Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

Hijab or Jilbab??????

Hi everyone. I just want people, both male and female, to offer their opinions on this issue that has bothered me for some time.

Most of my family (mother, aunts, cousins...) wear the jilbab, and some even wear the cloth the covers the the whole face( the ones in kenya and somalia) but the eyes. Im the only one who wears a Hijab. They have been presuring me to wear it but i feel that i am fully covered. The Hijab covers my face, neck and bosom. Then I wear long, loose skirts, and loose shirts. The thing is they are saying that the quran says a woman has to wear the Jilbab. I cant find that. I only read that it says cover yourself modestly, and the hadith says show only your hands and face.

I know that this a controversial issue, argued even by the Illumahs. Im not asking you to tell me which is right, because there are different interpretations of the verse. Im asking you about your opinions.

Thank you.

x_quizit   

Hello sista, I think the way you are wearing it is fine and that you are correct when the quran says that cover up, but ur face, hands are allowed to show. I think the way your family is wearing it, personally for me, is a bit extreme, but then again, to each his own, as long as they realize that the way you are wearing it is correct as well, you are not exposing anything, therefore, i say keep wearing it the way you are.

Inshallah, when i start wearing it, I will for sure wear a hijab, not the jilbab, which is definetly not required.

Hope they ease up on you.

Peace

LuCkY   

WeLL Hey,

I think that the way u are wearing it is just Fine.

My mom wears the JiLbaab but has never pressured me to wear it.

But Good Luck To You!

Dear sister, by you posting this question shows us how much you care and are concerned about the HIJAB/JILBAB case within you family. The basis of Islam is surly Sincerity, as Prophet Mohammed said; 'Religion is sincerity'. However, as you already said this topic is of a great debate among the Islamic thinkers and scholars. The bottom line will be the individual effort in following the guidelines and adhering to the teachings of Islam with sincerity. JILBAB is mentioned in the Qur’an on Surah Al-ahzab verse 59. The main debate is on the word JILBAB and the interpretation of it, is greatly differed by the Islamic Scholars.

Nonetheless, my opinion would be, if you feel that you are covering your body fully according to the Islamic teachings and you sincerely believe that your beauty (body curves, shapes…etc) are not been displayed ‘knowingly’ than you are on the right path. Not to display the beauty beyond "what is apparent of it" except to the people listed in (24:31), extending the head covering to cover the bosom (you are already doing that…mash’ Allah) and drawing the outergarment close around. Truly, Allah knows best.

The following Qur’an and hadith passages should help you in your relentless pursuit of the truth. Truly, Allah knows best.

"And say to the faithful women to lower their gazes, and to guard their private parts, and not to display their beauty except what is apparent of it, and to extend their headcoverings (khimars) to cover their bosoms (jaybs), and not to display their beauty except to their husbands, or their fathers,..."

Surah an-Nur ayah 31 says:

"O Prophet! Say to your wives and your daughters and the women of the faithful to draw their outergarments (jilbabs) close around themselves; that is better that they will be recognized and not annoyed. And God is ever Forgiving, Gentle."

Surah al-Ahzab ayah 59 says:

The majority of scholars have agreed that the phrase "what is apparent of it" refers to the face and hands.

The Prophet (SAW) explained to Asma bint Abu Bakr (RA) that the phrase "what is apparent of it" refers to the Face and Hands. This is narrated by Aisha Umm al-Muminin (rAa), Qatada (rA), and Asma bint Umais (rAa). This has been confirmed as the explanation of the phrase by the following scholars:

Of the Sahaba, those who supported the display of the face and hands are: Aisha Umm al-Muminin , ibn Abbas , Anas ibn Malik , and Miswar ibn Makhrama (RA).

Of the Tabi'un, those who supported the display of the face and hands are: Sa'id ibn Jubayr (rAa), Ata, Qatada , al-Dahhak , Mujahid , and al-Hasan.

