Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Independence is “up to the people of Somalia to decide,” said Ethiopia’s Foreign Minister

Ayoub...Eritrea and Southern Sudan might have shed blood and tears but in the end, they had to sit down with their adversaries and worked out a deal. They did not unilaterally declared independence. Your mistake was thinking you only have to secure Burco, Harg iyo Ber and yell independence, and the world will accept it. Your "Mujahids" should have marched to Xamar and forced independence but I guess that ship has sailed.

Wiil Cusub...Ethiopia doesn't want any Somali Government even in the form of independent Somaliland.

Thankful   

The
Ethiopian Peoples Revolutionary Democratic Front (EPRDF) convened a conference in Addis Ababa attended by 28 other Ethiopian parties and organizations. The participants voted to endorse Ethiopia's National Charter which, among other provisions, accepted the right of the Eritrean people to self-determination.
They outlined the support of the new Transitional Government of Ethiopia (TGE) for the internationally-supervised referendum de-cided upon by the PGE.

http://www.dehai.org/conflict/history/birth_of_a_nation.htm#Eritrean_Referendum

As North Sudan agreed to allow the South to hold a referendum, so did Ethiopia in regards to Eritrea! This is why the AU and anyone else refuses to accept the legality of NW Somalia!

NW Somalia, needs to deal with the TFG or continue to have absolutely no countries in the world recognizing them!

NASSIR   

Thankful, this whole secessionist project is believed by majority of Somalis to be a "bargaining chip".

The claim that they "withdrew from the union" is utterly false. The two regions inhabited by the same people under separate but equally ruthless colonial admins faught together for their freedom and had agreed to unite forever, long before political independence.

Besides, there is no need for Mogadisho to agree to a nation-wide referéndum. Somalia is already a homogenous nation with one language and beautiful Culture.

ElPunto   

AYOUB;688761 wrote:

“Keep on going and don’t give up, because you have already achieved a lot and to tell you the truth, the Africans and Arabs should have been proud of you, but this is something the Africans and the Arabs owe you and I am quite sure that one day Somaliland will sit on her rightful place in the African Union and in the other institutions of the world. It took our country the Sahrawi Arab Republic, a long time and a long struggle to reach where we are today. Although our president is today sitting among the presidents of Africa and our flag is represented in this front desk, but the conference of the presidents of Africa during Ja’far Al-Numeire’s regime in 1978, held in Sudan, I was arrested in Khartoum when I arrived here in order to participate in the conference, representing my country. If it is African Union or the Arabs or United Nations, they can easily investigate the difference between, say, the Sahrawi Republic and Morocco, or the difference between Somaliland and Somalia. It is impossible to say that I am the only one that exists and will continue to exist, because I will say – me too; you do not exist either. So, let us see whom you can defeat in a battle. Did you ever win a war?”

- Mr. Mohamed Yeslem Beissat, Ambassador of Sahrawi Arab Republic to Algeria

amb.sahara.jpg

Sadly there is no Sahrawi Arab Republic. And it doesn't look there will be any time soon. It's funny the rep was engaging in the way duushay talk whe he said 'a long struggle to reach where we are today' - according to most experts they're at diddly squat. But if it makes you feel better go right ahead.

Bottem line is:

-Somaliland cares about its own interest.

-Ethiopia cares about its own interest.

-When will you guys care about your own interest(the interest of Somalia)? :D

AYOUB   

ElPunto;689014 wrote:
Sadly there is no Sahrawi Arab Republic. And it doesn't look there will be any time soon. It's funny the rep was engaging in the
way duushay
talk whe he said 'a long struggle to reach where we are today' - according to most experts they're at diddly squat. But if it makes you feel better go right ahead.

A lot of "experts" also believe Somalia exists in name only. If Diplomatic Recognition is not be-all and end-all; then Somaliland exists and this topic is redundant.

The point I was trying to convey with the Sahrawi example was; there is more than one way to skin a cat when it comes gaining Diplomatic Recognition in Africa. Sahrawi is gaining it even though Morocco refuses to sit down and negotiate a peaceful resolution for that conflict and some members of the "international clan" had enough of the Moroccans' attitude and belligerence. That gives hope even to pessimists among Somalilanders who think Somalia is incapable of reaching a peaceful settlement with Somaliland.

