Sign in to follow this  
xiinfaniin

The Power of Intent

ASC to you all;

Intent is the mother of all deeds. It is one of three criterie that Allah uses to accept or reject acts of worship. Before I talk about the significance of intent in the life of Muslims, let me briefly mention as a passing reference to the other two decisive factors. The first is faith (Iman) in Allah, without it all deeds will be in vain. The second is adherence and conformity to the divine word of Allah and the sound tradition of his Messenger (no act of worship will be admissible without strict compliance with the Sunnah).

It is the fairness of Allah, dear nomads, that He judges our work not just how we do it but also by our hidden intent. In the world of absolute justice the sheer appearance of things does not suffice. Allah has no interest in your physical appearance nor does He has any regard to your noble lineage, informs the final messenger of Allah, but He indeed looks in to what is in your hearts (your intents) and judges based on it. When asked about the criterion for the ultimate sacrifice any Muslim can possibly make (dying in Jihad), the Prophet of Allah answered as expected that the great differentiator would not be the bravery and the performance of the fighter rather it would be the aim and the intent of his urge. Even in an era when migrating to Medina and joining the prophet was quite a religious status the Messenger of Allah insisted only those who truly meant it will gain it. In other words though some may get and enjoy that status in this world simply because they traveled the long distance and left their loved ones, in the Day of Judgment what gets put on the divine scale would not be the miles cut and the agonies endured but the aim and intent that motivated them would be.

It is the power of intent that could turn what naturally seems worldly activity to an act of worship. If I start the list of things that could be rewarded provided there is a good intent in them, I am sure I will run out of both space and ink. That is because every thing you do that does not contradict the teaching of this religion can be considered cibaadah as long you have the intent to please Allah. But let me shock you with few lists that some of you might’ve never thought of as an act of worship:

Making love with your spouse is Cibaadah. The reason, the prophet of Allah explained, is because had one done it without the proper sanction it would’ve been counted against him and he would’ve been punished for it. But it requires the intent to recognize and appreciate that sanction. From that you can deduce that it would also be true that when you are in the hunt to find a good spouse it becomes an act of worship. You ask the reason and the logic of the prophet provides.

It is also the power of intent that you could easily be rewarded from the efforts that you put in raising your children to better their lives in both worlds. This again requires having intent for it.

To a lesser extent, let me take that and apply it to the forums of SOL. By now I won’t surprise you if I tell you the owner of this site could gain great rewards if he has the intent and the clear purpose to make this place a platform of khery. The nomads will as well gain great reward if they conduct themselves with prudence and show some respect to each other. Even if you try to do that with good intent but didn’t achieve it, you’re rewarded. The care and concern of Allah to his servants is so amazing. Think about this. If you have a good intent but couldn’t achieve it you will be rewarded. But if you have bad intent but couldn’t succeed in achieving it you won’t be punished for the failure of not committing that sin (I may need brother Nur’s correction here).

Walaalayaal hadalka waa badiyey, laakiin let us all try to turn our daily activities in to acts of worship by having good intent and sincere aim.

Nur   

Xiinfaniin Supersonic bro.

You write:

you have a good intent but couldn’t achieve it you will be rewarded. But if you have bad intent but couldn’t succeed in achieving it you won’t be punished the failure of committing that sin

It was reported that the Prophet SAW said ( Cant remember exact Sanad) that in the day of judgement a Believr will see mountain loads of good deeds on his scale, he will say O Allah what are these deeds, I cant remember them, he will be told that these deeds were deeds you intended to do but were unable due to inability.

Bad deeds that we intend though are not recorded against us as a mercy from Allah, untill we commit.

More to say later inshAllah

Nur

Thanks to bro Nur and Baashi.

It was reported that a companion of the prophet brought charity to the mosque so the deserving poor would take it. But his son who stalked him to the mosque got hold of it and took the sadaqa. When the father found out what his son had done he came and complained to the prophet. And the prophet of Allah told him; you got what you aimed and intended. And you own what you took, the prophet told to the son.

This is another case of the power of intent and the underlying lesson is: good intent does never get lost.