Sign in to follow this  
Humming bird

What are you reading?

Salaam citizens,

If you dont mind me being nosey..what are you reading currently? Also give us interesting quote or two if you want.

Hope there will be some Somali tiltles too.

Thanks.

Blessed   

Just kidding sis, not having the luxuary of time to read for pleasure at the moment. :(

I've recently read:

1. 'The Butterfly Mosque' by Willow G. Wilson - which gives a great insight to Cairian life from expatriat covert to islam perpective.

2. Diiwaanka Qosolka by Jamaal Hussien - a collection of funny Somali tales. Not finished yet but good so far. It's one of those you'll want to share.

3. Qurux Dumar iyo Damac Rag-- old battered booklet I found in my Aabos collection this summer. Unlike other Somali books it was easy to get into because it's poetically written but it's raw and changed my romantic view of Somalis of the past.

Chimera   

Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Legacy by Eric Van Lustbader, pure awesomness, not to mention since the post-live adaptions of other titles, now in my mind the lead character "David Webb/Jason Bourne" is Matt Damon, so it feels like i'm reading/watching the Fourth Bourne film.

ejcvv8.jpg

When I finished that one, I plan on reading City of Dreams and Nightmare and its sequels by Ian Whates, I love the whole concept behind it:

city-of-dreams-nightmare.jpg

CityOfHope.jpg

They call it the City of a Hundred Rows. The ancient city of Thaiburley is a vast, multi-tiered metropolis, where the poor live in the City Below and demons are said to dwell in the Upper Heights. Having witnessed a murder in a part of the city he should never have been in, Tom, a lowly street-nick, has to run for his life through the City Below, Thaiburley’s unsavoury basement world. Accused of committing the murder himself, he is pursued by sky-borne assassins, Kite Guards, and agents of a darker force intent on destabilising the whole city. His only ally is Kat, a renegade like him, but she proves to have secrets of her own…

Sorry no Somali titles here, none so far have managed to capture my imagination. I'm into Science Fiction, Fantasy, Supernaturalism, Thrillers, and Historic romance, since i'm basically an "escapist". Somali authors have let me down, I wish there were stories involving young Somali men and women going on a Quest, or struggling with Aliens, or dealing with creatures from Somali Mythology, or solving mysteries.

There is however a Historic Romance novel by a Somali Author that i'm going to purchase pretty soon; Ignorance is the enemy of love by Faarax Maxamed Jaamac. :)

Blessed thanks- sounds interesting- particularly that last one..I know about certain somali lit. being intractable and Somalis are far from being efficient writers.

Chimera- Im asuming your a sis, interesting..Not much into such but would probably take interest in scifi written by a Somali person..can we expect some from you in future?

Looks like others dont want encourage my nosiness.

wyre   

*Blessed;686209 wrote:
J

2. Diiwaanka Qosolka by Jamaal Hussien - a collection of funny Somali tales. Not finished yet but good so far. It's one of those you'll want to share.

Laba nin oo aad loogu xanto fuul-xumo ballaadhan ayaa maalin maalmaha ka mid ah isku faanay oo midiba ka kale ku yidhi anigaa kaa qurux badan. Haddaba waxaa dhacaysa in ay labadaa nin go'aan ku gaadheen in ay isula tagaan qof kala saara oo caddeeya kooda quruxda badan. Labadii nin oo deydeyaya cid ixtiraam leh oo ay labadooduba ku kalsoon yihiin oo kala saarta ayaa ku soo baxaya Aw Xasan Sh. Cismaan Nuur oo fadhiya makhaaxi, shaahna ka cabaya magaalada Burco.

Labadii nin baaAw Xasan u sheegaya inay is haystaan oo ay jeclaan lahaayeen inuu kala saaro maadaama uu oday muxtarim ah yahay, magaaladana si fiican looga yaqaanno. Aw Xasan baa markaa wuxuu is yidhi dee malaha arrinka la isku haystaa waa weyn yahaye nimanka kala saar Ilaahay bay tiisa tahaye.

Aw-Xasan ayaa nimankii weydiinaya waxa ay isku haystaan. Ka dib waxay u sheegayaan inay isku haystaan kooda quruxda badan oo ay rabaan bal inuu Aw Xasan halkaasi ka caddeeyo cidda quruxda badan. Aw Xasan baa intuu la yara yaabay ku yidhi nimankii "Waayahaye bal aan idin kala saaree, sii jeesta labadiinuba, haddana soo jeesta", nimankii baa sii jeesanaya, haddana soo jeesanaya isagoo Aw Xasan aad isha u gelinaya sidii qolooyinkii caalamka ee tartanka quruxda kala saari jirey oo kale. Sidii ay uga sugayeen kiinnaasaa qurux badan, ayaa Aw Xasan sidii caadada u ahayd hadal xikmadaysan oo gaaban ku sii daayey nimankii isagoo odhanaya : "Eesh Qiyaasak! Inaad is dhasheen baaba laydin moodaa." :D

wyre   

Aniga waxaan akhrinaayaa imika (HOW TO MAKE PEOPLE LIKE YOU IN 90 Seconds or less)

And i like the book very much.

wyre   

wyre;687207 wrote:
JB did you read mwangi gicheru's accross the bridge:D

Its about a house servant who fell inlove with the daughter of his boss and impregnated her, he run to his village. he will be caught and imprisoned, later will be released, and will join a group of thugs, re-imprisoned. Finally will marry his former boss's daughter.