Sign in to follow this  
miles-militis

Puntland officials: no targeting of IDPs

Good thing that the officials are now addressing this hateful sentiment. The demo was dangerous development.

Also recent rhetoric as of late reported by the news portals was not helpful. It had, it seems now, a rabble-rouser effect.

Abtigiis   

This is getting comical. Kolkay Adminstration'ku dad xidhaana, it is only limited to the admin baa la odhan; kolkay shacabku xenophobic noqdaana, adminkaa dajinaayaa la odhan.

^^You are still on it, eh?

Don’t mix the two things, Aw. They are two different matters. Unless you are still holding grudges, it’s commendable that these leaders are calming the masses and warning against tribal incitements.

As for the five men fiasco, we gave the admin the benefit of doubt when they arrested those five men. The admin said they had them in their own prisons and will bring them to justice and before local courts. It sounded a reasonable approach to take.

In hindsight, the admin must have done some thing terrible with those men for they would have brought them to their own courts if the men were still in their custody as they said. Even if they still have the men in their custody, as the admin still claims, I am not convinced that at this point anything the admin does will be meaningful at all. It’s one thing to arrest men on the bases of suspicion, jail them, and bring them to court. It’s totally something else however when you say something on the airwaves but failed to do anything to demonstrate it. Apparently the damage is already done and the fault lies with Faroole and his security apparatus.

Having said that, your protests were unwarranted. They were hasty, inconsiderate, and finally took a clannish dimension that poisoned the well, as it were.

Originally posted by xiinfaniin:

Good thing that the officials are now addressing this hateful sentiment. The demo was dangerous development.

Also recent rhetoric as of late reported by the news portals was not helpful. It had, it seems now, a rabble-rouser effect.

Somethings better left unuttured-Faroole opened a can of worms when he tried to differentiate Somalis.

^The sad and ironic thing is, Bosaso and rest of Puntland is thriving precisely cuz all Somalis live and do business together.

It will be an empty shell if people's lives and properties are threatened and destroyed.Bosaso will be another Berbera!

ElPunto   

^What happened in Berbera and when?

There are serious security issues and it's easier to cast blame than to really tackle it. All governments have a propensity to do that.

I don't think anything is threatened at this point. There is agitation and frustration that there is not a concerted effort by the goverment to deal with the issue. Personally - I haven't seen any announcements or any agenda to tackle this.

Che, Boosaaso is what it's because of its people, not because of PL government.

Today's challenges are unique in that the city outgrew current government's capacity. A bomb here and there will not drive the city and its people back to where things were couple decades ago. They will overcome insha allah.

TP, I agree in the big shceme of things not much is threatened, but this continoues bombings can negatively affect people's security and the general perception of peace and stability.

GAAROODI   

Saxib, berbera GDP is 20 times higher then that of bosaso, have you been? i have been to both, albeit a short time in bosaso, but i saw what a dump it was.

The point-Nothing, just referencing its economic idleness. Bosaso and Puntland will suffer if they turn on Somalis from the rest of the country. It is the diversity and the strenght in number meesha shideysa. It is "our land" mantra will kill the city.

Xiin...I hope it doesn't go back.

ElPunto   

^Any 'our land' talk is fairly isolated and borne out of a desire to scapegoat. Ultimately I think there will pressure on the admin to tackle this issue. Which this demo even with its ugly banners has done to some extent.

Abtigiis   

Originally posted by xiinfaniin:

^^You are still on it, eh?

As for the five men fiasco, we gave the admin the benefit of doubt when they arrested those five men. The admin said they had them in their own prisons and will bring them to justice and before local courts. It sounded a reasonable approach to take.

In hindsight, the admin must have done some thing terrible with those men for they would have brought them to their own courts if the men were still in their custody as they said. Even if they still have the men in their custody, as the admin still claims, I am not convinced that at this point anything the admin does will be meaningful at all. It’s one thing to arrest men on the bases of suspicion, jail them, and bring them to court. It’s totally something else however when you say something on the airwaves but failed to do anything to demonstrate it. Apparently the damage is already done and the fault lies with Faroole and his security apparatus.

Having said that, your protests were unwarranted. They were hasty, inconsiderate, and finally took a clannish dimension that poisoned the well, as it were.

Good development here that you start to believe there is a possibility the Puntland admin were lying.

But it is cynical of you to accuse me of having grudges whenever I comment on the misdeeds of the admin in Puntland. Ma ha hadlin baa kolkaa hawshu?

Damn'd if you do, damn'd if you do not, no?

But the dichotomy herein is: what is one to do?

It is one thing to revile Punt admin for not keeping the peace on one hand, but when they do by way of arresting, in some cases killing villains caught red-handed in broad day light, and releasing the identities of the guilty party, who in most cases, unfortunately happen to be of other regions deep in proxy malfeasances;

Conversely, if the general public chooses to adopt a “we have had it” dictum, , rightly or not, in smelling foul amongst IDPs, thereby indiscriminately targeting innocent persons, then what is the right approach?

Till then,