Sign in to follow this  
Nur

Career Planning

Coloow   

Nuurow, allow me to be philosophical here.

Ok, common sense agreements- we take the traffic lights for instance. they were made to facilitate for the free flow of traffic and people, to contribute to safety.

If someone opts to cross the road when the red light is on, or when a car violates and in the process a bodily harm is caused, Surely saaxib, we need courts that try, lawyers that know the islamic juripundence !

Within the framework of sharica, we need xakims right?

Nur   

I Entreprenuer Br

I coudn't put it better, fully agree with you, we need XIKMAH, it is because of the lack of Xikmah that all the mess we see is taking place.

Nur

Baashi   

Nur,

Jazaka'Allah bro. Here is a situation: Qorran ina Shabeel-lagde is married to ina Mas-ku-cadeyde. Her husband makes a bundle in his current position; good enough to cover all family expenses. However, Qorran ina Shabeel-lagde went school and has recently graduated with nursing degree in which she intended to make use of it. In her first job though, the white gown she supposed to wear presented a dilemma. The gown had a short sleeves, you see, and Qorran couldn’t compromise her Islamic dress code. She walked away from that job. She immediately found another one - with appropriate gown type. The two doctors she was assigned to work with were female doctors.

Everything seemed to work very fine and all of the sudden she sensed something has gone wrong. Her husband, she later found out, had been upset about the whole thing. In part, she works more than 50 hours a week and sometimes she is on call. Her work is very demanding and time consuming. She is very loyal to her husband. She is a religious women. Her husband is reluctant to ask her to quit for she is the sole working member of very poor displaced family in Kenya. His paycheck is only good enough to their household. The long hours of work (sometimes nights) has been eroding couple’s relationship. Her family’s predicament has an adverse impact to the stability of her family and to some extent to her religious obligation. Breakup is imminent if things continue the way they are now.

Bal ka tali Nuuroow xaalka ceynkaas ah.

Nur   

Baashi Bro.

It is a sad situation indeed, Before presenting my ideas, I need to know motre about the character of the husband.

A. Is he an injured lion? a man who was a bread winner tamed by bad times?

B. A Mirungi Chewer, who is just chillin widda arm chair generals " fadh Ku Dirir"

If he is type A, the sister is doing a noble work, may Allah blsee her.

If he is typoe B, there are two more scenarios.

1. She has kids

2. No Kids

First case, she needs to work harder to rehabilitate her husband, pray a lot to Allah SWT, and involove responsible people in the community to help the man become a responsible man. If all fails, she should seriously consider a way out.

Second Case. End the marriage, by any means necessary.

Nur

Coloow   

Lol @fadhi ku dirir!

Second Case. End the marriage, by any means necessary

Hayaay, drastic tallo saaxib! I was expecting afar faataxa u mar, ilaahey u baryi, give him a second chance etc...

I thought divorce is the last resort after every other effort including dialogue are exhausted!

Khayr   

Salaamz,

Masha Allah, it is really nice to see

nomads engaging in dialogues in the Islam Forum.

I think that there's been around 1000+ posts

since or around the beginning of Ramadan.

Baashi   

Khatif! qoryahaaga gurro Nur. You missed the point bro. Perhaps I was not clear enough. More info on the way:

1. The husband is a nice fella by all accounts. He is neither an injured lion nor a qaat-chewer nor fadhi ku dirir. He is as decent as you can get. He makes more money than she does but not enough to satisfy both their needs as a family and the needs of his in-laws. No kids.

2. They don’t get enough time for themselves - they rarely see each other. Conflict of schedule is the culprit here.

The purpose of this couple’s marriage is being compromised by a third side. Income constraints and parent obligation is what compels the wife to pursue a very demanding, time-consuming career. What pains the wife so much, as practicing muslimah, is that she realized the obligation toward her husband outweighs than that of her parents. What troubles the husband, as a reasonable person, is the fact that there are 18 in-laws in very difficult circumstances whose daily life are very much dependant on him and his beloved wife. He cannot forsake his conscience and yet he cannot ignore the fact that his home has become a crisis management center where phone pleas from Kenya are nightly occurrences. Understanding and sabir is what kept him going. Qorran has been torn apart by anguish over the prospect of losing a sweet darling husband and her beloved family who are in need of her meager income.

