Sign in to follow this  
Siciid1986

Somalis and the reverence for age

Somalis and the reverence for age

In that peaceful region of Somaliland, there exists a group of individuals venerated for their knowledge, experience, and just plain ability to outlive almost everyone else. In an earlier post, I wrote about one man reputed to have lived to the age of 135 years. While I cannot vouch for the authenticity of these claims, I do believe they are made in good faith. In Somaliland, I have witnessed many a sight of old people (meaning well over 70 years old) trudging along some stony path with nothing more than a teapot, a head wrap, and a bottle of water.

The last time I was in Somaliland, I visited an area called Gacaan Libaax ("Lion's Paw") and was told the case of a venerable of about 75 years old who still makes the weekly walk to his family's village about 10 kilometers away and back in a single day. That's a 12 mile hike for someone who in another country would be either making monthly visits to their doctor, supine in front of a TV, or dead.

Now, the photo of the man above is from my friend, Ahmed, who got it from another friend and claims that the individual is called, Hassan Faras, and is 120 years old. Again, another enigma lacking documentary proof. However, it is not an unusual story where the altitude is high, disease is low, and people get lots of exercise, eat healthily, and have low stress (excepting the occasional war).

What I love about these stories is that in each case the individuals mentioned are still active participants in their communities and respected as elders. When was the last time you ever heard that term applied to old people in the west without being ironical?

Dignity is also important. I remember how mortified I was when I first saw a 65 plus year old man bagging groceries for minimum wage at the supermarket in my home town. At least I know one corner of the world where old people are revered for what they know and not for what they banked.

http://runningdogyankee.blogspot.com/

Showqi   

Siciid1986;705706 wrote:
Now, the photo of the man above is from my friend, Ahmed, who got it from another friend and claims that the individual is called, Hassan Faras, and is 120 years old.

I saw the picture Mansha-Allah Odeygu wuxuu u egyaha nin caafimaad qaba. Wajigiisa coodh coodh badani kuma yaalo, Macal iyo Caloolna warkooda daa. Odeygu waa Muruq iyo Seed. Illaahay cimrigiisa ha daayo

BOB   

Maasha Allah he looks healthy and peaceful...may allah bless him Insha Allah.

I wish I could spend some time with him and learn from him then listen to his stories as he’d overflow my mind with some of his wisdom and last but not least I’d have written down all the poems he composed, memorised or even heard being recited by other poets.

Not many Somalis are aware of this today but we need the guidance of people like him who have seen it all and done it all...we started going stray the day we stopped listening, respecting and consulting with our elders who has been safeguarding the dignity, the history, the culture, the customs, the traditions of our great Somali nation throughout our existence.

If we want to progress as a nation we need to make peace with our past in order to move forward, we need to correct our past mistakes before we even contemplate about a future.

Peace, Love & Unity.