Sign in to follow this  
NASSIR

Union of Islamic Courts - Saafi Abdi

NASSIR   

Excellent insight from a Mumin endowed with the wisdom and knowledge of her people and country.

Union of Islamic Courts

Safi Abdi

May 21, . 2007

When the Union of Islamic Courts first appeared on the Somali political horizon, many Somalis, including myself, were overjoyed.

This was a genuine feeling shared by all those who truly hoped and prayed to see in their lifetime a purified Somalia. Unfortunately, our hopes for a better, healthier Somalia were soon dashed.

Sadly, by a mere donning of the ghutrah (head-covering) we witnessed former anarchists, murderers, and thugs ushered in as Mujahidiin! It was at this point that people began to wonder about the Courts’ credibility. And it was at this point that I was jolted out of my pleasant anticipations. A rude awakening! And to have thought the Courts were Allah’s gift to the long suffering people of our nation! Cheated and heartbroken, the country once again plunged deep into yet another round of hopelessness. Somalia’s sorrow can not be summed up in a few lines, however, the following lines should give a glimpse of the heartache I personally felt at the realization that ‘the men of God’ were anything but mindful, being as keen for the world as their ignorant counterparts.

Brokenhearted Somalia!

The adversary within

chafes from without

The enemy without

Assails from within.

At the periphery

Brokenhearted

Somalia is once again

Waved in the Souq.

It’s not even a question

Of ‘either this’ or ‘that’

Every Jahil* is imbued

with folklores all of them

Clannish.

Power-lust robed

In whatever costume

Adorns the mounted.

A courteous nightingale

His mate in season

Charms.

Looking her worst

Heartbroken Somalia

Into the limelight

Shortchanged.

Limbs paralyzed

Heartbroken Somalia

Is once again waved;

Sold,

Thrust upon winds

Savoring no change.

There are times

I wish I were

Far removed from

The maddening laughter

Moons away from the moans

Lost to the wiles:

Where tears on my brow

wrestle with the gaping wound

And entertainment is

Possible only by the funeral pyre;

where the ghosts of hell

Gild the killing fields.

There are times I wish

I were a roaring ocean

So as to toss overboard

The scum caught on my sails.

Up till then, my thoughts were tilting towards the bright side, excited for Somalia and for our people: Enthusiasm and hope for the future filled the air, as is clearly evident in these few lines:

Heavenly hug

Happily joins

Cohesive parts

Interwoven needs

Needing no coercion

Heavenly love.

Mercy kissed

Children

Falling in love

With the mother soil

Heaven held.

Nontoxic jokes

No more pokes

Poise in our votes

Freshly doused Flowers

Shimmering, adoring

Falling in love

With the heavenly hold.

Heavenly hug

Happily joins

Cohesive parts

Interwoven needs

Needing no coercion

Heavenly love.

Unfortunately, as gullible folks, including myself, lined the pavements to sing their praises, the Courts lost their head, threw caution to the winds, and thereby lost a golden opportunity.

Somalis have this terrible habit of painting everyone with the same brush, so bear with me when I talk about the ‘Courts’, no doubt some within the ranks were victims of circumstances, others might’ve been oblivious to where the Courts’ priorities lay. The Courts we are concerned with here are the so called ‘Union of Islamic Courts’ who are standing in the way of our nation’s resuscitation, much in the same way the ignorant warlords had done in their day.

The best clothing we learn in the Quran, is that of Taqwa (God-consciousness) now let’s see how the Courts’ head-covering had fared in hapless Somalia, and how that helped unravel all the good the Courts might’ve done up till that point in time:

-By allowing themselves the luxury of being hailed as ‘the-powerful’ the learned Courts forgot themselves. And Allah alone is All Powerful.

-By assuming the title of Islamic Courts when justice was not to be on the agenda for the poor Muslims whose territories were invaded by former killers and ghutra clad thieves.

-By arrogantly breaking promises they made and going back on their word again and again, even though our Deen is built on trust and goodwill.

-By arrogantly appointing themselves as Somalia’s legitimate judges when they themselves had been part of the problem for sixteen long years.

-By arrogantly disdaining the ‘weak’ government and refusing it entry into the capital, as though the capital was the lost property of the Courts alone.

