Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Southern Somalis caught between the hammer of Al-Shabab and the vise of Sheikh Sharif

The news of a single day is enough to shed light on the incredible suffering that is going in southern Somalia. On Thursday, March 25th, the news from Mogadishu was that Sheikh Sharif’s militia destroyed five hundred shacks and the families who lived in those shacks were left homeless.

The reason that Sheikh Sharif’s militia gave for dismantling those ramshackle dwellings was that they were built illegally between Avizione and the airport, and that they also posed a security threat for the government and the African troops (AMISOM). Sheikh Sharif’s “government” did not prepare any alternative housing for the people that they dislocated; they just destroyed their barely livable homes and left them to fend for themselves. Many of the people whose homes were destroyed were people who had lived in other areas of town and who had fled the armed conflict in their original neighborhoods and set up these shacks as a refuge from the fighting.

Asha Haji Muhammad, one of those rendered homeless by Sheikh Sharif’s militia gave a searing account of their plight when she told the Voice of America’s Somali Service (March 25, 2010): “I have 12 kids, their father has no job, I came from Suqa Xoolaha to Fagax, from Fagax I fled to Jubbo, I ran from Jubbo to Avizione.

Sharif himself told us to leave areas where there is fighting. Now he is telling us, you got close to me, get away from me. He himself told us to leave. Both sides [sharif and the extremists] reached a deal to wipe out the people, we want the international community to help us.”

What was the international community’s response to Asha Haji Muhammad’s plea? It responded by delivering a consignment of weapons and other military assistance to Sheikh Sharif’s militia on that same day.

Sheikh Sharif’s militia is not the only ones who are tormenting the civilian population of the south. The Islamic extremists al-Shabaab are doing their part too. The same day when Sheikh Sharif’s militia were forcing civilians from their homes, al-Shabaab continued to dig the graves of well-known and respected Somali Sheiks, pulled out what remained of their bones and skulls, then destroyed the graves. The reason al-Shabaab gave for their barbaric and un-Islamic actions was that by destroying the graves they were stopping the people from worshipping those sheikhs.

Those are not all the heartbreaking events that took place on that single day, but they are enough to give a picture of what is going on in south Somalia in general and Mogadishu in particular, where the people are caught between the hammer of al-Shabaab and the vise of Sheikh Sharif. The popular website Dayniile.com said it best: ‘the government is making people who are alive become refugees, while the opposition is making the dead become refugees’ (Dawladda oo dadkii noolaa qixinaysa halka mucaaridkuna reer aakhiraadkii ay qixid ku bilaabeen).

galia   

Keep hating Loser.

Besides the tribal warlord in Somaliland you should concern yourself with, who happens to be a mass murderer

siilaanyo2.jpg

Mario B   

Is Jacalbaro recycling old news? This hater must hate the progress being made in the south. I think it's time Agent Godane was called home.

galia   

Jacalbaro and others like him have always hated us (Somalia) but these days they are a bit afraid to show it unlike six months back.

What has president Sheikh shariff ever done to this man other than helping to bring back Somalia back to its feet.

galia   

Jacaylbaro;837516 wrote:
Someone is suffering a slow day on news ,,,
:D

I am sick and tired of people like you attacking our president, a president who's doing his best in a tough situation.

You made those unfair remarks about president Sheikh shariff about a year ago. Considering the massive progress that the president has made, i think that you owe him an apology, immediately