Sign in to follow this  
SOO MAAL

Mogadishu's Eid: Peace, goodwill and toy guns

SOO MAAL   

Mogadishu's Eid: Peace, goodwill and toy guns

p18.jpg

_10445_mogadishu-28-6-2004.jpg

By Guled Mohamed and Mohamed Ali Bile

MOGADISHU, Nov 3 (Reuters) - Africa's most lawless city was awash on Thursday with guns -- toy guns, that is -- as Mogadishu staged a rare moment of peace, gift-giving and goodwill to mark the end of the Muslim fasting month.

Children running through the city's battle-scarred streets replayed the clan fights of their elders, cocking toy firearms they had received in honour of the Eid al-Fitr festival.

Five-year old Ahmed Ali -- in a hurry to find other boys to play with from the Towfiq neighbourhood -- said he could not imagine celebrating the end of Ramadan without a big toy weapon.

"We will go to Towfiq to fire at our friends," he said. "Eid without fighting them is not enjoyable."

Little girls joined in.

Cradling a plastic walkie-talkie, seven-year-old Hibak Abdi dreams of becoming a policewoman and said the Eid celebrations gave her a chance to practice keeping law and order.

"I am acting like a policewoman," she said, watching her seven siblings pretend to fire at each other near their house. "I watch over them as they fight."

Thousands of faithful thronged mosques, enjoying a rare full day of peace and unity in the failed Horn of Africa state, where for 14 years the gun has replaced the rule of law.

In keeping with tradition, the rich gave to the poor.

Wealthy patrons handed out money and food to queues of beggars as Islamic sermons reverberated from loudspeakers.

"This is a happy day, our faith compels us to share the joy with the less fortunate," said businessman Abukar Shamo, 55.

Sheikh Mohamed Barut, a cleric, said over 10,000 Muslims assembled in Mogadishu's football stadium where an explosion killed at least 14 people moments after Prime Minister Mohamed Ali Gedi addressed supporters in May.

"We had more than eight loudspeakers placed in different parts of the stadium so that the crowd could hear the sermon," Barut said.

But for many children, their new plastic firearms were the highlight of the day -- even though the real thing is a daily sight in a country that has been ruled by warlords since 1991.

Somalis say there is nothing sinister about the youthful fad for toy weapons: in staging their mock battles, Somali children are just being like children everywhere.

Whatever the reason, shopkeepers recorded sales of thousands of toy pistols and tanks.

"The toy guns sell like hotcakes during Eid celebrations," said 30-year-old Abdirizak Luqman, who manages a supermarket.

"I have sold nearly a thousand pieces since yesterday."

Source: Reuters

"I am acting like a policewoman," she said, watching her seven siblings pretend to fire at each other near their house. "I watch over them as they fight."

I hope she reaches her dream. She reminds me of my big sister all ways watching all my moves.

Eid in the homeland and much better than Eid in another country.

Happy Eid!