-By disturbing and unsettling the hard earned peace in peaceful areas, and forgetting to their demise, that it was Mogadishu and Mogadishu alone that kept this country apart for so long, and that it was Mogadishu and Mogadishu alone that needed to be tamed.

-By blinding themselves to Mogadishu’s past sins against the nation as a whole, the Courts not only lied to themselves about our recent history but they double crossed our nation.

-Fooling themselves and gullible people around the world into believing that they ‘saved Somalia’, when the opposite was true, and thereby taking credit for something they didn’t do.

I know many will throw tantrums at this, but the Courts brought Ethiopia to Somalia. By their sheer ignorance of world politics (where yesterday’s enemy can soon become a bosom friend and vice versa), the Islamic Courts extended a warm welcome to Meles Zenawi. Far from being God-fearing citizens of the soil, the Courts had forced the hand of a Christian nation to come to the rescue of a Muslim nation.

Whether we like it or not, what Meles Zenawi had done is save us poor Muslims from our Islamic brethren whose main occupation today would’ve amounted to nothing more than flogging s and women in the dirty streets of Somalia, i.e. if Zenawi didn’t come when he did.

If that wasn’t the case then what other plans did the Courts have for Somalia? They had six months of control in the South, but what did they do that wasn’t already done in the North? Ok they brought some semblance of order to an already tired city, but what else did they do with their time and opportunity? They did prosper in the midst of anarchy for sixteen long years; inheriting our nation's capital and the nation's fertile regions while the rest of the country had to start from scratch. Yet, not a word of apology did we hear from the Islamic Courts, nor did they take time off from their lucrative businesses to give a second thought either to the displaced folks of the South or to the nation on whose demise they built their empire.

For the sake of argument, and I know this is not the first time this same subject was raised, but I too would like to ask, if the implementation of the Sharia in Somalia is indeed what the Courts really had in mind for Somalia, then what’s preventing them now from forming an all inclusive Islamic party that represents all Somalis instead of stuffing children in military fatigue?

The Interim Government as we all know is a temporary solution, if the Courts truly are concerned about Somalia, shouldn’t they be in the forefront in seeking a peaceful solution to their nation’s misery? As it is, the Courts have evolved into a huge liability, whose main aim seems to center around mindless destruction. And no where do we see a viable Plan; all we see is exploitation, catastrophic explosions, and brainless brawls on Al Jazeera networks.

In the meantime, as it was the last 16 years, the whole world is laughing at us poor Somalis, throwing crumbs at us and calling us pirates while the real pirates are stealing from our seas and waters in broad daylight. Whilst we flounder in our wretchedness our vast ocean has become a free for all territory for any thief that can put together a fishing boat.

Thanks to our denseness, from International Media to foolish narrow-interest wardens to (Aid Organizations-http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18745786/site/newsweek/page/4/) everyone is having a field day at the expense of our nation. No one, it seems, wants to see a nation called Somalia on the world map again. All the world desires, excepting our good neighbors, it seems, is a wretched territory whose people are scattered far and wide and whose remains can offer entertainment to the world.

I invite the Courts and their misguided mouthpieces to ponder on the above newsweek article (and there are many where that came from) and see what they are doing to their country and people. Let’s face it, we’ve become the day’s wandering Jews, our women and children are begging in the world’s darkest corners, and as we speak they risk and humiliation, just because our people are hell bent on incurring Allah’s wrath; if we haven’t done so already.

It’s most unfortunate, but Somalis in Diaspora are just as guilty, unwittingly, doing exactly what the accursed Satan is best at; arrogance and rebellion, adding to and perpetuating their nation’s misery. And we say Ethiopia is our enemy, while the deadliest Enemy, the most sinister Enemy Somalia has is Somalis themselves. If Somalis were smart people, and if they were bani-Adam (humane) they would put aside their silly differences, that way they would not only be able to get back their rights from their neighbors, but they would be empowered to turn their neighbors into friends, instead of righting them off as eternal enemies (as Africa's enemy would have them do); while, ironically, we (Somalis) are no nearer to each other than the neighbors we are made to hate; plain hypocrisy, isn’t it?

For the benefit of those who blame everyone else but themselves, I say this to you, the only enmity that’s written on rock is the one Allah mentioned in the Quran. Shaitan.

