Sign in to follow this  
Suldaanka

Warar Qubane ah

Mogadishu:Haatuf reporter interviews RRA official

source

S-Sida aad ogtahay sanadkii 1991kii ayay Somali-land ay ku dhawaaqday inay ka go’dey Soomaaliya inteeda kale, markaa arrintaa siday kuula muuqataa adiga?

J: Anigu horta Somaliland waxaan u arkaa dal dulman xuquuqdoodiina la duudsiyay xiligii taliskii Maxamed Siyaad Barre, waa dadkii horseeday midnimada iyo dawladnimada oo markii ay xoroobeen Muqdisho la yimid iyadoo ayna jirin cid u yeedhay, raggii iyaga ahaa waa la xumeeyay si xun baa loo galay dawladdii kacaanka ahayd ee Siyaad Barre ayaa fogeysey rag baa ka soo hor jeedey gooni isu taagga Somali land oo lahaa khalad weeyaan, laakiin aniga marna qalbigayga soomay galin, xaq bayna u leeyihiin inay goostaan oo gooni isu taagaan haddii ayna sidaa yeeli lahayna waa lagu tuman lahaa, koofurtu shan iyo toban sano ayay dawlad la’aayeen, hadda Somali landna dawlad baa ka jirta, nidaambaa ka jira, haddii anaguna aanu ku khasbi lahayn oo aanu odhan lahayn, sida dadka qaarba hadda ay leeyihiin midnimadu waa muqaddas maxay muqaadas ku noqoneysaa, gurigaaga haddii aanad wax ka qaban Karin, nin gurigiisa samaystay oo ku tala galay sababta loo bi’inayaa maxay tahay, anigu fakir ahaan waxaan qabaa way ku sax san yihiin, kuwanina (koonfurta) ma aha kuwo heshiis noqonaya, lagamana filayo, haddii ay dadkaasi isku tashadeen waxa ila haboon in lagu raaco oo sidooda loo daayo.

S: Ma jiraa wax xidhiidh ah oo idinka dhaxeeya Somali land haddaad tihiin siyaasiinta Digil iyo Midhifle?

J: Dadka reer Somaaliland iyo dawladoodaba anagu markuu Caydiid na haystay oo aanu gobolada dalka Soomaaliya oo dhan aanu marayney, waxaanu tagnay Harggaysa, si weynna waa naloogu soo dhaweeyay, gacan aad iyo aad u wanaagsan baa nala siiyay xag siyaasadeed iyo xag dhaqaalaba iyo mid milateriba, xornimada aanu iska xoreynay raggii na qabsadayna gacan wayn bay ka gaysteen, abaalna waanu u haynaa, aniga keligay ma aha ee dhamaan Digil iyo Midhifle oo dhan ayaa abaalkaas u hayana markaa markii ay wax nooga bahdaan hiil iyo hooba diyaar baanu ula nahay,anagu waxaanu waligayo ahayn dad Fedraalka jecel oo lixdameeyadii ayaanu ka hadli jirnay iyaguna caynkaas oo kale ayay ahayeen markaa iyaguna dulmigii way ka baxeen anguna waanu ka baxnay markaa hadii midnimadii la waayey raali ayaanu ka nahay sida ay doonayaan in loo yeelo.

Jijiga-Togochalle Road Gets Consultant

The Ethiopian Roads Authority (ERA) has awarded a 19 million Br design and construction supervision contract for the 74Km road from Jijiga to Togochalle to Intercontinental Construction and Technocraft (ICT), an Indian firm.

The contract is to upgrade the existing gravel road to concrete asphalt.

ERA did temporary repairs on the 74Km stretch from Jijiga to Togochalle in June 2005, immediately following the decision of the government to use the Port of Berbera. Although the repairs were done, the road has now returned to its previous depreciated state.

