so be it! One correction though the majority of the deceased are not civilians.

Jacpher   

^so Azania is gonna fck its way to power?

Really? If that's the strategy here, why even bother it. I mean how is this any difference than say....I know I am going to use a crazy example like AS. Isn't that what AS do day in/out? Shoot their way to into implementing the Shareeca. Shoot their way to arrest a guy chewing some jaad or stole some banana. Seriously, the problem with AS is not they don't want to negotiate. They shoot into the negotiating table and that's exactly what seems to be taking place in Dhoobleey.

The Zack   

That is exactly what Azania shall do. There is no place in this world that has been freed without the barrel of the you know what.

Complete   

Ilahay ha uu naxariisto dhamaan dadkaas and their family members. Maxaa ugh xigo if they were to clash in the middle of no where where they wouldn't be forced to take the lives of innocent people? God bless them all.

Jacpher   

The Zack;708753 wrote:
By the way, isn't that what the beloved yusuf did in the 1990s when aweys and his itixaad took over Bosaso?

So your role model is Yeey and you strategy is AS. What's new here? What could you possibly bring to the table that wasn't already here? Save to say Azania is just another proxy war led by power hungry warlords?

By the way, when I said history repeating itself, I was referring to that incident. I've heard so many stories about blood brothers and relatives hunting each other down like pitbulls on steroids. Not lesson enough for you I guess since you want to emulate it in other towns.

NASSIR   

Jacphar, this unprecedented loss of lives is total madness. However, TFG does the same in its singular objective to defeat the radicals. Kenya is concerned of its border security, hence its rigid shift of policy towards Somalia. Like TFG, Azania seems to have secured the backing of regional and international support just to contain al-Shabaab or defeat them eventually.