Sign in to follow this  
Peacenow

Lass Qoray Port Project

Xudeedi   

We need several other ports and roads to drive our country to self-sufficient economic opportunities. This is a great project for all of us. I donated half of the amount I was asked to pay as a share.

Hopefully,the main purpose of this project which is to provide guidance and support in the means and ways forward towards recovery and reconstruction for the Sool and Sanaag community will come to its full fruition.

Local community inputs in terms of ideas, commitments, plans, needs and human and material resources will be channeled through effective mechanisms built into the mandate and work of the front line agency--Horn relief.

Thanks Horn

NASSIR   

Duke, I heard the first phase of the construction will start on May this year. Most of the initial capital needed to carry out this project is in the hands of the relief agency.

Those other projects that were carried out and implemented had weak management capacity and internal disputes on who is to earn the largest share of its profit and retained earnings. Conversely, Horn's projects in Sanaag, Togdheer and Sool and around parts of Juba region focus on ways to alleviate our plight because of lack of central government. It had been very successful due to its depth and broad knowledge on the conditions of these areas, assisting mostly needs of differing Somali communities.

Now it is targeting Las Qorey, an ancient commercial city that has declined during the civil war. Its fishery sector, which Somaliland relied on for its Annual Economic report to UNDP seemed sustainable for years until management problmen has ripped the heart of this industry. This industry was however very productive and effective in terms of employment and involvement. The JNA reported once,

"Less than 1% of Somaliland’s population is engaged in the fisheries sector, mostly limited to small-scale fishing of crabs, lobsters, prawns, and sharks. More than half of the fishermen are employed to supply the tuna canning factory at Las Qorey, which re-opened in 2001, and processes 16 tons of fresh tuna per day. Industrial fishing is carried out almost exclusively by foreign vessels. In 2003 the Somaliland government licenced 36 Egyptian vessels, which earns the government around US$ 50,000 per vessel annually and provides some local employment. Somaliland has limited surveillance capacity with which to detect illegal fishing. Potential catch from Somaliland’s marine resources is estimated at 90-120,000 tons per annum; total fish production in Somaliland is believed to have reached its highest level in 2004, but is still below 13,000 metric tons22."

http://www.somali-jna.org/downloads/Draft%20Cluster%20Report%20Livelihoods%20&%20Solutions%20for%20the%20Dispalced%20in%20English_I.doc

I think the LasQorey is a great development program and it will indeed respond to the needs of our people very swiftly.

this realy good,,, i hope all somalis should understand rebuilding insteed of destroying...

according to my understanding from the above link the project is community funded. may allah help them and make their dreams of rebuilding come true.

NB: if the fund raise is open for all i would personnaly like to contribute 2. any1 knws that?