This led to ERA receiving a mandate from the Office of the Prime Minister to build the road according to international standards. The entire project covers 184Km and is divided into two parts. The 106Km stretch from Harar to Jijiga was awarded to Hunan Hunda, a Chinese firm, at a cost of 346 million Br. The most recent award to ICT, to cover the 74Km from Jijiga to the Somaliland border town of Togochalle, will complete the road upgrade.

The first consignment of 250 containers belonging to the Ethiopian Electric Power Corporation was brought in through the Port of Berbera in October 2005. Problems were encountered while it was being shipped inland due to the poor condition of the road. Local transporters, such as Comet Transport that had begun moving the goods inland, refused to return to the job for a period of time, stating the road conditions as a reason.

Samson Wondimu, Information and Public Relation Services head at ERA, told Fortune that ICT is expected to complete the design work in six months.

When the construction of the road is completed, it will have the capacity to handle 400 heavy trucks a day, said sources from ERA.

He added that a tender to select a contactor would be floated within the coming three months.

Samson said that until the design has been completed, the exact cost of the project cannot be determined. However, sources close to the situation told Fortune that the estimate is over 200 million Br. The cost for the construction is being covered by the government, and the project is expected to be completed within three years according to Samson.

Of the 945Km route from Addis Abeba to Somaliland, 785Km are in Ethiopia, while 160Km are in Somaliland.

A member of the Berbera Corridor Committee which is chaired by Kassahun Hailemariam, head of the Ethiopian Transport Authority, said that the government’s plans to use the Port of Berbera to import fertilizer and food aid to supplement that coming turough Djibouti.

“The three year plan ERA has developed is a long term one that does not adhere to the government’s immediate wish. The project is expected to be sped up and completed before then,†said the member.

First Transit Office Opens in Somaliland

By ISSAYAS MEKURIA

FORTUNE STAFF WRITER

The first transit, forwarding and customs clearance agent, Ethio-Somland Trading Plc has been opened by Ethiopian and Somaliland nationals to service Ethiopian goods that come through the Port of Berbera.

The Republic of Somaliland, which has not been given recognition as a state by world governments, is now home to the first-ever commercial company opened by Ethiopian and Somaliland citizens, according to the head of the Somaliland Commercial Office in Ethiopia.

Established by Farhan Haj Mohammed and Abdulahi Gamadid from Somaliland, and Al-Staz Plc from Ethiopia, the company has a capital of three million Birr. It received its trade licence from the government of Somaliland.

Al-Staz Plc, established in 2004, imports vehicles and spare parts into Ethiopia. The company is also active in the transport sector.

Keder Awel, owner and General Manager of Al-Staz said that he drove the entire 945Km route to the Port of Berbera to reassure himself that the route and the road conditions were safe. Having done that, he said, he then made the decision to establish Ethio-Somland.

“Ever since the Ethiopian government announced that it would consider Berbera as an alternate port to Djibouti, I thought to myself that there is something to be done here,†he said.

Although, there is little serious activity going on in the area at the moment, he said he was optimistic the situation would change over time and that there would be plenty of business to go around.

Ethiopia signed an agreement with the self-proclaimed government of Somaliland in May 2005 after using Djibouti as its sole port since 1998. The first shipment of Ethiopian goods of 500 containers for the Ethiopian Electric Power Corporation arrived at the Port of Berbera in October 2005 at the same time as 10 used cars of a businessman who resides in Dire Dawa. Although the shipments have arrived at the port, none have been brought inland.

“I don’t think Ethiopian business men have heard all the full advantages of using the Port of Berbera. Furthermore, if they took the time to find out, I am sure they would understand that Somaliland is a nation of peace,†said the Chief Executive Officer of Ethio-Somland, Farhan. He added that businessmen in Somaliland, as well as the Ethiopian government should make more effort to sell the country and the port to Ethiopian businessmen.

The agreement reached in May 2005, when Getachew Belay, former minister of Revenues, travelled with a delegation to meet Somaliland officials, stipulates that the port handling fee for 20ft containers is 160 dollars while 40ft containers cost 200 dollars. The same size containers in Djibouti would cost 275 and 556 dollars respectively.