Fact is, there are several examples the people of Somalia and Somaliland can chose from in my opinion. The question is which one would they pick? Sahrawi-Morocco? Ethiopia-Eritrea? Senegal-Gambia? There is even Egypt-Syria example if we broaden the horizons. Which one will it be and at what cost? Every sane person knows best way is for them to sit down and decide their fate in respectful and amicable manner - but chances are this will only happen when the barrel of the gun method has been exhausted.

AYOUB   

A

Che -Guevara;688862 wrote:
Ayoub...Eritrea and Southern Sudan might have shed blood and tears but in the end, they had to sit down with their adversaries and worked out a deal. They did not unilaterally declared independence.

You're being your usual disingenuous self. If the people of Somalia were able to "sit down with their adversaries and worked out a deal", Somalia would not be "the failed State" today. Somaliland leaders' 1991 decision to withdraw from the 1960 Union with Somalia was made ONLY AFTER some of Somalia's warlords who took part in the toppling of Gen. Barre's regime decided to declare a new "government" without consultation with people of what is now Somaliland. Has Somalia produced what could be considered a "negotiating partner" since then? What did you want the people of Somaliland to do?

Remember, even before the warlords' betrayals of 1990s, Somalilanders had seen Somalia's politicians breached their trust and Somainimo-driven goodwill back in the1960s. In the 1980's Gen. Barre betrayed the Somalilanders that were trying to end the civil war by negotiating with him by cuting another deal with Ethiopia's Mengistu - which not only double-crossed Somalilanders but also sold out Kilil5vers. The truth is; Somalia and sincere negotiations don't go together. Are you saying Somalilanders should've waited for leadership of the people of Somalia to gain sense of political maturity and however long that takes? Has the Somalia of the last decades not been all about suffering caused by insincere negotiations and breach of "peace deals"? Would we (and the media) be talking about Somaliland today if Somalilanders took the political rhetoric coming from "Somalians" like you at face value and just sat on the hands for the last 20 years while wishing for a miracle from the south?

Your mistake was thinking you only have to secure Burco, Harg iyo Ber and yell independence, and the world will accept it.Your "Mujahids" should have marched to Xamar and forced independence but I guess that ship has sailed..

Says a Shabaab supporter who claims he no longer wears clannish gogles. Thanks but but no JZK for your advice.

PS SPLA & Co did not have to take Khartoum to gain its people's right to express their self-determination. Sahrawi did not have to get Rabat's blessing for the Diplomatic Recognitions they've gained so far. Even Eritreans' case is somehow unique and there's no magic formula. With (special clannish 20/20-vision-shabaab-style goggles) hindsight, I'm sure you're capable of going back to 1970s say "your mistake was..." to the above mentioned people too. But the fact remains; they all had to struggle/still struggling for settlement via peaceful negotiations.

I believe Somaliland has been on a right track - bearing in mind its circumstances. The reason even the likes of bloomberg are covering Somaliland testifies to this. Truth is, ONLF supporters like our own Zack might celebrate the Ethio FM comments, but deep down they would love to be in the limelight Somaliland is getting from South Sudan referendum. :) All in all, isku wada duubow....Somaliland's 1991 decision to withdrawal from the Union with Somalia has been proven correct and the deserved diplomatic icing on the cake will follow sooner or later inshAllah...

Wiil Cusub...Ethiopia doesn't want any Somali Government even in the form of independent Somaliland.

Aaah so conspiracy theories that SL is a Meles/xabashi project are no longer valid?

that case Somaliland exists

What makes me feel right in the head is Somaliland exists. Majority of the people in Somaliland feel the same way.

Thankful   

Of course it is! Why do you think the Ethiopians had funded and trained the SSDF, SNM and USC separately to destroy our nation? They want Somalia to be fragmented and weak! That’s why they won’t recognize you!

Thankful   

JB, you are the most devote leader of the secessionists. If your enclave is serious about independence and since your brother neighbour Ethiopia made it clear that you have to ask the TFG for permission...I suggest that you lead the delegation from Hargeysa and try and plead your case to Sharif or whoever may be the President!