I brought up this to exemplify the challenges (in monumental proportions mind u) that Somalis face in Qurbo-land. The minimalist approach and reductionism attitude that tend to pass premature judgment on others - nomads whose circumstance we know very little - is blurring the issues. I have met many brothers with marital problems, mainly economic.

Please comment on this, if u may, the juggling act some are forced to perform: career, marital duties, parent obligations (for some), and life in unfriendly non-Islamic society. Your balanced wisdom on this is much appreciated sage Nur. I hope you see the relevance of planning career in this not so cheerful scenario.

Sophist   

Salamu Alaikum Waraxma,

With great sympathy I have read your post my fellow Baashi. The problems that BEING good nurtured people and dependable brings are so vast and you have indeed illustrated with damming example which is frightfully recognisable. As it happens, I had a friend who was in similar situation.

This chap is great man with beautiful Islamic character even wears the specially tailored trousers smile.gif . The guy was educated in one of those new Universities in London and after graduation could not get a job in the industry (he did E-Commerce, he graduated ill-faattedly when the slump of the IT took off). So as honourable man, he started looking for alternative job because there waited mouths to feed here in Britain and back home in Somalia.

After a while he felt the pressure in his house hold. Money, as he use to say was the oil that smoothed the human relationship, and luck of it, things were not as smooth as they use to be. His wife is great person, educated read English Degree (contarary to the popularbelieve English is indeed hard and prestigious Degree in Britain), she had you know all those dreams we all have when we are undergraduates-good salary, beautiful home and equally satisfying partner. But reality was quite different to that greeny picture she painted for herself. The continious phone calls from Somalia, the kids needing all the things they need (no idea what they require since I am a lonesome bachelor smile.gif ); the marriage has become quite difficult to bear. The love was there, but the worldly difficulties were taking thier toll. She could not get a job because she had to look after the kids. He had a job that just paid cheaply the bills. Menial job that he never thought about before doing. After a while negativity ensued. My friend become quite depressed.

But as he was a sagacious man, he thought about the alternative way of living handsomely without the difficulty that marriage had introduced to his life. After a long contemplation and hard pondering he came to the conclusion it was only viable to move from this country to Somalia and make life there.

He consulted with his wife, she reluctantly agreed with it. They moved to Hargeisa where he set up A construction business and now wherehe employs more than sixty 60 people and makes nearly half a Million Dollars a year, lives a Villa with all the modern gadgets installed and worships Allah-- performs his Salaat in Jamaaca every day; beautiful life.

So, there you have it, as Allah said, "Man yataqilaha yajcal lahu Maqraja, wa yursuqhu min xeythu laa yaxtasib".

I am telling you brother, it is difficult to live in Britain with less than £30.000 per annum income. Life is tough in the West. I think because we are not suppose to live in this sort of environment-the whole of working market is geared to unsavoury things.

But ther is always an Alternative, though it may not be clear at the present time.

Salaams to you all.

Sophist

Saalixa   

assalamu alaikum,

Sophist, that was a beautiful story,,,i have to say a life in somalia is much better than a life in the west. raaxo bay kunool yihiin,,,and these women i visted in hargaisa on my visit i was so jealous, man they have like maids and they work part time,,the rest of the day they come home to their kids and while they are working the maid looks after the house, kids, cooks, does it all. and those women want to live in a western country?can you believe that? well if they could take my position yeah i wouldn't mind,than living like crazy and doing everything on your own.

well coming back to nurs question,,,i have pharmacy on my mind,,,love it and i met other sistahs who have graduated and have families now. They recommend it,,,they say it is really good for women esp for the muslim sistah,,,and this malaysian sis told me that she gets paid to do practically nothing most of the time,,,habar yar baa ku imanyso and perscription ayaad u qooraysa and instruct when to use it etc. And of-course their are no contacts with the oppisite sex,,,esp if you open up your own chemist, employ female only, great huh?,,,that is really a dream of mine,,,well thats my long term plan,,, my short term plan-:to pass my end of year semester II exams calculus! oh taas na way ee sugaysaa :( just remembering it gives me the creeps. :( SHIVERS,,,lol :D

salamz.