“These prices are low by the standards of any port,†said Farhan who added that goods that come into the port could stay there free of storage fees. “This has special advantages for Ethiopian businessmenâ€.

The Ethiopian Ministry of Foreign Affairs has appointed Ambassador Wubshet Demmise, former director of the Diaspora Affairs Directorate, to head the Somaliland Commercial Zone Office for Ethiopia in Somaliland.

The Ambassador said that he would be moving to the capital Hergessa next week and explained that “emphasis would be given to strengthen the relationship between the two nations and to allow for the use of the port to be smooth for Ethiopian businesses and businessmenâ€.

A source at the Ethiopian Shipping Lines (ESL) told Fortune that the company brings shipments up to the Port of Aden and then has them transferred to smaller vessels that can be accommodated by the Port of Berbera. At least two ships will come in through the Port every one or two months to help ease the congestion that has occurred at the Port of Djibouti over the last two months, he said.

“There is also a plan to bring fertilizer through the Port of Berbera†said the ESL source, adding that it would be important for the port to be able to handle that type of traffic and all the transit work.

The Head of the Somaliland Commercial Office in Ethiopia, Yusuf Jamac told Fortune that the government of the state would give a trade licence to any Ethiopian that wanted to come and work in Somaliland.

Although Ethio-Somland has opened its offices in Hergessa, it will use the Al-Staz offices for its base in Addis Abeba, according to the CEO.

Anigu
horta Somaliland waxaan u arkaa dal dulman xuquuqdoodiina la duudsiyay xiligii taliskii Maxamed Siyaad Barre, waa dadkii horseeday midnimada iyo dawladnimada oo markii ay xoroobeen Muqdisho la yimid iyadoo ayna jirin cid u
yeedhay
, raggii iyaga ahaa waa la xumeeyay si xun baa loo galay dawladdii kacaanka ahayd ee Siyaad Barre ayaa fogeysey rag baa ka soo hor jeedey gooni isu taagga Somali land oo lahaa khalad
weeyaan

So, reer Baydhabo speaks like that?

It is one thing to write an article, but is completely another when quoting others by using one's own standard dialect to attribute others. When one quotes, it should exactly be written the way the quoted person says.

NB, Aadan Marguus wasn't a senior nor junior member of that defunct RRA organization. He was a just an individual businessman contributing funds to that organization, same as Shariifka did.

Perhaps, Haatuf should also interview me if it desperately values every layman jaamac's or caasho's opinion regarding Waqooyi Galbeed. :D

NASSIR   

Professor Ali Mazrui urges modification of Somaliland's name to [somalistan]

By Dr. Mohamed –Rashid Sheikh Hassan=

HARGEISA, 6 April 2006--Professor Ali Mazrui, the famous African historian and eminent

"You may consider modifying your name like Somalistan, which has similar ending like those of other Islamic countries such as Pakistan, Afghanistan etc."

Source: Awdal News

smile.gif

^^ :D

I laughed hard at the prof. suggestion. Somalistan? Where is that... in South East Asia? :D

If Somaliland had to change name, then I would suggest a name with no "Somali..." in it. Shankaroon would be a better name wouldn't ya say? :D

MMA

What did you expect sxb? Areero Ma fagaasa? icon_razz.gif

Sul., aniga af Maay kama hadleynin. Af Maay inkastoo looga hadlo dhamaan gobolada Koonfur Galbeedka, oo ah lix, oona ahayn kaliya wax ee fahmaan hal magaalo mise gobol, sida ninka meeshaan ku qoray mooday 'except them.' Ha la iga jaahil bixiyo dheh.

Af Maxaa Tiriga aan ka hadlaaye. Reer Arlaadi af Maxaa tiri markee ku hadlayaan sida reer Koonfureedka kale ayee u hadlaan.

