Sign in to follow this  
AYOUB

Farah rockets up the rankings

AYOUB   

By Tom Knight

(Filed: 24/07/2006)

Mo Farah finally came good on the promise he has shown when his performance at a meeting in Belgium rocketed him to second in the all-time British rankings for the 5,000 metres, though he could only finish sixth.

The Somali-born Farah clocked 13min 9.40sec in the Night of Athletics meeting in Heusden to improve his personal best by over 21sec.

Of all Britain's illustrious distance men, only David Moorcroft has run quicker. Now the chief executive of UK Athletics, Moorcroft clocked a then-world record of 13-00.41 in 1982.

This was a major breakthrough for Farah, a winner of five English Schools titles who, because of the war in Somalia, came to live in this country when he was nine years old. He has represented Britain since he was a junior and, until now, his best performances have come in cross-country.

Farah's time ranks him second in Europe, so, as arguments continue to rage about the poor state of British men's distance running, he can at last be considered among the medal prospects for next month's European Championships in Gothenburg. This, despite his protestations to the contrary.

"I hope nobody starts to hang a European medal round my neck now," Farah said. "I set out last night to get under 13min 20sec and qualify for Gothenburg."

Farah, who spoke no English when he settled in Middlesex, was taken to his local athletics club by his PE teacher. He has developed into a dedicated runner and is among those who have benefited from their time at UK Athletics' High Performance Centre at St Mary's College, Twickenham, where his training partners have included Australia's Craig Mottram and a host of top-class Kenyans.

Farah said his regimen incorporates a "no parties, no drinking, no silly things" lifestyle. He added: "You've got to have a social life and go out with your mates - but the priority is running.

"I'm training twice every day, having massages after each one, doing some core stability exercises, a little bit of weight training and sleeping. That's all. I know I still have a lot to learn." http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/

-----------------------------

_41921332_farah203.jpg

Farah was second in the

European Cup 3000m in June

Farah plays down Gothenburg hopes

Mo Farah is playing down his chances of success at the European Championships after becoming Britain's second-fastest runner over 5,000m on Saturday.

The Londoner, 23, clocked 13 minutes 9.4 seconds in Heusden, Belgium, to sit behind former world record-holder David Moorcroft (13:00.41) in the rankings.

"I hope nobody starts to hang a medal round my neck now," said Farah ahead of next month's showpiece in Sweden.

"What happens in Gothenburg just depends on the day."

Farah has closed the gap on Ireland's Alister Cragg in this year's European rankings, making him an obvious contender for a podium place in Sweden.

But he added: "I may be up there with those guys now, but a lot of them have much more experience than me."

Farah lives in Teddington on the outskirts of London with a group of Kenyan athletes, including Heusden winner Micah Kogo.

And the Somalia-born athlete believes his regimented lifestyle is helping him produce the sort of times that are making his rivals sit up and take notice.

"I'm training twice every day, having massages after each one, doing some core stability exercises, a little bit of weight training - and sleeping. That's all," he said.

"Staying injury-free is important. But I know I still have a lot to learn and a long way to go, especially in world terms." bbc

Well done to Mohammed, he has really come good and i hope all you Somali Swedes will go and show your support to him Euro Champs where he has a good chance of Gold.

AYOUB   

^^Farah is running in the London Grand Prix, Crystal Palace tonight 28 July BBC2 6pm (and eurosport?)

N.O.R.F   

"Mo Farah ran the second fastest time by a Briton over 5,000m last week to vastly improve his European ranking and he followed that up with a good 1500m in London". - Steve Cram

Paragon   

^^ That is a big achievement in itself. The last time I saw him in his college he was so adamant to make it this time around. I am so glad he did move up the rank, I guess he did something about the bariis iyo suqaar the maqaaxida in hounslow :D . I watched him being interviewed right after the run. I wasn't lucky enough to see him run. I hope his other Somali college in my neck of the wood (east london) would breakthrough too. They are very promising indeed.

N.O.R.F   

Congratulation to Mo, he got Silver at the European Championships in Gottenberg, Sweden!

_41428965_espana_getty.jpg

Britain's 23-year-old Mo Farah ran the best race of his life to win silver behind Spain's Jesus Espana, with Juan Carlos Higuero third.

Farah went to the front with 800m to go and burned off all but Espana, who battled past him on the home straight.

Farah said: "I wanted to win and it was close. I gave it all I could and saw a gap.

"I tried but it wasn't enough. I've worked hard and it is paying off slowly - hopefully we'll be back at the top like Brendan Foster and Steve Cram."

Well done son! :cool:

Originally posted by Northerner:

But what diff does it make?

It makes a world of difference. And you know that, don't put on the charade it doesn't.