Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

Thank you Ahmedou Ould-Abdallah for the Peace

Thousands flee Somalia fighting, says UN refugee agency

Thousands of people have fled Somalia's capital, Mogadishu, since Wednesday, the UN refugee agency has said.

"Since the beginning of February, over 8,000 people have left the city to escape the fighting," spokeswoman Melissa Fleming said.

"We are stepping up our preparedness to intervene and deliver emergency relief to the affected population as soon as the security situation permits."

For months now, fighting has been an almost daily occurrence in Mogadishu.

Some 24 people have been killed and another 40 injured since Wednesday, according to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).

Ms Fleming warned of the difficulties posed by working in a war zone: "As with other humanitarian actors, our own access is affected by conflict."

'Fragile state'

Despite reports of violent clashes between government troops and the Islamist group al-Shabab, the UN Special Representative for Somalia congratulated the transitional government on its work over the past 12 months and urged it to continue its efforts to restore peace and stability to the country.

"Unfortunately, they have had to spend time and resources trying to stop the violent attacks by extremists who oppose all their attempts to bring normality back to the country," said Ahmedou Ould-Abdallah.

"Many people recognize that Somalia is moving from being a failed state in conflict to a fragile state with major development and reconstruction needs," he added.

Somalia has been wracked by violence for much of the past 20 years. It has not had a functioning central government since 1991.

GAAROODI   

A LOST CAUSE......WHEN IS A CORPSE DEAD....WHEN THE HEART STOPS...SOMALIA HAS NO HEART BECAUSE SOMALILAND WAS ITS HEART NOW LET IT REST IN PEACE.

A LOST CAUSE IN MY OPINION.

ANWAR   

^^Tha CAMEL SHIT you call HEART mean nothing to me

SOMALILAND HAS NOW no Natural resource

SO THAT MEANS THE HEART IS IN SOUTH

walahi GAAROODI you starting to annoy me

Hey mr Anwar that so called 'Camel shit' is my home MR, so don't go alienating all Somalilanders, because you can't handle the utter tripe Gaaroodi spouts.

Plus Somaliland has plenty of potential only if ingenuity is used, in overcoming some of its short-comings.

So there i said it!

Plus GAAROODI, can you stop giving us Somalilanders a bad rep man. Just look at your posts man, ever heard of pragmatism, you could use some.

I am a Muslim first, a Somali second, and a Somalilander third. A polity that isn't going to go away anytime soon. And there isn't an oxymoron here so don't try to find one either.

Peace.