Sign in to follow this  
Jumatatu

Is Puntland immune to the Federal laws of Somalia

Jumatatu   

Originally posted by Qudhac:

it looks like TNG2 to me unless something major changes.

Like its disintegration perhaps..or maybe the exclussion of Ethiopias' influence...but then again that will lead to the former...back to square one

This question of weather Puntland is immune from federal laws or not is irrelevant, or so I think. One obvious reason is the undeniable fact of the lack of federal government, let alone federal laws, in Somalia.

What’s relevant to debate though is weather these business dealings, between Pl government and Ethiopia, are beneficial for the good people of Northeast province. What business interest is in there for Puntland to import Qaad from Ethiopia and export natural resources out? Is it not loose-loose business proposition for Puntland?

A debate along those lines might be helpful, I think.

Pardon me if I stir things out as I venture in to this unsafe territory of SOL, politics forum that is, where abundance of trigger-happy nomads with preemptive mode can strike any time!

Sky   

xiinfaniin bro i know what you mean. i feel like i need to have xamar bodyguards here also before i come to the politics section.

but i think a lot of people got it wrong when it comes to the puntland-ethiopia trade agreement. seriously this is gonna be a big boost for puntland's economy. because first of all puntland found a secure and large market to sell their products to. salt, fish whatever. now puntland can export it for money wich is beneficial to puntland's economy. so puntland ain't losing their natural resources, it had to be sold either way otherwise what good will it do?

about the qaad, they didn't agree on that their should be import of qaad. qaad was always imported from ethiopia, but the change is that the import of the qaad now is regulated and limited only to ethiopia and not kenya. for instance xamar and hargeisa import qaad from both ethiopia and kenya. and the qaad transport used to be a oneway trade. the qaad airplanes would come back to ethiopia totally empty, but not anymore. they will be filled with puntland products. also the qaad flights were done by daalo airlines, now daalo airlines is banned by the puntland government and ethiopian airlines will do this job.

besides qaad, puntland will also import building materials, electrical wiring, sugar etc. for cheap. in return government owned company biftu-dinsho is allowed to use boosaaso and garacad ports for import/export with a discount on the port taxes, but the puntland owned company someth will be given special status in ethiopia. and wardheer city in kilinka shanaad (wich is practically ethiopian occupied puntland) will become the trading hub of someth and biftu-dinsho. someth is now owned by 10 puntlanders, but it will be opened soon for all adult puntlanders to buy a share.

actually the deal ain't that bad after all, isn't it? and i'm talking like it is about to happen, but as in matter of fact the deal allready took in effect in the beginning of january.

Originally posted by Ambassador:

first of all puntland found a secure and large market to sell their products to...now puntland can export it for money wich is beneficial to puntland's economy...the qaad airplanes would come back to ethiopia totally empty, but not anymore. they will be filled with puntland products...puntland will also import building materials, electrical wiring, sugar etc. for cheap. in return government owned company biftu-dinsho is allowed to use boosaaso and garacad ports for import/export with a discount on the port taxes, but the puntland owned company someth will be given special status in ethiopia. and wardheer city in kilinka shanaad (wich is practically ethiopian occupied puntland) will become the trading hub of someth and biftu-dinsho.

You've just stated all the reasons why these self-labeled Somali "patriots" and warlord supporter-turned-federalists are against this Ethio-Puntland trade pact. They simply can't stomach economic growth in "expellee" land. These are the same guys who want justification for the creation of Puntland :D What a joke! The other guy is mad because Berbera port is becoming more and more of a desert. Djiboutian Pres Ghelle told Riyaale the Runner to shut down Berbera Port so the ETs would be forced to use Djibouti port. Who would've thought this plan would backfire and give Puntland (his enemy) a boost.

Sky   

windtalker youre totally right man. puntland has benfited a lot from berbera's dumb tax tariffs. even the somalilanders in west sanaag and togdheere are choosing boosaaso port because it's cheaper and faster. not only that, but because berbera port is so ridiculous, the whole trade of zone 5 that used to go through berbera port is now going to boosaaso port. but also for political reasons because the people in zone 5 are a bit mad at somaliland after they handed over ONLF men to ethiopians. the proof is how they burned somaliland owned trucks. so you see, they pretty pissed off.

like you, i also think that the 'mighty xamar expellers' are a bit jealous of puntland's promising economic future. but hey it's their loss man, cuz they had much more potential than puntland. better airpot and port. but they missed the chance and now booska waxaa ka hormaray puntland.

but windtalker wassup with djibouti's bulshit that they will be the sole import/export hub for livestock in the horn of africa? is this shit true? i know that the emirates have invested heavily in djibouti port. but about what you said that geele's plan backfired. looooool what a joke. this shit is beyond funny. especially when djinouti acted tuff on ethiopia after ethiopia got landlocked. i read on some ethiopian forum how they are pissed off at djibouti for acting all that on ethiopia.

Jumatatu   

Originally posted by wind.talker:

these self-labeled Somali "patriots" and warlord supporter-turned-federalists are against this Ethio-Puntland trade pact. They simply can't stomach economic growth in "expellee" land.

Still bitter are we then...?36_2_9.gif

Ambassador, good points bro. I really did enjoy that. Juma as ever you aint making any points whats up with that :D

Wind, could you please expand on this Djabouti issue regarding Puntland and Somaliland.

