Sign in to follow this  
Rahima

~~Winners of Ramadaan~~

Rahima   

Asalaamu Calaykum all,

First example, I was on my way to the mosque for the Taraweeh prayer and I saw a very old man walking with his staff, dragging his feet step by step. You can tell that he was very ill and tired. But after all this he left his house, although he had an excuse for not praying in the masjid. So why did he do so? The answer being the reward of the congregational prayer and the reward of the Taraweeh prayer! He reminded me of the companion Ibn Masood radiallahu ‘anhu who said that: “An old man used to be brought for the congregational prayer, and we used to place him between two young men for him to lean on them in order to stand in the row.” If these are not the winners of Ramadan then who is? The youth who look for an Imam that recites Qul Huwa Allahu Ahad in prayer, don’t they realize that the longer we stand during the prayer the shorter we will stand on the Day of Judgment insha’Allah.

Second example, I will not forget that old woman, who could hardly walk to get to the masjid. She was walking slowly with short steps till she went into the masjid. I was told later that she prayed standing up all night (where they read at least 1 juzz of Qur’an for taraweeh). She refused to sit down although she had an excuse… Isn’t this a lesson for us? A lesson for those who are in their 20s, 30s, 40s & 50s? When I heard what she did my eyes were full of tears and I started repeating “O God help her, O God make it easy for her, O God accept it from her. O God if these kind of people were not the winners of Ramadan than who else is?

Third example was a man whom I knew. He was a wealthy man who used to give charity all the time. I looked for him after ‘Asr prayer in all of his shops but I didn’t find him there. Someone told me to look for him in a nearby masjid. So I went there and I found that the whole masjid was full of food; plates were everywhere to an extent that you could hardly place your feet inside the mosque. The plates had all different kinds of food. I knew it was my friend’s, so I looked for him and he was busy preparing the plates… and 5 minutes before Iftar the masjid was full of workers. More than a 1000 of them came to break their fast at that masjid. I said to myself: “SubhaanAllah while most business men are busy with their businesses, this man is doing a trade with Allah. It wasn’t enough for him to give away charity to the fasting ones, but he stood by himself and worked with his own hands to feed those 1000 workers, and probably the good he does in secret is more.” Then I remembered the hadith “Someone’s wealth will not be eliminated by giving charity”. I left the masjid pushing my way through, leaving the poor breaking their fasting, and said “O God accept this from him. O God bless him, his wealth and children. O God increase him in wealth and health. O God if he was not amongst the winners of Ramadan then who else is?

Another example are those people whom you hear their weeping during the recitation of the Qur’an in Taraweeh prayer. Especially in Sujood you hear their cry for God out of fear and hope. They reminded me of the hadith of the prophet (peace be upon him) which says “He will not enter the fire whomever cried out of fear of God”… If they are not the winners of Ramadan then who else is?

Another example, I met some sisters who came to ask me regarding topics for their halaqah. They asked me what kinds of books and tapes to give as a gift to others. I heard that they meet to recite the Quran and discuss issues regarding it and they save their money to buy books/tapes to give as gifts…if God doesn’t accept from them than who else will?

Another example, look at what people do during the breaks between the Taraweeh prayer … You will find one reciting the Qur’an, one standing up for prayer, one making dhikr of God, one raising his hands and making duaa (supplication). Once I saw a young man sitting at the corner of the masjid during the Taraweeh break. He was someone who used to disobey God and never really cared about doing any good. I saw him on that night covering his face with his hands and crying. I said to myself maybe he has committed a major sin or he remembered his past sins. I tried to ignore him but the way he was crying just grabbed my attention. I wished that I could say to him “Congratulations for your Tawbah (repentance). Congratulations for knowing The Mighty God. May God make you of the righteous.” Or at least remind him of the verse which says:

[say: "O My slaves who have transgressed against themselves (by committing evil deeds and sins)! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah, verily God forgives all sins. Truly, He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.]

Another example is that of a woman who worked very hard to raise her children Islamically. Day by day she is there with them teaching them their religion, but she used to feel sorrowful for not being able to pray taraweeh with the Muslims in the masjid. She used to pray at home, but when she wanted to concentrate on her prayers her children used to disturb her. All she used to do is cry out for not being able to perform the prayer with concentration. When the last 10 days of Ramadan came she stayed till her children slept then she took her Suhoor and left for the mosque to spend the night there. Finally, she was able to pray with concentration but half way through she remembered her children alone at home so she left the masjid and came back and continued the prayer at home. She heard the Imam of the masjid reciting the verse which says “Those who hasten to good things and they are foremost in (attaining) them.” she started weeping thinking that those people who go to the masjid are those whom Allah meant by the verse… she came to me crying and told me what happened…. I said to her don’t worry be patient and seek reward from Allah, the Prophet (peace be upon him) said that “whomever Allah grants daughters in this life and the parents raise them to be good Muslims they will be a shield for them from the hellfire” I said to her ‘may Allah make you of the winners of Ramadan…because if not you than who else?… Would it be those who don’t care about their children? Would it be those who don’t care who their children hang around with? Would it be those who never cared to teach their children the love of the Prophet (peace be upon him), although the Prophet (peace be upon him) said “teach your children the love of your Prophet”, in other words teach them the Seerah (the life story of the Prophet).

Last example, was a man I knew, I met him in the masjid, I said Assalamu ‘alaikum and shook his hands, suddenly he started weeping. I got worried and said to myself maybe he lost a family member or someone he loves, he looked at me and said “May Allah give you patience for fare-welling Ramadan”…I said to myself, ‘he is doing all that because Ramadhan is finishing, he is already missing Ramadan...indeed every beloved one has a lover… and Ramadhan is beloved to the righteous.

These were examples of the winners of Ramadan …whom their names will be called on the heaven on the day of Eid. Are you one of them? Or at least will you get a pass if not A+? If not yet then remember you still have time to catch up. Remember it’s never too late, and remember:

[Race one with another in hastening towards Forgiveness from your Lord, and towards Paradise, the width whereof is as the width of heaven and earth, prepared for those who believe in God and His Messengers. That is the Grace of God which He bestows on whom He pleases. And God is the Owner of Great Bounty]

I think i've posted this before, but i thought it would once again serve as a beneficial reminder considering we are in shahr ramadaan. Also, much apologies, unfortunately i do not remember who wrote this or where i got it from smile.gif .

Assalamu Alaikum,

Rahima sis, maybe I can help you out on where you got that from. It sounds very familiar to me too.

It's from a lecture given by Shaikh Ibrahim Duweish by the title "Al Faa'izoon fee Ramadaan (The Winners in Ramadaan).

Masha'Allah, he's one of my favourite Arabic speakers...

May ALLAH(swt) reward you for your effort and may HE(swt) make us of those winners in Ramadaan. Ameen...

Wa Billahi Tawfiq