Sign in to follow this  
Jacpher

Somali Civil War Death Toll

Jacpher   

Is there any records, stats, or documentation of the death toll of Somali civil war? Today marks the 20th anniversary of the fall of Siyaad Barre and the beginning of the brutal Civil War that led to Somalia what is has become.

Given the million plus news websites, news networks/org, and the plenty of journalists and TVs we have, anyone keeping a record of the death toll of this civil war? I understand the difficult of such task but there's gotta be a way to at least know how many of our own we have killed. I read somewhere around 300 thousand died in the conflict + starvation but something is telling me the bulk of this casualty is Mogadisho and Baydhabo alone. What about the rest of the South? PL and SL?

Somalia (1991 et seq.): 500,000 [make link]

• Civil War (estimates arranged chronologically)
      • Encarta: 50,000 killed in fighting and 300,000 dead of starvation (in 23 months following Jan. 1991)
      • Washington Post: 350,000 (12 Feb. 1993)
      • CDI: 350,000 (1978-97)
      • War Annual 8 (1997): 500,000
      • 14 Dec. 1998 Vancouver Sun: 400,000 deaths from war, famine and disease since 1991. 300,000 in 1991-92.
      • 23 May 1999 Denver Rocky Mtn News: 350,000 by end of 1992; 1M total to 1999
      • Ploughshares 2000: 350,000
      • IRIN, a UN humanitarian information unit: 300,000 killed during 14 years of war [http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/news/2004/11/mil-041105-irin03.htm]
      • Bradley S. Klapper, “Internally Displaced Somalis Face Widespread Abuses: Campaigners”, November 24, 2004, Associated Press: 500,000
      • “Failed state: 15 years of horror in Somalia”, June 5, 2006, Agence France Presse: 500,000
      • The Nation, “No Running Away From Somalia”, June 29, 2007, Africa News: 500,000

Then there are countless more killed by floods, droughts, hunger, disease, the 10,000 killed by the u.s invasion, those killed by the ethio invasions, those killed by clan-warfare. Even today they are dying in multiples of tens. Then there is the conflict in Somali Galbeed.

ah I almost forgot the hundreds if not thousands perished in the high seas and died crossing the sahara desert.

i reckon its at least 600,000 people. of which about a sixth died in actual war and other protracted conflicts. the other half million died from maladministration, mis-management of resources, environmental degradation and other factors.

A_Khadar   

Allhu Aclam.. Intii dhimatay alle ha u naxariisto.. There is no and will never be a good estimate to numbers but wild guess would be close to the million.