Sign in to follow this  
Jumatatu

Somali 'jihad' on foreign troops

Jumatatu   

_40553333_aweis2203.jpg

Sheikh Aweys denies terror groups operate in Somalia

A militant Somali Muslim cleric has warned of a Holy War or "Jihad" if foreign peacekeepers are deployed.

Sheikh Hassan Dahir Aweys is a senior member of the Islamic courts, which has a militia, and is accused by the United States of having links to al-Qaeda.

President Abdullahi Yusuf wants peacekeepers to protect his government when it relocates from Kenya.

Somalia has not had a functioning government for 14 years and has been divided by rival warlords.

'To the death'

Mr Aweys, who denies that any terror groups operate in Somalia, said it would be the religious duty of all Somalis to fight any peacekeeping force.

"We will fight fiercely to the death any intervention force that arrives in Somalia," he said.

He also urged foreign countries not to fund the proposed peace force.

East African countries have agreed to send some 6,800 Sudanese and Ugandan troops to Somalia.

Several Mogadishu-based warlords, named in Mr Yusuf's exiled government, have also opposed the use of foreign troops.

MPs were involved in a brawl during a debate on the issue last week.

Mr Yusuf does not have a strong support base in Mogadishu, where gunmen can be seen running roadblocks on behalf of the rival warlords.

Source: BBC World edition

Yeah. The Taliban called for "jihad." What was their fate?

Tell adeer afarta wiil oo Reer Guriceel uu xero militari ku guray inay ku filneen "jihad." Waxaa loo baahan yahay Osama siduu yiri Adeer Indhacade icon_razz.gif

Jumatatu   

^^^Loool...!

U sheeg adeer Yeey in afarta will oo xerada guriceel ku jirta in ay ku filan yihiin colka uu so arrursanayo... :D

Miskin   

Jamatutu

Brother we need to ask our selves what is the motive behind these African troops going to Somalia. By the look of it, it seems that these guys are coming to help us out since we Somalis cannot help our selves

Jumatatu   

Originally posted by CAAMIR:

Why not Jihad on the warlords who have taken hostage of the people?
smile.gif

That will also include the Warlords who are calling for the foreign troops. Remember this a government formed by warlords, led by warlords, and now a punch of warlords are calling for foreign trrops to disarm the other warlords for them. What is the result...the current stalemate.

Shirwac   

"We will fight fiercely to the death any intervention force that arrives in Somalia,"

He must really think he is going to heaven :D

Funny how he and the rest gardheer allow mogadishu citizens to be at the mercy of ******** , I guess their quran allows raping females, killing children....as long as they are not ******** members. Funny how dumb people use religion to control dumber people.

Haddad   

Originally posted by wind.talker:

The Taliban called for "jihad." What was their fate?

Well, the "fate" of Taliban isn't how it appears. Not enough time has elapsed, nor has the dust settled for an accurate outcome of the Taliban's "fate." What would appear to be a quick victory could change into a humiliating defeat in a span of years. Besides, a clash between opponents of enequal strengths doesn't necessarily result in a victory or defeat.

Shirwac   

Well, the "fate" of Taliban isn't how it appears. Not enough time has elapsed, nor has the dust settled for an accurate outcome of the Taliban's "fate." What would appear to be a quick victory could change into a humiliating defeat in a span of years. [/QB]

I don't see the Taliban coming back, they have been F-ed royally.

Haddad   

Originally posted by Shirwac:

I don't see the Taliban coming back

That's your opinion. Others, including American intelligence officers/analysts see otherwise. If you have any doubts, you might want to read Imperial Hubris.

bilan   

how come they did not do their little jihads against yalaxow and other warlords,it seems to me some people heard the term and does not know its meaning. where were they when people were killed, raped, and all the things that goes in the city, why did not they fight to death protecting innocents. life in somalia:personal stories

Haddad   

Originally posted by bilan:

where were they when people were killed, raped, and all the things that goes in the city, why did not they fight to death protecting innocents.

How do you know they didn't do what you're asking about? Take a look at this excerpt:

Yet this ferocious exemplary justice has restored peace and harmony to the streets of north Mogadishu. The markets were bustling with economic life, and you rarely see guns beyond the Bakaaraha arms bazaar. There were even a few unarmed policemen around, directing traffic and keeping law and order, spotting their old uniforms and the familiar sky blue berets. At night the streets were properly lit-a rare sight in the besieged capital.

Link

bilan   

why did not you quote everything i said instead of picking and choosing. how come they did not do anything about yalaxow,dheere and all others,why did not they cut their hands and legs,cause i am sure they committed more crimes than any normal criminal and they are the ones who run these gangs,worst justice is the one that is carried against the weak. and because i do not live there right now,does not mean i do not know what is going on, it is been 15 years,mogadisho is still the most dangerous city in the world, did you even read what people said in the site i provided,what did they do for these people?. if they can not guarantee peaceful life to the people,then they should let other people do the job. not destroy the only hope these people have.

Haddad   

how come they did not do anything about

They can do a lot. In fact, they're the answer to Somalia's problems. That's without the interference of the West. But, the time will come when even the interference of the West will not matter.

mogadisho is still the most dangerous city in the world

There's not such a thing as "the most" when it applies to humans or things. There's such a thing like "among the most." It's safe to say there's at least one city which is more dangerous than Mogadishu.

Xoogsade   

I saw a vidoe once where sheekhs had done a superb job in the farmlands, made the tribal leaders part of the ruling elite, set up courts where these tribal leaders with the assistance of Sheekhs managed the towns. People who were interviewed expressed a relief from the maruading gunmen who wreaked havoc on their lives and who basically robbed them through taxation and whatever. However, when these sheekhs gained popularity in parts of Xamar and in the farmlands, Warlords Aidid Jr being the head of them, started accusing them of terroristic deeds, got on the media to wage his own campaign against them, finally, the sheekhs were weakened by tribalism and slowly disappeared from the scene. They were supported by Businessmen to begin with, so I am guessing once the support from these quarters siezed, the whole hope people had changed. They did what they could while they were there, so let us not be emotional and accuse only one part of a total losers. Blame should also go to anyone who introduces controversial issues just because they want it.

Shirwac.

Adiga ma diin neceebey kaa tahay warkaad qortey? Waaban kaa shakiyaye.