Sign in to follow this  
Thinkerman

Are we sinful in Neglecting our Dawah obligation?

As Salam Calayakum

Hi Nomads

Quite recently i bumped into an Ertirean Guy i used to know from my days as an athelete a few years back. This guy (may allah guide him towards islam) was a practising christian searching for the truth. He was studying his bible everyday attending St Paul's church and staying there and studying for a week.

Now in the end he got frustrated as he didnt find he didnt find it to be the truth, and he just didnt belive in christianty anymore. So knowing that am a muslim he started to ask me whether i could be of help to him in give him some materila to read, or to accompany him to a mosque where perhaps he could speak to someone? subhanallah.

So i got him some introductory material to read as he has already started to read the englihs translation of the quran.

No my question arised as when i was collecting some of the books to give this guy i read a passage from a leaflet from UKIM which is a dawah center based in the UK which stated the following.

An important duty enjoined on all muslims by Allah (SWT) IS to be witnesses to the truth before all mankind, that means we should be proclaiming and explaining to the world the guidance that has come to us through Allah's messengers, to act upon it and to invite others to teh way of our lord. Most muslims Neglect this duty which is
sinful

So my brothers and sisters are we sinful in neglecting this duty which is upon us, and how many of us are in a position of being able to give a non-muslim the appriopriate dawah if they approached you?

MashaAllah.....Take the guy to Whitechapel Masjid there is a new Dawah office near the main entrance...Also, Masjid Al Muntada Al Islami Dawah Centre in Parsons Green South West London...I will pass you the phone numbers when I see you next InshaAllah....

Collectively the Muslim Ummah it is Fard Al Kifaayah (Obligation to the Ummah in general) to give Dawah Accoring to a fatwa (religious verdict) By the late Sheikh Abdul-Azeez Bin Baz..May Allah have Mercy on him - Ameen...

He says on his many fataawa that he encourages everyone to give Dawah according to his or her ability but outlines certain manners such as before you give Dawah make sure you practise what you are preaching...and that you do it for Allah's sake alone.

Khayr   

Salaamz

The best du'a is done non-verbally!

In your khuluq (your being). In the Seerah, it was the rasul's (salallahu calihye waslim) character and being that attracted people to Islam and made the bond of the sahaba stronger.

He (salallahu calihye waslim) didn't spend all his time in arguments with the Quraysh b/c you can't convince people through debates.

There is an ayat in the Quran in which ALLAH addresses his rasul (salallahu calihye waslims) and tells him that if you had all the money in the world, you would not be able to unite their hearts, but its Allah who unites hearts.

If the deen of Islam and the sunnah of the rasul (salallahu calihye waslim) premeates through your life and everything you do, then people will become more attracted to the deen b/c of your being, b/c you embody those teachings in your character and conduct.

If someone sees that you do the same things that they do and look and dress like they do, how can they be convinced by your words or any material books that you give to them.

The muslim should be a da'ae for his/her deen, meaning that they should be conscious AT ALL TIMES that they are always representing Islam all the time whether it be coming to work on time or trying their best in a pick up football/soccer game. The Sunnah was COMPREHENSIVE and not based on verbal arguments. If the latter was the case, then the rasul (salallahu calihye waslims) would have just stayed in the masjid and just prayed salat so that the kufar could be defeated, instead of going out in the battle field or spending many sleepless nights digging trenches.

Thx for the information Mujaahid and Khayr. Indeed Khayr this should be apparent for us as muslims in general. It is so true that just being an a good example ppl will view you with respect and trust. And my Khuluq will improve much much more in future inshallah as it isnt what t can be.

Once again thx for answering my question nomads

Haashim   

Originally posted by Shujui-1:

[QB]

An important duty enjoined on all muslims by Allah (SWT) IS to be witnesses to the truth before all mankind, that means we should be proclaiming and explaining to the world the guidance that has come to us through Allah's messengers, to act upon it and to invite others to teh way of our lord. Most muslims Neglect this duty which is
sinful

It is 100% true, may ALLAAH forgive us.

RAG WAA RAGGII HORE HADALNA WAA INTUU YIRI

Nur   

Shujui

The answer to your question is YES, it is sinful not to reach others and teach them about Islam, the prophet SAWS asked that those present should tell those upsent (forever).

Allah SWT, addressing Prophet Muhammad SAWS says :

Say (to Qureish) "No one will shelter me from Allah's(punsihment), and I will not find a refuge (to escape to from this responsibility of Dawa) except for ( to continue) the preaching of Allahs messages (Quraan)"

So, If the prohet SAWS was threatened in such a way, then, who will spared from this accountability?

Nur

N.O.R.F   

One must take every opportunity for Dawa. Even the smallest words portraying the beauty of Islam has a great reward.

Stating our belief in Ibrahim, Musa and Issa is always a good starting point for a casual conversation as many non-muslims think Islam is an alien religion with no ties to the previous books.

Br Shujui...

I think at one point or another we're all guilty of neglecting our obligation towards giving dawa to calling the people to monotheism.(Tawheed)

But also Br keep in mind inshaAllaah that alot of muslims are ignorant,Like alot of us in the west we have neighbours and friends colleagues that are not muslim.

Do we ever talk about Allaah and his messenger to them, do we ever find ourselves situations where we volunteering explain our faith?

I dont do it thats for sure, unless someone asks me why Im wearing the head scarf or why i cant dine with them.InshaAllaah I was thinking to get pamflets explaining Islaam and giving it out to my neighbours, Without them thinking Im converting them.

Nur   

Anyone with an iota of Islamic knowledge that can help a human approach his maker, who fails to do so is in danger in the day of judgement, Allah can forgive her or punish, but that is up to Allah SWT

Nur

hodman   

My understanding of daawa is that you do as little or as much as you are able but you have to do something. What I have a problem with is all those people who can't or won't do anything but sit around and criticize those who are taking it upon themselves to contribute to the cause of Allah. The thinking that you have to be perfect before giving daawa is what's holding back alot of people from doing this. We are so afraid of criticism that we can't stand up for our deen.