Scholars from the major legal schools (madhahib)

Imam Abu Bakr Jassas, Hanafi scholar: "Our scholars say that this [exemption] denotes the woman's face and hands"

Imam Abu Abdullah Qurtubi, Maliki scholar: "Since the normal case is that a woman’s face and hands are revealed by the force of habit and for worship, as this is required in salat and hajj, then it is appropriate to say that the exemption [in 24:31] applies to these"

Imam Fakhr ad-Din Razi, Shafi'i scholar: "Since the showing of the face and hands is necessary, the jurists had no choice but to agree that they are not awra"

Imam Ahmad ibn Qudama, Hanbali scholar: "[i prefer this opinion] because necessity demands that the face should be uncovered for buying and selling, and the hands should be uncovered for giving and taking"

Forgive me for the long Information. Hopefully this should help in answering your questions. With no doubt, Allah Knows Best.

Raxmah   

Salaams

Sis as you already said this is a controversial topic, we all have different interpretion of hadiths and sometimes verses in the quran. as long as you know you are dressed modestly like allah orders us to - stick to what you feel comfortable in.

nadia   

[quoteIm not asking you to tell me which is right, because there are different interpretations of the verse. Im asking you about your opinions.

]

Assalaamu aleykum,

Dear sister,

Islam is not based on peoples opinion nor what people feel comfortable with

[stick to what you feel comfortable in.

/QUOTE] Raxmah

but on evidence from quran and sunna.

Sheihk Albani (r.a) wrote a book entitled (jilbaabul mar'atul muslima), as we all know this sheikh was one of the highly respected sheikhs of all time and the amount of sound evidence from both the quran and sunna he put into this book shows us all that the verse in Suratul AxZaab verse 59 is actually talking about Jilbaab hence the word Jilbaab is used in the verse (min Jalaabiibihina).

Alxamdu Lillah, there are tapes available translating Sheikh Albani's Book into somali language by Shikh Shariif Cabdi Nuur which you can refer to for more info.

these tapes are available from any somali islamic book shops.

w/s

Raxmah   

^^

I know islam is not based on what we feel comfrtable with I was implying as long as we are modestly dressed I dont see what the difference would be jilbaab or loose clothing and hijab. One is covering my body just like the other so there is nothing wrong with going whichever you feel comfortable in.

Blessed   

I'm going to sound dumb here! But by Jilbaab we mean? is it the cabaayah - or the long triangulare piece worn on top of cabaayaats and skirts by somali sisters!

Personaly, if the maro meets the standards of hijaab - covering everything and not being tight etc... it shouldn't matter what the style is!!

Haashim   

Originally posted by Shabelle:

Most of my family (mother, aunts, cousins...) wear the jilbab, and some even wear the cloth the covers the the whole face( the ones in kenya and somalia) but the eyes. Im the only one who wears a Hijab.

Thank you.

what is Jilbaab?

Jilbaab in arabic is cloth (maro) any cloth, it is not specific cloth. however, in Islamic Fiqh, the jilbaab is the cloth that the women covers its body as ALLAH ordered her.

the Arabs know the Jilbaab other than the what we (somalis) know.

if you go any Arabic shop (wheather it locates here in the west or in jordan, egypt or saudi arabia) and asked the shopkeeper the jilbaab he/she would give you long cloth from neck to the foot which has collar and two arms with many different collars and styles. we don't call this one as jilbaab !

we somalis we have our own jilbaab style.

i'm not going to say the somali or any other style is the right or wrong one since i have no that knowldege rather, i want to ask anybody here; weather there is any Fatwa from any Sheikh (somali or non somali) ever says this type of cloth is the real jilbaab and this is not? or there are conditions that the cloth should fulfill to describe it as jilbaab regardless of its type (somali type, pakistani type, irani type, arabic type enz).

if the answer is the second why our somali sisters discriminate all other styles of jilbaabs (including arab styles) desbite the fact that the word is an Arabic word !

why the above sister shouldn't say i'm the only one in my family who wear e.g the arabic style of jilbaab? is that because she was convinced by her sisters that she is not wearing jilbaab?

are we so selfish?

hijaab is not only maro.it can be any thing.the word hijab means cover in arabic.for example:a women behind a wall or doors or even curtains is muxtajibah,why becuase heis coverd from youor eyes.

jalbaab means any clothes moslim women cover herslef not revealing and not displaying.no matter what style it is,i.e:arabic,pakistani,iranian or somalian as long as that clothes meets the attributes of hijaab,these attributes being that not revealing khafiif or what they called se me through

