Sign in to follow this  
Meiji

Tackling misinformation and character assasination: the case of Sh.Shariif

Meiji   

Somalis have one particular characteristic which is difficult to shake off. Besides been receptive to clan emotions one way or the other, Somalis have the characteristic of evaluating personalities and criticizing as such these individuals while not looking at what these individuals stand for (i.e. their idea’s and arguments) and the wider environment in which they operate. As such, we approach Somali politics along the lines of ‘’hebel said this’’, ‘’hebel did this’’ ‘’hebel then answered or countered with this’’, ‘’hebel x has conflict with hebel y’’

The ''hebel'' kind of approach to politics leaves out all rational discussion of the idea’s men bring forward and undermines sound evaluation of the different strategies and ways to tackle the problems we face. More disturbing is the inability of most people to differentiate personalities from idea’s, and as such find themselves directing their anger and criticism towards the individuals instead of towards their idea’s and arguments. This then leads to a campaign of looking for every dirt one can find against persons just because one does not agree with what they stand for i.e. their political believes, their approach to the realization of their believes, their arguments etc. In this campaign of character assassination the tactic of spreading misinformation is central.

Now let us take one particular case, which lately has caught my attention. That’s the case of Sh.Shariif.

We can disagree with his political believes, we can even disagree with his strategy and tactics to realize those political believes, but we should address those issues instead of revolving our disagreement on the person of Sh.Shariif. We all have the right to address those aspects which we disagree with. But lately, a lot of people have directed their criticism towards Sh.Shariif himself instead of his political believes and the strategy and tactics applied by him to realize those believes. These people went even further then simple criticism and have exhibited some kind of hostility and disgust for the person in question. One only has to look at the terms these people apply, i.e. ‘coward’, ‘hypocrite’, ‘puppet’ etc.

The basis for this animosity and disgust for the person in question is not built on rational and objective reasoning but is mostly founded on misinformation and inability to address the relevant issues, namely his political believes, strategy and tactics etc.

How can we change this sad state of affairs? How can we rationally and objectively discuss the problems we face and their solutions without wasting valuable time in attacks on persons and what they did?

Tackling misinformation and challenging those that attack persons rather then their believes is the way forward. If you disagree with the political believes of a person, present your case and support them with rational arguments. We should be able to understand your disagreement by reading your arguments and seeing how those arguments support your disagreement with the political believes of other men. This kind of constructive debate must be free of misinformation, since that leads to basing our arguments and believes on a shaky foundation (misinformation).

To conclude this topic, I will present in a short time a profile of Sh.Shariif which hopefully will dispel a lot of misinformation which is spread on the media, and which hopefully will encourage many of us to debate about his political believes, past actions, applied strategy and tactics etc without descending into cheap attacks on the man himself and in this way wasting valuable time.

NGONGE   

^^ :D

Wayfarer, adigo hadaad fahantay bal ii fasir ninkaan moxo sheegayaay? A big intro with no substance at all. Somalis this and Somalis that but in the end he did not provide his magic vision, saaxib. Woo enoo balan qaaday oon. A male my age (your age) should abhor such promises, saaxib. Say it with me.....

Meiji   

NGONGE,

If it is nonsense why reply?

matter of fact,

Read the post carefully before you reply next time.

NGONGE   

^^ I did. You are doing exactly what you are accusing others of doing. A lot of hot air and no substance. I am still waiting for your profile of Sh. Sharif os that I could (maybe) comment on it and see where this misinformation you're claiming comes from.

Coloow   

Ngoge, please cease with your cheap shots at newcomers on SOL. If you have nothing to write, don't write it. As a compuslive forumer, you are everywhere with nacnac sxb smile.gif

As to the topic; Sheikh Shariif was before the coming of Amxaaros and their lackeys (warlords led by Abdillahi Yusuf)a man respected by somalis of all kinds. He has since then become a character that loves travelling, living in hotels while the kids he lead were fighting the occupation. When finally, the day came, many expected that Sheikh Sharif will fight for the dissolution of the 4,5 based warlord parliament. Instead he appears to be spearheading a bad episode version of the TFG II.

It is apparent that he is another somalia, who has been seduced by Madaxweyne mar i dhaha.

If he becomes the president he will be the leader of 540+ qabilistes, warlords and dogs of war.

Because of this he is likely to face an opposition and life for the ordinary man in Muqdisho and the rest of the country will remain the same; starvation, wars, and all the ailments of somalia.

Meiji   

Waranle,

Thanks for your contribution and the arguments you provided.

This is the kind of debate I was expecting, people stating their views and then supporting it with rational arguments.

I will in a short while post a profile of Sh.Shariif, and answer some of your allegations based on that profile.

First we need to get the setting right, we cannot discuss about something without having the background and correct information at hand.

Abtigiis   

Sheikh sharif's profile is well know, unless you are going to give us your feelings about him.

Ngonge is right, this is immature stuff.

It is funny how people who are disagreeing with Sh Sharif can't even list any LEGITIMATE criticism of him without relying on some very phony notions of reality/history. This proves Meiji's point 100% smile.gif

Fabregas   

^^mieji doesn't have point, at least not yet anyway. Where still waiting for the middle part and conclusion of his little essay; :D Otherwise it fails on analysis and evaluation. ;)

NGONGE   

^^ Woo eno balan qaaday and then stood us up, saaxib. I had a feeling that's what he would do from the start. :D

Waranle,

I try to catch them young and set them in the correct path, saaxib. As the kids would say: don't watch me, blud.