To conclude, believers command the good and forbid the evil, in that capacity, I invite all Somalis, and this is not limited to the Courts, but to all who are involved in bleeding this nation to permanent death, and this must include everyone, active sinner, , and apathetic bystander, I invite you all to stop in your tracks and ponder for a minute what we are throwing away, Allah's support and mercy, that's what we are throwing away. And if we are not careful, He the Almighty has the ability to replace us with people who love Him and whom He loves. And when He intends a thing, it's kun! fa ya ku! Be! And it is!. Make no mistake, hatred for your fellowman has no place in the heart of a believer.

Allah’s Messenger, peace be upon him, said (what means):

'Help your brother whether he is oppressed, or is the oppressor. The companions wondered, 'we understand ya rasululah, how to help our oppressed brother, but how can we help him when he is the oppressor?'

Allah’s Messenger replied: ''Prevent him from wrong doing.''

The above are the author’s thoughts as per today, for the benefit of those who will rush to doubt the author’s sincerity, I invite you all to walk with me the difficult transitions of my journey, from frustration to hope and prayers, and from hope and prayers to frustration and disillusion. For your convenience, I’ve cut and pasted a few writings that I hope will satisfy your curiosity. I ask Allah to forgive me if I over stepped the limits of justice and propriety and pray for peace and prosperity for our people. Wabillahi Tawfiq wal Hidaya.

Safi Abdi

E-Mail:barni12001@yahoo.com

References:

Poem on first fight: Warlords versus Islamists: http://www.authorsden.com/visit/viewpoetry.asp?AuthorID=12449&id=159801

Blog: American deception: http://www.authorsden.com/visit/viewblog.asp?authorid=12449&m=6&y=2006&blogid=15040

Blog: In support of the Islamic Courts: http://www.authorsden.com/visit/viewblog.asp?authorid=12449&m=6&y=2006&blogid=15176

Hope and prayers: Poem: The Hamari embrace: http://www.authorsden.com/visit/viewpoetry.asp?AuthorID=12449&id=162121

Hope and prayers: Poem: Fault me Not http://www.authorsden.com/visit/viewpoetry.asp?AuthorID=12449&id=162116

Hope and prayers: Poem: Heavenly Hug: http://www.authorsden.com/visit/viewpoetry.asp?AuthorID=12449&id=162420

Hope tinged with fears and worries for the motherland: http://www.authorsden.com/visit/viewpoetry.asp?AuthorID=12449&id=162072

Disillusion: http://www.authorsden.com/visit/viewpoetry.asp?AuthorID=12449&id=173356

Disillusion: http://www.authorsden.com/visit/viewpoetry.asp?AuthorID=12449&id=179319

http://www.authorsden.com/visit/viewpoetry.asp?AuthorID=12449&id=181778

http://www.authorsden.com/visit/viewpoetry.asp?AuthorID=12449&id=178002

Khalaf   

Whether we like it or not, what Meles Zenawi had done is save us poor Muslims
from our Islamic brethren whose main occupation today would’ve amounted to nothing more than flogging s and women in the dirty streets of Somalia, i.e.
if Zenawi didn’t come when he did.

May Allah forgive u yaa Saafi. Its very unfrotunate.

Xoogsade   

Despite the efforts made by the writer to come across as sincere in this article, the conclusion many would reach after reading is quite the opposite. Total dishonesty and lack of justice. Plus the nagging question about the motives of someone supposedly pro-islam yet who writes "Whether we like it or not, what Meles Zenawi had done is save us poor Muslims from our Islamic brethren whose main occupation today would’ve amounted to nothing more than floggings and women in the dirty streets of Somalia, i.e. if Zenawi didn’t come when he did."

Many a muslim was brutally murdered both by the Xabashi troops and by US bombardments, a devastating violence was unleashed on muslim somalis which culminated into the installation and empowerment of men with red crimson blood dripping from their hands as presidents and rulers of the decimated, men who are guarded by platoons of clan militias who continue to rob and kill somalis at will was the result of the Ethiopian invasion, yet, the writer portrays all such unislamic realities on the ground as a blessing from God. Nothing more distasteful than that.

People can hide behind prophetic messages only for a short period of time before they lay bare their pernicious secrets, and this article completely exposes an unpleasant reality about people who are blind and bigoted that Allah's blessed words don't make a dent in their heart even though they are utilizing it on a daily basis. How many a man and a woman claim to be honest muslims, with the outward appearance of a good muslim yet support men like A/Y, Qeybdiid, Dheere and all the warlords who came to prominence by killing and pillaging somali muslims. On behalf of these brutal criminals, the pretentious beings insult and attack other muslims who invested their blood to fight these evil men.