Xoogsade   

Well guys, granted this is the benefit of Puntlanders and their economy, and things work out where each region works for its own progress, independent of a federal government, with each region their own ministers running PARALLEL to the federel Ones(Moqdishowers should form the ministries ASAP not to be left behind) Where will Abdullahi Yusuf and his adminstration fit in that picture? Because like Puntland, Mogadishu and its surroundings belongs to people who are interested in their self-interest as well, and they would be pleased to have a federal government out of their business. Imagine they sturck up a deal with china or Malasia, do business in the name of Banadir region, ignore Abduallhi Yusuf and his government. Will any of of you now defending what is going on have a reasonable argument against that? See the picture here? if puntlanders want to make progress, that is their right and they should wait for no one, but to give a federal government that many don't like some legitimacy, they(puntlanders) should do everything under its umbrella no?. Otherwise, maxaa dadka kale ku qasbey iney hoos yimaadaan dowladaan cid kale shaqo ku laheyn oo neutral ka ah waxa ka socda waddanka? This is not about some people having issues with Ethio-Puntland pact. Funny enough that such associations used to be abomination whereas now it is something to brag about. Surely times change. Consider how this regional interest without collarobation with the federal gov can solidify the wish of many. Dadka inuu fakaraa fiican and I know this place is for discussion only that won't have any bearing on what goes on back there.

It seems that pursuing independently the self tribal interests known otherwise as regionalism, runs counter to the legitimacy of federal government, sidaa daraadeed, ama dowladda has a say in everywhere, or it doesn't have a say anywhere. Is that difficult to understand?

I don't like qutbada beenta ahee dadka meelaha ka aqriyo. I don't wanna here about Somalinimo because I know there is nothing called Somalinimo but tribal interests.

Wind.Talker.

If justice for all demands dismantling the country, and that is the only way to get it, it is worth doing it sometimes instead of leaving some in a very disadvantaged position because of a system that won't deliver for them. Waxaa la yiri, waxaa naftaada la jeceshahay la jecloow qofka kalee walaalkaa, and that should be the case, no one should be at a disadvantage at anytime time. If the Federal turns out to be a disadvantage for some, they should bail out of it. Sadly however, dadaan ogahay labo isuma keeni karaan. Maxaaba difaacooda waqtiga la isaga lumiyaa. :D

NASSIR   

'Wafdi uu hoggaaminayo sii hayaha xilka wasaaradda ganacsiga iyo warshadaha ee maamul goboleedka Puntland Cabdinuur Cilmi Maxamuuduud ayaa dhowaan ka soo laabtay dalka Itoobiya, kaas oo heshiisyo ganacsi la soo galay dawladda Itoobiya, heshiiskan wuxuu isugu jiraa isdhaafsiga badeecado kala duwan iyo dawladda Itoobiya oo isticmaali doonta dekedaha magaalooyinka Boosasao iyo Garacad.' Source

My question, does Garacad has port? This is a good sign for residents in Galkacyo, Wardheer, and Garoowe because they don't have to commute all the way to Boosaaso.

Sky   

nassirow, garacad has a primitive port wich is still under construction since years. and the track gaalkacyo-jariiban-garacad is still being paved, most likely the construction halted. i woundt be surprised at all. the only thing that is finished is the new airport of garacad. wich is enough for antonov planes to land on it. so pretty much for qaad planes, united nations planes etc. it can be used, but with all the logistic stress of the bad track and the underdeveloped port, it's just a better option to go to boosaaso. only arabian dhows can harbor at garacad port. the only good point is that the taxation is absent in garacad port na'm sayin. but there is some problems with reer cabdiciise who own the porttown. they want a big share of the taxes and control over the new airport and port. inshaa allaah all will go well, but for now boosaaso is mudug and nugaal's main outlet to the rest of the world.

Aaway dhulkii NFD oo aan ka imid aniga. Aaway Dhulkii Soomaali Galbeed oo uu aabaheey ku dhashay, aaway dhulkii kale ee Francis-ka naga xoogay uuna Djabouti u bixiyay? Kaalay Puntland iyo Bajaqland inta naga deysaan ciyaarta hala soo bilaabo hada, dowladaana hala dumiyo. :D

I don't think that Puntland is immune to the laws of the federal republic of Somalia in the contrary the agreement with ethiopia was witnessed by the foreign minster of the transtional federal government who was in ethiopia at the same time as the puntland delegation.

The agreement was welcomed and facilitated by the transitional government. On the other hand I think that certain people in here are not familiar with the new federal laws. Each state in somalia is allowed to do business with whomsoever it wishes to do trade. We should take as a perfect example the federal republic of Germany.

All the sixteen states have got their own police force and one of this states the free-state of Bavaria actually send their Minister-President and a parliamentary delegation (yes each state has got its own parliament) to Russia to do a bilateral business agreement and the delegation was welcomed by President Putin of Russia.

Also in Germany the different ministeries of the federal government are distributed right across the coutry and not just only in Berlin (the capital) we actually should fellow their system of federalism. Then the finacne minstery would be in Garoowe, home office and defence ministery in Mogadishu and the health minstery in Kismayo etc.

but there is some problems with reer cabdiciise who own the porttown. they want a big share of the taxes and control over the new airport and port.

By the way Ambassodor what's your obsession with Reer Garacad calling their port a primitive one and that a certain subclan is against the development of the port and the the wadagsin project because they want a huge share in the tax revenues. Actually Garacad's port is a natural port and if he thinks that it is primitive than fair enough to him. I don't know why he mentions a particular subclan's name in here but isn't it against the rules of SOL.

And if they want big shares in the tax revenues so what its their town, port and airport (by the way i don't mean a certain clan) the initiative came from reer garacad and they've been helped by theri cousings. I can't see the problem but we somalis seem to exaggerate alot these days. No bad feelings. Wabillahi towfiiq.