Sign in to follow this  
nuune

AU should occupy Somalia and rule her for 50 years

nuune   

AU should occupy Somalia and rule her for 50 years

AN EAST AFRICAN PERSPECTIVE

By Jerry Okungu

MY heartfelt condolences must go to those families in Uganda that have lost their loved ones through that senseless killing of innocent Ugandans and other foreigners on a day they were supposed to enjoy a good game of soccer.

Some deranged terrorist in his twisted mind decided to take their lives. My sincere words of comfort must also go to the victims of multiple bombings in Kampala that left them injured and possibly maimed for life.

On behalf of all my friends in Kenya, our prayers are with you as we wish you speedy recovery. Hardly a month has passed since a similar bomb blast hit Nairobi’s Uhuru Park in the dying minutes of a Christian rally on that fateful Sunday. Now, this week, it was the turn of our brothers and sisters in Kampala. What a terrible loss to our region!

Are we being held hostage to barefoot gun-wielding terrorists next door? Why are we allowing this to happen this often? Are we that helpless as partner states of the East African Community?

I have read details of how the Kampala explosions were planned. The terrorists chose crowded venues to inflict maximum damage just like they did in Nairobi. And like in Nairobi, they chose innocent unsuspecting crowds; what one can safely call easy targets.

At the time the last Nairobi bombing took place, my mind raced ahead of my logic. I thought of the al-Shababs or Al-Qaeda. The reason I thought of them was the manner the bombs went off; timed at intervals to suggest that these were not suicide bombers; those daredevils that do not value their lives. These were guys with remote detonators that could very well have planted bombs earlier in their target venues then retreated to their hideouts to execute their heinous crimes.

Though I was a lone ranger, I hypothesized that the latest Nairobi bombings must have been planned and executed by Islamist terrorists; people who hated Christianity to have chosen to attack a Christian gathering. Though farfetched, I thought a Christian rally that attacked the inclusion of the Kadhis’ courts in Kenya’s new constitution could have been the motive.

However, my editor thought I was alarmist since I had no evidence to insinuate such a thing. Now that the same suspects have celebrated the Kampala tragedy, I have these feelings that these are the same thugs that bombed Uhuru Park in Nairobi last month.

After all they have been bombing Nairobi since 1980 almost every other decade only that they have become more frequent. The twin bombings in Nairobi and Dar-es-Salaam in 1998 followed by the Kikambala Hotel in Mombasa are still very fresh in our minds when they then targeted American embassies and Israelis touring Kenya. And in those tragic incidents, their targets suffered the least. Only the locals bore the brunt of this madness.

As a region, East Africa must wake up from its slumber and treat regional and international terrorism as its common enemy. We must begin to jointly operate an anti-terrorism military and intelligence unit to eradicate these misguided thugs from our region.

If Somalia loves terrorism; if Somalia love Al-Qaeida that much; if the al-Shabaabs want to control Somalia, this region has two choices. We invade Somalia and drive these murderers into the sea just like Nyerere did with Idi Amin three decades ago. If that alternative cannot work, then let neighbouring countries do an Israeli act with Somalia.

Let us build a wall to seal off Somalia in the same way Israel has done with Gaza so that terrorists can be confined to Mogadishu where they can annihilate themselves for all we care.

For the two decades that Somalia has been lawless, Kenya has continued to treat its neighbour with kid gloves. We have welcomed refugees from that country and done what has been humanly possible to do to bring sanity to that country. And what have got in return? Instead we have received bombings and more bombings resulting in senseless loss of valuable lives.

Let us face it.

The African Union must concede that Somalia is a failed state. The only way to deal with failed states in this era of international terrorism is to marshal international occupation force and rule that country for at least 50 years as terrorist elements are eliminated one by one.

The reason why I believe terrorists can be eliminated with time is informed by historical events. When Nazi Germany became a rogue state and terrorized the entire Europe, the combined allied forces defeated them and occupied Germany for nearly 50 years. Germany is now one of the most stable democracies in the world.

What we remember the 1970s for as far as world terrorism is concerned is the number of airline hijackings that made global travel one of the scariest undertakings.

In East Africa, we remember vividly how Air France was hijacked by Middle East terrorists that commandeered it to Entebbe. The events following that incident are now common folklore.

If we stand together with resolve, we can wipe out terrorists from our borders. That time is now.

jerry@jerryokungu.com

The New Vision Uganda

Editorial

Africa needs authentic governments, not occupation of Somalia

15 Jul 15, 2010 - 7:08:16 PM

GAROWE ONLINE EDITORIAL | Imperialism – under any pretext – has absolutely no justification and is inherently evil, immoral, and eventually leads to self-destruction.

One reads with disgust at the violent, opportunistic, and immoral call for the African Union to "occupy Somalia and rule her for 50 years" – indeed, the title of an opinion written by Mr. Jerry Okungu and published by Uganda-based New Vision newspaper.