.even i believe jeans skirts and heads scarves can be jilbaab for moslim women.i find very starange for some people to presurise thier duaghters or eve some men to force their wives to wear arabic style hijaab which in my opnion not useable in western or even some parts of somlia.

onather thing: in islam women are not allowed to dress llike man.what defines that? is't culture?or there is general rules layed down by islam that we have to stick to? in pakistan and india although it is different, women wear trousers.while in yamen wo men wear somali macawis( i have never been in yamen but i was told so) for that matter if somal8i man or arab look at pakistani or indian lady wearing her triditional cloth he will charge them as unislamic.

waxaan umaly inslamku in uu yahay mid aad u fudud lana soconkara dhaqan walba iyo caado kasta oo macquul ah.maadama o islamku ayahay diin cali ah waxaa khasba in aan qofna laga dalbin in uu qaato dhaqan uusan isgu lahayn sida midka carabta ma kan somalida o kale.arimahan oo kalena waaxaa lagu xumiyaa waxa looyaqaan alcurfi oo ah dhaqan ( curfi waa carabi kalimo soomali ah oo udhiganta ninkii garanayo waa sheegi karaa)

nadia   

[onather thing: in islam women are not allowed to dress llike man.what defines that? is't culture?or there is general rules layed down by islam that we have to stick to

Assalaamu Caleykum,

Yes there is a general rule layed down by islam that we have to stick to and is called sunna

the evidence that women are not allowed to dress like men is the saying of the Prophet (scw): sadex jannada ma galaayaan, waxaana sadexdaas ka mid ah naag nin isku ekeysiiso & nin naag isku egeeysiiyo. (saxiix).

Naagaha sida nimanka u labista waa dhaqan gaaleed islaamkuna raad kuma laha. Rasuulkana wuxuu leeyahey qowmkii qowmkale isku ekeysiiya iyagoow ka mid yahey.

If it's ok for women to dress like men it should also be ok for men to dress like women so why dont men wear dirac, skirt etc.

i find very starange for some people to presurise thier duaghters or eve some men to force their wives to wear arabic style hijaab which in my opnion not useable in western or even some parts of somlia.

just because we're in the west doesnt mean we have to stop following the sunna and adopt their style.

one last thing the attributes of hijaab are 7 like sh. Albani(r.a) said in his Book and i've put that up in my previous post.

u've only mentioned that it shouldn't be see through, what happened the rest of the attributes?

walaal nadia i think you completely misundersttood my point,aan kuugu celiyo marlabaad,kamahadlayno in uu islamku mamnuucay in dumarku u labistaan sida raga,taas waa macruuf ,ee waxaan rabnaa in kala saarno,maxaa la eegayaa? hadii an sikale u iraahdo,maxaa looga qisqaataa? sida aan horey u tusaaleyeyba waddama qaarkood waxaa caado u ah in naaguhu sirwaal qaataan(waa waddamo islami ah) umaqaadanayaan uu yahay dhar rag balsie waxay uqaatan in uu yahay dhar dumar.for example:haweenka reer yaman waxay xirtaan macawista raga somalid ah,ok now macawistu ma dhar ragbaa mise waa dhar dumar?so waxaan anigu leeyahay wadan kasta caadadiisa,curfigiisa, iyo dhaqankiisa ayaa la fiirinayaa ee majiraan dharkhaas u ah dumarka oo caalimi ah.( with eception of few international clothes.)

mida kale xijab gabarta muslimda ah laga rabo kumaxirno style khaas ah.for example that of arab or that of somali .waxaa lafiirinayaa oo kali ah: dharkani ma asturayaa cawrada mise maya? anigu ma arag kitaabka aad sheegtay ee u qoray sheekh al-bani.lakiin the most attribute of hijab they say is not to be revealing and display.waxaa kale anigu maanan oran hadii waddama galbeedka ah lajoogo diinta halaga tago lakin waxaa lagama marmaan ah in lala socdo farqiga u dhexeeya cimilooyinka,maxaa yelay winterka uk iyo kan findland isku mid ma'aha.marka gabarta kunool findland ma xiran karto dharka gabarta kunool uk. and so n and so forth.

sorry guys any misspelling of my own languge,i have never been in somali school.