Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

A case of copyright infringment in Somaliland?

which is different from copyright. copyright deals with a creative work of authorship such as a book, play etc.

trademarks deals with company logos, names, and short phrases e.g "Just do it" for nike is trademark.

but the trouble with trademarks is that to enforce your trademark against another company you have to register your trademar, how that would be done in somalia/land I dont know.

and the other problem is that if you dont actively protect your trademark against dilution you lose it.

for example 'kleenex' is commonly used to describe tissue paper even though it is only a specific brand of tissue paper ... the trade mark is so diluted that it is no longer enforceable.

and you can have similar/identical company names if there is no risk of the customer getting confused .. or one company unfairly benefiting from the good name established by a competitor through quality and hardworkd.

that is why the Apple computer had to settle a lawsuit with Apple music (the company that produced the beatles) , when Apple computers entered the music game (itunes)

after that lenghty lecture waan haraaday ... how have you been doing my fellow nomads ?

N.O.R.F;707482 wrote:
Its an interesting case Zamzam have to answer. They are not the first to have a similar logo to Maaxda (Saxansaxo also have a similar label/logo).

There are no copyright laws but what would happen if this was the UK for example? Would Maaxda have a case? Also, this what it takes for such laws to be considered. I'm sure both Alpha and Nuune wouldn't like competitors using a similar logo to thei own.

If copyright laws are not introduced then this is what happens - court cases and bad business practices. Somalis need to understand copying isn't the way forward. Just look at all those ads on the Somali channels. Imisaa isku dayanaaya?

Disclaimer: I may be biased heh

Didnt you have close and personal ties with maaxda mineral water. some even say your a shareholder. of course, your views are bias. I

N.O.R.F   

^I just think there should be a debate on this. Somalis are business minded people but is it ok to have labels looking the same as a competitor?

Geel_jire;707847 wrote:
which is different from copyright. copyright deals with a creative work of authorship such as a book, play etc.

trademarks deals with company logos, names, and short phrases e.g "Just do it" for nike is trademark.

but the trouble with trademarks is that to enforce your trademark against another company you have to register your trademar, how that would be done in somalia/land I dont know.

and the other problem is that if you dont actively protect your trademark against dilution you lose it.

for example 'kleenex' is commonly used to describe tissue paper even though it is only a specific brand of tissue paper ... the trade mark is so diluted that it is no longer enforceable.

and you can have similar/identical company names if there is no risk of the customer getting confused .. or one company unfairly benefiting from the good name established by a competitor through quality and hardworkd.

that is why the Apple computer had to settle a lawsuit with Apple music (the company that produced the beatles) , when Apple computers entered the music game (itunes)

after that lenghty lecture waan haraaday ... how have you been doing my fellow nomads ?

My bad. Trademark it is.

Welcome back.

NGONGE   

nuune;707498 wrote:
What copyright, what logo, what design, war illeen anagaa wax aragney

DSC_03031-300x271.jpg

Disclaimer: I am not a shareholder of Zamzam & Maaxda

Whatever the dispute, this picture proves byond any doubt that Zamzam water is te more popular one. The Maaxda bottle is still have full (or have empty, depending on your outlook on life). :D

nuune   

^^ hehehe exactly my point, and that is why Maaxda is suing Zamzam, suuqii baa laga saarey

N.O.R.F   

:D @ Ngonge

Nuune, there are many water companies. Maaxda has the largest share and furthest reach. Available in Djibouti and even Xamar before the Ethio invasion. Waar macaa Iraaq baa lo diri jiray when Daallo was operating cargo there.