Fadaasa dheh, fagaasa beel. :D

nuune   

looooool@Fagaase fagaara maa la joogaa, it would be better if Sul or Oodweyne go to Arlaadi and learn Reewin there so they could interview Arlaadi people about what they think of Somalistan, then we can have the original Af-May published here.

Caamir, ariiroow meey kiin daary, except themna maxaa waaye, af-daboolung dahabu!

^^good idea sxb

koley af in la bartaa waa wax fiican. Laakin I don't think Afmaay inuu sidaa u adagyey. Waa af Somali in yar wax ka siyiin. :D

Let me try and translate what you wrote:

ariiroow meey kiin daary = Waryee maxaa ku daaray?? sow maha :D

af-daboolung dahabu = (this is very obvious)

MMA

Sxb I know what you mean, but don't ask me. I am no the reporter nor the editor, but in any way the message has not been lost in translation or is it? Mise waxaad leeday Igaarka Marguus la yidhaa waa laga beensheegay?

my bad, all along, I used think it was "fagaasa" :D thanks for the correction.

Does it mean: Waryee maxaad leeday or something like that??

Does it mean: Waryee maxaad leeday or something like that??

Waa u dhawdahay.

Ariiroow mey fadaasa = Wiiloow maxaa rabtaa.

Mise hadaan si reer Waqooyi aan u dhaho, "Inanyahoow maxaad doonee."

Fadaasa ereyga 'fad' uu kasoo jeedaa, oo u dhigmo 'rabid.'

Fad = rabid

Fadaasa = rabtaa

Fad ama ha fadin waa lagu fadsiin ma maqlin miyaa?

Kuwaan isku deey inaad fahantid:

Geegii mariidi.

Shalmeey geerad.

^^ :D

Sxb I always hear about that phrase "fad ama ha fadin waa lagu fadsiin" but I never thought it was a Maymay one.

Kuwaan isku deey inaad fahantid:

Geegii mariidi.

Shalmeey geerad.

:eek:

I have no idea... but let me take a wild wild guess:

Geegii mariidi: Go'aygii maradii

Shalmeey geerad: Shalmad iyo googarad :D

Originally posted by Suldaan Nacasdiid:

Shalmeey geerad: Shalmad iyo googarad
:D

Fad ama ha fadin waa combination of Maay iyo Maxaa. It was purportedly uttered by a frustrated Siidka upon coming all the way from Taleex to Tiyeegloow, Bakool, to seek assistance of any means. Sh. Aweys -- who led most dariiqyada in South and was based in Tiyeegloow because of his expulsion from Baraawe by Talyaaniga -- refused to help him in the war, saying 'dagaal ma fadaana.'

Since the sheekh had a large following, plus sufficient geel, Siidka lobbied him at least he should assist his jihaad with some geel, if he refused manpower. Again, the sheekh gave the answer: Dagaal ma fadaana.

A frustrated Siid finally said, "Fad ama ha fadin, waa lagu fadsiin." And left.

Well, wuuka dhabeeye. Shortly after that meeting, his daraawiish were alleged to have ambushed the poor sheekh and killed him.

Originally posted by Suldaan Nacasdiid:

Shalmeey geerad: Shalmad iyo googarad
:D

:D:D:D

Xarafyada see u qoran yihiin ama see ugu eg yihiin af Maxaaga ha u fiirin. It works sometimes, but it may mislead you other times.

Geegii mariidi = waayadii hore ama maalmihii hore [xarafka gee means maalin]

Shalmeey geerad = maalin dhawayd ama maalin hore ama saa hore ama daraad

Teeda kale inkastoo Soomaali maryooleey af Maxaa ku hadlo aaminsan yihiin in uu Maay ka yar yahay its counterpart Maxaa, hadana hadaa fiiristid af Maayga wuu ka farac weyn yahay Maxaaga. Ereyo badan oo Maxaaga ka dhumay ayaa ku jiro Maayga.