Mu'minimada xaal ha qaadato.

Wigad   

She hasn't said what the ethiopians did to the people or the americans instead she praised meles zanaw

Far from being God-fearing citizens of the soil, the Courts had forced the hand of a Christian nation to come to the rescue of a Muslim nation

:confused:

Inaalilaahi wa inaa ileeyhi raajicuun. ilaaheey ha ku soo hauuniyo. waligeey ma maqlin Gaalo muslim gacan ufidineeyso. ayagoo aan ka laheen dano iyaga u gaar ah.

May alaah guide you to the right bath.

NGONGE   

^^ Was the spelling of the word bath an unwitting mistake or an intentional dig? :D

A brilliantly written and emotionally charged piece that throws no light whatsoever on the situation as it stands!

It's sad, possibly wrong and extremely cynical but I don't at all trust anyone that affects an Islamic persona when arguing about everyday issues. Those supporting the Courts may don their ghutrahs and assume an Islamic posture whilst, in reality, having a very slight and distant link with Islam. However, the author herself is not that far from those she criticises; Reading the piece, I can see that she's got her intellectual hijab on and am deafened by her irksome preaching. :(

Never mind though. At least Caamir likes it.

Biixi   

-By allowing themselves the luxury of being hailed as ‘the-powerful’ the learned Courts forgot themselves. And Allah alone is All Powerful.

-By assuming the title of Islamic Courts when justice was not to be on the agenda for the poor Muslims whose territories were invaded by former killers and ghutra clad thieves.

-By arrogantly breaking promises they made and going back on their word again and again, even though our Deen is built on trust and goodwill.

-By arrogantly appointing themselves as Somalia’s legitimate judges when they themselves had been part of the problem for sixteen long years.

-By arrogantly disdaining the ‘weak’ government and refusing it entry into the capital, as though the capital was the lost property of the Courts alone.

-By disturbing and unsettling the hard earned peace in peaceful areas, and forgetting to their demise, that it was Mogadishu and Mogadishu alone that kept this country apart for so long, and that it was Mogadishu and Mogadishu alone that needed to be tamed.

-By blinding themselves to Mogadishu’s past sins against the nation as a whole, the Courts not only lied to themselves about our recent history but they double crossed our nation.

-Fooling themselves and gullible people around the world into believing that they ‘saved Somalia’, when the opposite was true, and thereby taking credit for something they didn’t do

Very good article.

Biixi   

Inaalilaahi wa inaa ileeyhi raajicuun. ilaaheey ha ku soo hauuniyo. waligeey ma maqlin Gaalo muslim gacan ufidineeyso.

Qaxootigeena soo gacan fidin badan gaalo kamaysan helin? Dhib ma laha hadduu gaal ku caawiyo :D

Whether we like it or not, what Meles Zenawi had done is save us poor Muslims from our Islamic brethren whose main occupation today would’ve amounted to nothing more than flogging s and women in the dirty streets of Somalia, i.e. if Zenawi didn’t come when he did.

Cajiib, you know what is even worse, to hear this coming from someone like Safi....I wouldn't mind hearing it from Duke or even Caamir!

Biixi   

I don't see why the name calling and the personal attack...if you can counter her opinion do so without attacking her. Atleast answer her questions!

Let us give blaming others for our own actions a break and came up with an alternative solution for our situation. Let us support our young government.

Walaasheen Safi Cabdi wax badan ayaa ka qaldan. She is misinformed if she thinks Xabashadda are Soomaali's saviors. In loo gafo ma'aha laakiin, especially maadaama ee tahay qof dumar walaasheen ah.

She is a member of this forum. I hope she comes here and defend that piece.

She is also an accomplished author. Give a visit to her homepage.

-Fooling themselves and gullible people around the world into believing that they ‘saved Somalia’, when the opposite was true, and thereby taking credit for something they didn’t do

A great article, more and more Somali's are opening their eyes to the truth. The fakery of the clan courts and the Qas merchant Sharif Xasan in Asmara will not lead us anyhwere.

TFG, TFG, TFG ;)