Sign in to follow this  
Nur

Career Planning

Entrepeneur, I get enough exercise discussing micro/macroecnomic theory in class, so pardon me if I opt not to engage in such banter.

Let's not split hairs about interest/riba. Islamic banks charge fees to accrue profit, but it doesn't make them equal to western banking institutions that make their billions in annual profit from interest and services alone---take the mortgage loan business for example: a bank will bunch about a hundred mortgages and sell their clients' debt and interest payments to an independent firm in return for a lump sum. So basically, the outside firm buys for the long-term profit from your interes-payments. Does this seem morally sound to you?

Political science did originally branch off from economics, and employs some ideas from economic theory, but on the whole it's morphed into its discipline. So by studying internatioal relations or comparative politics, exactly how would I still be involved with interest rates?

Coloow   

jeziira,

Entrepeneur, I get enough exercise discussing micro/macroecnomic theory in class, so pardon me if I opt not to engage in such banter

Akhi, banter? that was not my aim.. I was merely illustrating:

1: Islamic banking is an illusion given the prevailing conditions.

2: Economics and western sciences (including pol.science)are built along premises that are far from islamic ideals!

Well damn,

Entrepeneur it seems that, not only can you not take a joke, but you're jumping into details that I never intended to discuss. And even more, you've made such grossly unsubstantiated statements that I would be foolish to respond, considering you side-stepped my initial reply, and is essentially demanding a defense of my program of studies. :rolleyes:

Let's not draw our swords, shall we, and return to the bigger theme.

Coloow   

jazeera, bro/sister

but you're jumping into details that I never intended to discuss. And even more, you've made such grossly unsubstantiated statements that I would be foolish to respond, considering you side-stepped my initial reply, and is essentially demanding a defense of my program of studies

grossly? Unsubstanstiated? side-stepped?

I don't really know how to respond to these accusations saaxib!

Akhi, I wonder who is coming with unsubstantiated statement?

I assume there is an appology in the making but I am not quite sure from who!

Anyway ciid mubarak

NinBrown   

Salaama calaykum

Waryaaya..waa ciid dee, so chill out...both of you ENT and JAZ kiss and make up..you both sound reasonable men.

After that..with this cereers stuff...women trying to work in the west is very bad. Walahi iam not a what do you call it? ani-women but i see my work place and i wouldnt like my wife or sis or any women i cared about to work there. Nur this includes OBY & GYN and PEADs departemnts in which i have worked in. The reasons iclude

1)Lack of respect for women

2)The banta and the sexual enuendos that fly around

ppl talk about 3 things and only 3 things at work and i challenge anyone to disagree

1)TV

2)Beer/Alcohol

3)Sex

So anyone female considering a cereer in the West..may allah help you..but be carful.

Sophist Salaamas..hows Cambridge..cold

Muhammad   

Asalamu Alaykum nomads and Eid Mubarak.

bro Nur - akhi what do think of the Media. What are some of the guidelines to create a pure Islamic Media organization.

and what about the entertainment side. I see Animation movies, some based on true stories, and others not based on true stories. what is the rulling of making a movie that is Islamicly acceptable.

I have heard some people say - the stories must be true, muslims can't play Kafir roles, no one can play the sahabah or the great scholars. ect..

It is a question that has been on my mind for long time. The kufar are succeeding in promoting their values and cultures thru hollywood or bollywood, "Is it possible to create an Islamic Media to counter these?"

Macasalaamah. peace.

Nur   

Eid Mubaarak Nomads

Some great discussions.

Nino Brown.

An Islamic principle says " Al daruuraat tubiixul maxduuraat" necessities make haraam things, a halaal"

The job of a muslimah gynocologist is a MUST, if all Muslim women shun the profession, then they'd be forced to have male gynocologists, a worse situation then tolerating LAGHW , nonesense talk about sex, alcohol and TV, you don't have to work in a hospital to over hear these nonsense, it is everywhere.

Conquest.

You have raised a very important topic, extremely critical, Islamic Education and the Media.

At Nurtel, the one man Corporation dedicated for Internet DAWA, we are just doing that, and from our labs, new radical cutting edge Dawa ideas are rolling out, so come on aboard, your thoughts are higly appreciated.

The battle of the minds and hearts has been ongoing fro decades, the result is sad, all you have to do is read some of the posts on this " Islamic" site.

What we need are radical thoughts for reaching and teaching, while making sure to abide by the sunnah guidelines while doing so, because the message in Islam, and the Means must be closely interwoven like a web.

Allah SWT says about the MEANS of DAWA:

" Qul haadihi sabiilii, adcuu ilal laahi, calaa basiiratin, anaa wa man ittabacanii, wa subxaanallahi wa maa anaa minal mushrikiin"

Say : This is indeed my way, I call (mankind) and myself to ( serve ) Allah SWT, with Baseerah ( KNOWLEDGE FROM ALLAH), (to guide) me and those who follow me, ( to bear witness that) I am not one of those who make Allah a share holder with his creatures over his Dominion and Honor.

From the above verse, we learn that :

1. The Way = The Sunnah Tawheed Expressway

2. Baseerah, Deep understanding of FIQH empowered by piety, prayers, Dhiker and kindness to others.

3. Making towheed the OBJECTIVE around which the DAWA work is centered, NO SHIRK is tolereated.

Nur

2003 Nurtel Media Group

Real Solutions From An Imaginery Company

Entrepeneur,

let me put you out of your misery--alas, I am female *lol*.

