Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

Edna Adan talks Ethiopia says NO to Somaliland

Here is the article of Somalilands foreign minister.

edna.jpg

Minister: Somaliland will not rejoin Somalia

Edna Adan Ismail -Somaliland's foreign minister

ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia (Reuters ) -- Somaliland's foreign minister said on Wednesday that the breakaway region would not consider rejoining Somalia, because of the fractious warlords plaguing the Horn of Africa nation.

"Can anybody in his right mind join a country fragmented as a result of warlordism and fundamentalism?," Edna Adan Ismail told Reuters in Addis Ababa.

"The warlords in southern Somalia are interested in protecting their own interests, by supporting terrorism and have not got the interest of the Somali people at heart"

Somaliland declared its independence in 1991 and is a relatively stable enclave which held its first multi-party election earlier this year. It is not recognised internationally.

Related

Somaliland leads charge for African women

The rest of Somalia has been devastated by warlords and their militias. A government in Mogadishu has no control over most of the country. The lack of central control has earned the country a reputation as a potential haven for terrorists.

Peace talks are in progress in Kenya but are mired in wrangling between the various factions. Somaliland is not attending.

The minister was in Ethiopia as part of a delegation led by Somaliland president Dahir Rayale Kahin to discuss bilateral relations with Ethiopian Prime Minister Meles Zenawi.

Issues to be discussed include the Berbera Corridor, which Ethiopia wants to use for its import and export trade, commercial and economic development between the two countries and strenghtening border security and customs, she said.

Source: Reuters, Aug. 07, 2003

20032202.JPG

ETHIOPIA: Minister says Somalia should be united, denies interference

© IRIN

Bereket Simon

ADDIS ABABA, 8 Aug 2003 (IRIN) - Ethiopia has rejected calls by the breakaway republic of Somaliland for international recognition by insisting that the region’s future lies within a united Somalia.

Information Minister Bereket Simon told IRIN that while Somalis will decide their own future, Ethiopia’s interests lie in unifying the war-ravaged state.

His comments came as Dahir Riyale Kahin, president of the self-declared republic of Somaliland, held talks in Addis Ababa with Prime Minister Meles Zenawi and key Ethiopian officials.

The talks, according to Bereket, focused on two areas – latest developments in Somaliland and security issues surrounding the common border with Ethiopia. Members of the Somaliland delegation have not made any public announcements.

Bereket also dismissed claims that the five-day visit by the Somaliland delegation, which also includes the foreign minister Edna Adan Ismail, undermined the Somali peace talks currently underway in Kenya. The Somaliland authorities have refused to attend the conference, saying it has nothing to do with them.

Bereket said he remained optimistic about the Nairobi-based talks, as long as the rival factions stayed at the negotiating table.

"We think they will find a possible way out of the current situation through dialogue and continuous engagement – that is the only way out,” he said.

“We don’t see walk-outs from such meetings as solutions, nor resorting to armed intimidation,” he added. The president of Somalia's Transitional National Government (TNG) Abdiqassim Salad Hassan walked out of the talks last week saying they were heading towards the "dismemberment" of Somalia.

Bereket also dismissed claims that Ethiopia was “meddling” in the talks. “Ethiopia cannot serve as the scapegoat for the failures that he [Abdiqassim] has executed in that meeting.”

“If you are asking me about the wishes of Ethiopia, it is that we would like to see a united Somalia living peacefully, being led by a responsible state,” Bereket stated.

“That is our wish and we will try to the best of our capacity to assist our Somali brothers to achieve this objective – but that remains their task and depends on how they act."

“Whether this dream can come true or not is the work of the Somali brothers and sisters," he added.

"The best way forward is continuing the dialogue and reaching agreement based on the accommodation of the interests of different sectors of Somali people.”

12 years and you cant even confince ETHIOPIA, talk ADNA TALK WAY

Lefty   

The stupidiest & lowest idea is calling other Somalis terrorist and still end up with empty hands.

How low can anyone go ?

BN   

They run to Ethiopia whenever they call but still receive nothing in return. And on top of that they call us fundamentalist terrorists!!!! :eek:

I guess they will say/do anything to get recognized....

nuune   

lol@lefty,i can't believe in lagu soo gacan seeray, i thought she would get at least something from Ethiopia,but it was none to ebar

Observer   

If and when you trust AMXARO that is the final conclusion or outcome you should expect. It is one lesson that should be learnt by other warlords in somalia too. These people (xabshi) are the worst people on this planet. They are shameful to send Edo Edna gacan madan!!! :mad:

AYOUB   

People let me ask you one question before I call it a day, what did you expect Edna to come back with since you all think she's comming back empty handed?

As for the comments on 'fundamentalisms', I think it is wrong thing to say considering the current atmosphere.

Ibtilo   

Finally I have decided to register for this site. All I seem to see is people who dont live in Somaliland talking constent bull.

I wonder why you dont talk about why certain people are walking out of the talks in kenya, you know things that actually pertain to you.

I think Somaliland is a model for other Somalis, because no matter who has told them what they have gone thier own way. While the Warlords are being hearded in some other country to try and solve their problems.

Its easy to talk, but its another thing to be able to do.

What I find interesting is that Somalilanders really dont care what is going on in Somalia they go about their business, why in Somalia it seems that their is no other issue for conversation.

Somalilanders keep doing what your doing, you are what a Somali is, hard working men and women who dont give a you know about what haters have to say.

Walawayne get a life, better yet get a hobby other than Somaliland.

Ibtilo   

P.S. Big up to Edna Aden she has opened up the first Maternaty Hospital, and we have a young Somalilander as the first Somali doctor in Toronto.

I am starting my first year in pre-med, and its nice to know that I have such strong Somaliland women to look up to.

Luv you much Edna and good luck to the girl in Toronto.

Never mind the haters, do your business Somalilanders.

Bachelor   

Can anybody in his right mind join a country fragmented as a result of warlordism and
fundamentalism
?," Edna Adan Ismail told Reuters in Addis Ababa.

There we go again!!! Xabashi huuraleey baa la raali galinayaa. Isnt it enough the countless innocent and ALLAH fearing people from Somali Galbeed in the name of "fundamentalist" that had been handed over to Ethiopia? To be executed and humiliated infront of thier family. What is more degrading then that? to hand over your people, who came for "magan galis"? :mad:

it is official now, every somali admins is ethopia's *****. Menelik can finally look down, and say ethopia's

CHE you nailed it!! What makes me so sad is, how we as a Muslim/Somali should be proud of ourselves yet inferior of amxaro. SAD BUT TRUE. All warlord go extra mile to please them.

Anyways to all those warlords Niiman Dhurwa aqoon baa hilib ku rarta Keep pleasing them. :D

Fii ama'illah

Ibtilo   

Can anyone say Paranoia.

Ethiopia this, Somaliland that.

How about we try Salad Hassan this, Yalaxow that.

Better yet how about getting good viable people into the meetings someone you know that hasnt terrorized the people.

Like I said find a hobby.

Ethiopia isnt tha problem, Somaliland isnt the problem.

The problem is lazy people in the diaspora who talk bull on the net. and let Warlords run the show.