Sophist   

Hi there Rayaana, glad you have liked what you so in Somalia.

On the matter of employing only females, I hate to sound like a lawyer, but that is illegal under domisticated European law in Britain-- the European Court of Human Rights deems this to be discrimination under the human rights convention. So there you have it.

Nur   

Salaams Nomads

So many inetersting posts while I was away, so many good posts, unfortumately, so little time to read'em all.

Baashi Bro.

Glad for the clarification, now your story and that of Sophist need a creative post of its own, how to juggle all these requirements in times of distress.

These days, I also have proble with my relatives in the west answering my phone when I am on the road away from you know where.Just by looking on the ID , they reason that my call is an incoming distress call looking for qaaraan, so I have to place many calls before someone takes the chance and sighs with relief that it is me, nur, and I am sending you money, instead of asking you to send a relative money.

It is didfficult to ballance, but as Mulsims, we are missing out on the best opportunity in our life:

ENJOYING TO HELP OUR RELATIVES IN DISTRESS.

Wallahi bro, I enjoy, and the more i do, the better peieces in my life fall in thir respects places.

Bashi, allow me to post my answer later in a way that can show new dimensions to this problem, problems that you have mentioned are diamonds in the rough, it takes some rock solid values to polish these rough diamonds ( problems) so that we emerge as winners.

Nur

Saalixa   

Sophist,

Sorry, ahm i mean sorry lawyer sophist i am sorry for intruding or breaking the law but what iam trying to implement is all good, its all good,,,

You must admit the much discrimination WE AS MUSLIM FEMALES experience,,, and oh isn't that discrimatory,,,esp the muslim sistahs living in the west. All my elder sistahs i respect most have trouble finding a job because they wear the hijaab,,hence don't look civilised or intellignet. They want to see a bit of some flesh you see, and we are unemployed for years until we choose to go to one of the emirate countries, and which iam not willing and rather would go home to beautiful hargaisa for work. but for the matter being,,, in the west we are not regarded equal and the only way to help my sisters in need is to open a little business of my own and employ just females. Now no more objection lawyer thats purely legal.

Salaam alaikum everyone,

I'm in the process of acquiring a bachelor's degree in Economics & Political Science, inshallah. As of late though, I've been leaning towards continuing the Political Science portion of my degree, since an Economics degree pretty much leads you into the banking, financing, etc. industries--which obviously means dealing with riba/interest.

Anyways, I've found hope in Islamic Banking. It's really a frontier industry in the west, and Western banking institutions have been gradually associating themselves with Islamic banking firms.

What I do find a bit confusing though, is that a fair share of the North American branches of Islamic banks have an entirely non-Muslim board of executives, or Muslims are definitely a minority. I don't know, but this seems a bit conflicting to me :confused:

Coloow   

Jezira

since an Economics degree pretty much leads you into the banking, financing, etc. industries--which obviously means dealing with riba/interest.

I don't think that is the case saaxib. Strictly, in terms of microeconomics, IR is defined as cost of acquiring capital . In other words the profit margin that you make by engaging in a business venture.

The term RIba is usery.

Political science (western PS) is based on the idea of economic theories- and I don't think you would be immune from IR (macroeconomic).

Saaxib, many students of economics don't work in industries that trade in Usery or IR.

If you are afraid that studying economics would lead you to work in IR, then saaxib, you could consider business economics (microeconomics)!

I don't think there is much difference in what is called islamic banking and western banking in terms of what they charge.

recently, on a visit to Toronto, I was introduced to some somalis and foreigners who have devised a method to lend money for home owners. I was surprised to learn that they do take a fee instead of IR.

Paradoxically, they charged 17% rate (they called it expenses) on a loan of 70 000 canadian dollars while their counterparts, western banks charged 7%.

There are indeed organisations and bank that claim to depart from islamic systems but if you pay a shrewed eye, you would find, they use the name as a marketing tool.

CIID MUBARAK!