Again, I think we're getting a bit off topic, and continuing this string of retorts undermines the spirit of this topic.

I don't believe an apology is called for between you and I--but what is probably appropriate is to apologize to Nur, the initiator of this discussion, for hijacking his forum. And for that, I am sorry.

Coloow   

Nuurow, soo noqod wanaagsan akhi, cid mubarak to you and all the other somalis on this forum!

Jeziira, ukhti casiisa (For a weird reason I thought of Jezeera near Gendershe and assumed it was a male name).

I don't think I have any reason to appologise to Nuur for, because WE did not hijack the topic as you purport!

This was a topic about career planning and I was simply replying to you in regards to that.

Were we not discussing career planing?

In addition, my reply was prompted by a common belief among somalis that basic economic theory is alien to the principles of our faith.

Inadeerey, whether we call it economics, behaviourial science, sociology, pol science etc what we are studying is a western perspective of a complex world.

Anyway, in the good old days people used to give XAAL, even in the event of innocense (marka maadama aad tahay ina adeertey xaal qaado- oo sabeen iyo wankeeda ayaan kugu xeray).

Who is Gibran? was he an islamic economist?

Ciid mubaraak,

p.s consider political economics as a major.

Khayr   

An Islamic principle says " Al daruuraat tubiixul maxduuraat" necessities make haraam things, a halaal"

Please explain this Principle

as it can be easily abused.

I can see someone saying that

b/c I needed a job, I had to take off the hijab

cause I need to support my children or

for a man, I had to shave my beard to get hired (seen this with my own eyes before) etc.

What Ulama have stated this principle?

I think that this is an important Principle

that is to be discussed.

Fi Amanallah

Nur   

Jazeerah

Eid Mubaaarak walaal, I enjoyed the discussion between u and Entreprenuer, very valuable exchange of thoughts, so keep up the spirit.

Kheyr

Yes walaal, any good principle can be used 4 the wrong reasons (KALIMUTU XAQIN URAADA BIHAAL BAATIL). InshaAllah I will clarify the conditions that make up " DARUURAH" or " IKRAAH", compulsion in Islam, conditions that render some laws ineffective.

Nur

Nur   

Jazeerah

you write:

" Entrepeneur,

let me put you out of your misery--alas, I am female *lol*."

MaashaAllah, the best man for the job is a woman.

Nur

Nur   

Dear Nomads

Its about time you considered the right job to match your Islamic lifestyle, happiness is doing what you like for a living, not by living stressfully with a job just to earn money, so let us revive the page and share our thoughts, please lets stay focused on the topic only.

Nur

^^^Assalamu Alaikum wr/wb smile.gif

I knew that I wanted to work in the health field ever since I was young girl. Have always been interested in it.

Nursing and Medicine were my two choices:

Doctor (Family Physician/OBS&GYN): Hard, long years of study, too much responsibilty. Dont think I have the patience or brains :(

Nurse : Too demanding, long hours, hectic shedule, stressful..

I talked to my doctor..got some advice. She herself was a nurse for a couple of years until she decided to try medical school and she was very well at it. Now shes a family physican.

Im planing to go into Nursing, Inshallah, probably in pediatrics (children) or obstetrics (women). Then if I like it and think I can have a chance at medical school, will try it. And if I dont make it...I have my Nursing to fall back on. smile.gif

Going into those two careers, I dont think I have to worry about my job and Islam coming into conflict. I think.

Thats my tentative plan/goal...things could change however. Its all in Allah's hands. I might very well be Somalia's First Woman President!

Inshallah everything will turn out well.

Rahima   

Asalaamu calaykum wr wb,

Like my sister Femme, career aspirations are proving to be a bit of a dilemma for me.

I finished high school with the intention of pursing medicine through graduate medical school. Originally as a fresh seventeen year old I was made to believe that medical school was just six years, meaning that I would be done by 25 at the latest and could still pursue life’s other pleasures, namely having children. Two years into my medical science degree, I become somewhat wiser and through questioning realized that medicine was not such as easy as six years, and hence dropped this aspiration because the way I saw it was either choose medicine and delay having children (not to mention thinking of the possible problems which arise as an older mother), or choose a career path which would still enable me to contribute to the ummah and still have a family. I chose the latter for as I saw it, brining up righteous children was another way of assisting the ummah.

All was good and I was contempt with my decision until advice from all corners was screaming that I would be doing myself and the ummah injustice by settling, not to mention family pressures. Now I am in a state of limbo, I am in the process of applying for the graduate medical exam. Personally it’s not the commitment which worries me but rather that in the event that I do get married, the responsibilities of juggling the hectic schedule of medical school and raising children might become too much. At the moment, if all goes well, I have made the decision of marrying a decent brother in the coming year (it would be unfair of me to expect him to hang around till I decide I am done with school), therefore the issue of the permissibility of contraception comes into question. Reading various fatwas has meant that I know (and hence cannot claim ignorance) it is not permissible in most circumstances-im not sure whether or not I would fall into the daruura category. I am not against having one or two children, but the problem is having one after another whilst trying to complete medical school.

Bottom line is brother Nur, me is confused to say the least smile.gif . Is contraception permissible in such a circumstance? Please explain with daleel if possible.

Jazaakum Allahu Khayr smile.gif .