Tusaale:

Hiraab [waaberi or aroor]

Har.ti [nin ama man]

Gaal [geel]

Sadexda xarafba maanta waa qabiilo magacyadooda, siiba kan ugu dambeeyo oo dhowr qabiil loogu magac daray.

Gaal waa meesha uu xarafka geel kasoo jeedo, which we share with Oromo. Oromada were called 'gaallo' in the old days because dad geelo ama gaalo badan lahaa ayee ahayeen, and they lived dhul badan maanta Soomaaliya kamid ah. Since they weren't Muslim, and the only foreigner Soomaali waagaas isku jireen were Oromos, they were gaalo. Waaba meesha uu ereyga 'gaal' kasoo faractamay ugu dambeyntii.

So, are you saying that Af Maay is the parent language to the Somali language? Very interesting indeed.

I see you said Hiraab = Aroorta hore, well there is the Somali word "Hiirta" as in "Hiirta Waabari", it certainly looks like that it decended from that Maay word.

Af Somaligu waa af la soo bililiqaystay intiisa badan.

A frustrated Siid finally said, "Fad ama ha fadin, waa lagu fadsiin." And left.

I've known of that ugly act of murder of Sheekh Aweeys by the Crazy Mullah, but I didn't know the phrase originated from that incident.

I also heard the Mad Mullah uttered "Af Gaalo iyo Mid Muslim, miduun aan idinku soo noqdo"...

Xarafyada see u qoran yihiin ama see ugu eg yihiin af Maxaaga ha u fiirin. It works sometimes, but it may mislead you other times.

Geegii mariidi = waayadii hore ama maalmihii hore [xarafka gee means maalin]

Shalmeey geerad = maalin dhawayd ama maalin hore ama saa hore ama daraad

LOL

Its harder than I thought. Waxaan islahaa "shaqalada" iyo "xarfo" ayuunba yara silane.

How does this sound: Ariirow, meey faday shalmeey geerad? Does it sound right? :D

I wasn't suggesting in uu afka Maxaaga kasoo faractamay Maayga, mise Maayga ka duqsanyahay Maxaaga. Nor did the words descend from Maay.

Since both are supposedly one language, ereyada waa wada wadaagaan. Laakiin af Maxaaga lost plenty of its originality, changing them to foreign words.

It was a common knowledge and widely acknowledged in the old days that a language on the coast is far more vulnerable than those in interior, that it can easily and heavily influenced by some elements of foreign languages.

Thus Maay being an interior-based language, it had an advantage over its sister counterpart, Maxaa. It retains much of its original language structural than its sister. It still also has a strong relationship with its not that distant cousin language, Oromo.

An example of influence is the foreign-introduced addition of letter 'kh,' which had in a way changed the formalities of Maxaa dialect.

The introduction of 'kh,' which Maay doesn't have to this day, even threatened the very existence native letter of 'Q' in Soomaali. To this day, there is a rampant confusion about these letters.

If we continque Maay words in Maxaa tiri places and tribes, one such word is dhaw [or pronounced as dhab sometimes].

In Maay, it means 'beat, fight, dirir...' The places or tribes you see on it:

• Baydhabo [pronounced sometimes Baydhawo]
  • Dirirdhabo [or Dirirdhawo]
  • Bandhawoow [a Reer Xamar sub-clan]
  • Gugandhabe [A large clan that lives in Hiiraan]
In Dirirdhabo, it consists two words with almost same meaning. Baay is a tree name, so it might have to do geed lagu dagalaamay. Ban, I am not sure about it. Bankii galeyda laga jafo amee tahay. Gugan, not sure again.

I heard in the Kacaan days, they wanted a Soomaali word for 'vanguard' or in other military terminology. They came up with horseed, which consists two Maay words. Hor and seed. Hor waaba iska caadi since ee Maxaa wadaagaan. Seed in Maay means 'aad, u socdo, reach, going, heading.' [Intee seedaasa? or intee u socotaa, as an example]

Its closest Maxaa counterpart might have been hormuud or hormood, but in this vanguard context couldn't be used.