Sign in to follow this  
IL CAPO

WHEN LOVE KILLS.

IL CAPO   

BY: Abdirahim Mohammed Gure

A Somali Student Living in R.S.A

When I entered the family meeting place, I saw him sitting there, relaxed and blowing a smoke as the gold ring in his finger spoke silently of his new found wealth, he was wearing a silk shirt and bright, sparkling shoes.

I had not met him before and I was curious to know

If he was one of the warlords who made their wealth from killing innocent people or corruption.

I did not wish to judge,so i decided to listen and try to understand whatever he had to say.

I heard him talking about our beloved country Somalia and how he invests thousands of dollars in it because he loves it dearly.

I understood that all his family lived comfortably

abroad and he frequently visited his wife and children in their safe mansion at one of western countries' big city suburbs, he drew my attention when he said, "all of the country is wrecked and everyone in it is a thief".

I did not intend to enter into discussion about such a slogan that is becoming common these days amongst the bloodthirsty criminals when asked by one of the men "What about the poor civilians the defenceless women and children, are they thieves too?"

He straightened up like he was expecting the question, then he said as he gave me a glare "I spent lots of my own money on the poor but these "warlords" didn't approve my charity work because they said it exceeded the legal permitted limit so instead they wanted me to contribute to their good cause so I believe I have done my best so far for the poor people of our country."

I asked myself if you got money does it give you the right to manipulate and jeopardise poor people's lives?

He paused as he took a puff off his cigarette "it's impossible for people to live peacefully when there thousands of irresponsible young men with guns preying on the poor and the powerless civilians in our country".

I asked him naively "what are you going to do about that, sir?"

He said "to spend more money to ensure there wont be no more thugs on our streets terrorising us and our children, then he shouted, addressing the crowd, do you think we live better than those that still remain in Somalia? We are the ones who are struggling for their living, we come back home with intentions to invest our hard earned cash in our country then the same people that we came back to rescue end up killing our desires and our souls and our spirits and sometimes even murder us.

I said quietly "but who keeps funding these heartless thugs?" he looked confused and bit irritated I must say, "funds? What funds are you talking about, I know there are some people who fund these crooks and cold blood killers but I am sorry, I am not one of them" then giggling out loud he said "don't worry about me my dear friend, I am not part of the disease but the cure" Just like that Sir? I asked then he replied smiling " I am not here to increase the merciless murderers on the loose but to decrease that is my goal, don't worry my friend, we know how things are done in this wrecked country"

I said repeating "this wrecked country?" he answered "this country needs police, a very strict and honest police to restore peace and order" I couldn't help but think back what he said few minutes earlier and realized what he was suggesting was more fire power but hang on a minute, I thought he was a businessman who was here to help rebuild his country and who also few minutes earlier told us that he was not here to increase the murder rate but to decrease it.

Don't you think someone will still die perhaps unnecessary death either in the hands of the police or these so-called murderers?" I asked.

He arrogantly laughed and said "what are you saying my brother? You seem to be living in a different world".

I could not with hold myself from asking, "If all this was done for the love of a country, what would you have done if you hated it?"

This is a small scene reflecting the bigger picture of the Somali people's failure to show real passion, commitment and patriotism towards their own country and people and above all they don't have a unified vision of the welfare of the country and it's people and it hurts me even deeper to witness how we keep on destroying our country and it is a question worth asking "how long will it take us to see that if we don't stop destroying the land immediately there wont be a place to call home which we can all live in peace and harmony"

It is about time our people stopped killing each other and acknowledged that it is each and everyone's fault our beloved country is a mess today or should i say a "Wrecked" we should remember that this is indeed our own country and it is each and every one of us' responsibility to always put our country before our ridiculous and silly arguments and let us all pray to Allah and ask him for forgiveness.

May God Bless Somalia and Somali People.

NOTE:

This article is not about any particular warlord that he met but it is very much about his own opinion and how some people take advantage of the other poor and innocent Somali people living in Somalia.