It is more sad and heartbreaking that Mr. Okungu misuses the memory of innocent victims of the July 11 bombings that killed more than 70 people in Kampala, the Ugandan capital. Rightfully, condolences go to the people of Uganda who became victims of a regional war deeply rooted in the 20-year-old conflict raging in Somalia.

Al Shabaab, a Somalia-based militant group with ties to international terror networks, has claimed responsibility for the Kampala bombings. According to militant rhetoric, the bombings were "revenge" for Ugandan troops' presence in Mogadishu, the Somali capital, to support the Western-backed Transitional Federal Government (TFG) of Somalia. Al Shabaab accuses Ugandan soldiers of "massacres" against Somali civilians, a charge the Ugandan government and the African Union deny repeatedly.

There is a real war raging in southern Somalia between the international community, including UN, AU, EU, U.S., and the Al Shabaab militants who are backed by hidden regional powers who are members of and pay lip service to that very same "international community." Indeed, Uganda has been caught squarely in the middle of a long, bitter, winner-takes-all war in Somalia with various international interests colluding and colliding – depending on the ever-shifting alliances on the ground in Somalia. Naturally, every war has consequences.

In Mogadishu, there are daily bombings, indiscriminate shelling of civilian centers, and uprooting of civilians with no end in sight. No one remembers of Mogadishu's dying victims – indeed, the Somali conflict is the world's most forgotten war. Piracy – and, more recently, the Kampala bombings – have brought Somalia back on the international stage as a conflict that needs the world's attention and genuine support to the Somali people.

But to read Mr. Okungu's despicable suggestion that the African Union "occupy Somalia" is a far-fetched, hate-inspired dream. He intentionally misuses the memory of the bombing victims to bring forth his imperialist views; how absurd, a fellow African, calling for a modern-day occupation of another African country for 50 years! How easily we Africans forget the painful torments of yesteryear's colonialism.

Imperialism – under any pretext – has absolutely no justification and is inherently evil, immoral, and eventually leads to self-destruction. Somalia is a sick country and it needs prescription applied in a gentle, caring, and understanding way. Any forceful remedy will be met with an equally forceful reaction – as has been the case with the British and Italian colonizers, both of whom failed to brainwash Somalia, as was successfully done in a number of African countries through cultural imperialism.

The strength of the Somalis was and is the Islamic religion, as Somalis do not feel inferior to Europeans, as is the case with many black Africans. Mr. Okungu, in his delusional mind, forgets or ignores that Uganda is a puppet country playing another man's game of global domination. Indeed, Uganda and Burundi are acting on the orders of non-Africans who seek to deepen the endless conflicts across Africa as a means of maintaining global dominance – no matter who dies, Somali or Ugandan.

It is no secret that the Ugandan soldier deployed in Somalia gets paid higher wage than the Ugandan soldier in Uganda, not by the African Union, but by Western powers bankrolling AMISOM troops in Mogadishu. Furthermore, it is no secret that the Republic of Burundi, which just reemerged from decades of civil war, prefers to have its soldiers in Mogadishu instead of Bujumbura, where their violent tendencies are likely to cause another military coup or return the country back to civil war.

These are the facts on the ground. Mr. Okungu, and like-minded individuals, should not beat up their chests as if they are free men able to make their own decisions. Africa's undemocratic rulers, including Kenyan President Mwai Kibaki who stole an election, remain the key impediment to Africa realizing its full potential, as they are naturally subservient to geopolitical interests – even if it endangers their own countries.

Finally, Africa needs authentic governments, and not suggestions of occupying Somalia. In fact, the less foreign interference there is in Somalia, the better for Somalia and the world as a whole.

Garowe Online Editorial

Comments/Questions/Concerns/Letters to the Editor: editorial@garoweonline.com

Somalia is a member state of the AU, how can one occupy oneself?

Anywho its all rubish, maybe the US or Japan should occupy Somalia and train a new cadre of technocrats to run the country. The facts on the ground have proven that all Somali's are crap at leading and the worst are the hypocritical religios groups of Sharid Ahmed, Al Shabaab fame....

Saalax   

No to Occupation it will ruin somalia further, let the bird fly to it's destiny without interference.

Indeed a failed country but I don’t think an African union occupation can make a difference , there will be just more resistance and more bloodshed unfortunately

Originally posted by General Duke:

Somalia is a member state of the AU, how can one occupy oneself?

Anywho its all rubish, maybe the US or Japan should occupy Somalia and train a new cadre of technocrats to run the country.
The facts on the ground have proven that all Somali's are crap at leading
and the worst are the hypocritical religios groups of Sharid Ahmed, Al Shabaab fame....

Did you just admit that Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed is crap?? :D:D