Sign in to follow this  
Ex-Xisbiga

A Note on My Teachers Group presented by author at Hargeisa U

“A Note on My Teachers’ Group” by Jama Musse Jama was recently presented to the University of Hargeisa students. More than 600 youngsters, including school children from secondary schools and the University of Hargeisa students attended the conference. Prof. Abid Haybe Elmi, the president of the University of Hargeisa opened the ceremony, and members of the UFFO group talked about their experience in Labaatan Jirow prison. Among the UFFO members, Dr. Adan Yusuf Abokor and Mohamed H. Mohamoud Omer-Hashi responded questions raised by the students. The author explained the role of the youth in this book, and launched the idea so that 20th February should be recognized as the Somaliland Youth Day (an official national holyday). uof_presentation.jpg

AYOUB   

A Taste Of Africa-Posted by Yvette Lopez at February 20, 2004 05:22 PM

Notes on my Teacher' Group is a story about UFFO, their arrest and trial written by Jama Musse Jama, one of the students who participated in the protest.

UFFO is Somali word which means the wind before the rain.

In 1980's UFFO was a symbol of change. A young group of doctors, engineers, teachers and intellectuals organized themselves to advocate for the deteriorating condition suffered by the people in this northwestern part of Somalia. They spoke of the neglect and hardships, and launched actions to mobilize the public to improve conditions of hospitals and schools.

The Siad Barre military regime answered by arresting UFFO members, they were sent to prison, some in solitary confinement and sentenced to die. Their arrest triggered anger among youth and students, for them UFFO was a symbol of change, a symbol of hope.

The students passed secret notes and messages to signal the start of the protest. Student leaders from Farah Omar, June 26 and Gaan Liba led the huge number of youth from various secondary schools to march to the District Court of Hargeisa. The mission, to protest against the abduction and arrest of their teachers and UFFO members.

Military forces and prosecutors from the south was brought to Hargeisa to conduct and secure the court hearing.

The detemined masses of students, armed with stones and agitated by the repressive treatment of the government in the South stood their ground. The mobilization was confronted by technicals (military vehicles with artilleries) and armed soldiers. Their protest was met by force, the soldiers open fired targetting youth demonstrators as young as 12 years old. In defense and anger, the students retaliated by throwing stones. Hundreds of them were arrested, beaten, imprisoned and some lost their lives.

This action is highly remembered because it triggered massive resistance against the dictatorship. Men from various clans, fathers, brothers and students themselves started joining the Somali National Movement (SNM) an armed group that was during that time building up forces in Ethiopia.

February 20, 2004

Dhagax Tuur

Dhagax Tuur, is Somali which means stone throwing.

------

They gathered at around eigth in the morning. Banners and flags they painted with their own hands proudly waved in the air. Like any other march, there was the police band tuning their trumpets and horns. The people were not only young leaders and members of SONYO, the only nationwide youth umbrella in the country. Grey haired men also joined the mass up, they were members of UFFO, the first victims of the Siad Barre dictatorship. Led by Mohamed Baroud Ali, (the number one target of the military government during that time, one of the UFFO members who suffered torture and imprisonment in solitary confinement for 8 years) other UFFO members and SONYO leaders stood in front of the District Court of Hargeisa. Together they passed a landmark that serves as a remembrance of the fateful court decision against the UFFO members, together, they prayed in memory of the students who died in that same place 22 years ago. Then, they continued to march proudly in the streets towards the public square.

Mohamed Ali Banfas, a well respected and popular poet, narrated the details of what has transpired, he too participated in that same demonstration 2 decades ago. Ministers from various government departments join the group, leaders of political parties like UCID and KULMIYE's own presidential bet Ahmed Mohamed Siilaanyo were present. They all spoke of the spirit that embraced the country during that time, they all spoke of the courage and the collective strength of the youth that resisted the dictatorship.

"Today marks the day we started our struggle. Its the day when the nation decided to fight against the dictator. This day will always remind us never to join our brothers in the south but to strongly defend our country, Somaliland." Siilanyo said.

Mohamed Hashi Elmi, the Ministry of Trade of Industry spoke not only of the past but also encouraged the people to work hard for the future. He talked about the potential of the country, in areas of fishing, agriculture and industry. "If we work hard, save our money and build these industries it will give a better future for the youth of our country" Elmi noted.

SONYO's National Chairperson Mohamed Hassan Saiid explained the importance of peace to the young generation. "The peace we experience today is valuable for our future. We would not have been here today, celebrating our country, Somaliland if the youth of the past did not take the first step towards change" Saiid said.

Although they come from different political parties and clans, they gather to remember the event when they joined hands and started to fight for their country. Indeed Somaliland hanoolaato! (Long live Somaliland!)

---

Liqaye   

Walaahi, that was one of the most wretched periods in somalia the educated youngsters were arrested for no other reason than their desire to serve their people without fear or favour.

There is a very moving account of one of the survivors contained in the appendix of Jamac ghalibs book " the price of dictatorship", it is an account of life in the infamous Labataan jiirow maximum security prison, and of the whole sordid affair.

In it the writer talks about after so many years of solitary confinment and the brutality of the wardens he was suprised to see how small, frail and wretched one of his former jailers were when he saw him in hargeisa after so many years of considering him a god, i wish that all somalis could have realised that about the siyaad barre system much sooner.

AYOUB   

Liqaye:

There is a very moving account of one of the survivors contained in the appendix of Jamac ghalibs book " the price of dictatorship", it is an account of life in the infamous Labataan jiirow maximum security prison, and of the whole sordid affair.

Heres another account of former inmate of that infamous place:

REMEMBERING THE UNSUNG AND FORGOTTEN HEROES OF LABAATAN JIRROW

Excerpts, from Dr. Mohamed Baarod Ali’s Memoires

There were heavy rains, and the track between Baidoa and Labaatan Jirow Maximum Security was all but impassable. We were blindfolded as we left Baidoa to prevent us from knowing where Labaatan Jirow was. Inside each one of us was taken to cell . The cell was completely empty, 7x7 feet with a hole in the right hand corner. This was toilet since no one would be allowed to go out at all. The walls were unplastered and made of reinforced concrete. There were two successive doors for each cell. The inner floor remained locked at all times and consisted of heavy steel bars. The outer door, which was opened from 7:00 A.M to 4:00 P.M. each day, was one heavy sheet of iron without even a small hole in it. This door was normally closed during punishment periods that were quite frequent because the slightest sound constituted ‘misbehaver’ in the eyes of the soldier.

There were about 150 soldiers outside, equipped with heavy artillery and anti-aircraft guns. All the soldiers, both inside and outside the prison, were members of the military police. The soldiers outside were to protect the prison from attack. There was no custodial corps in Labaatan Jirow. Administratively, the special prison was run direct from the president’s office in Mogadishu. They had wide powers of search, arrest, and interrogation. They also manned all control posts throughout the country, using their powers to extort property from the population. The regime denied the very existence of a prison called Labaatan Jirow. In fact the only people, who have ever seen it apart from Siad Barre himself, were builders, prisoners or the prison administrators. Prisoner’s sketch from memory. We learnt of others who had been there at one time or another between

1981 and 1989.

They included:

Mohamed Yussuf Weyrah, ex-minister of finance

Abdillahi Mohammed Nour, army major

Warsama Ali Farah, ex-mayor of Modadishu who died in prison in 1983

Ali Easa Islam, police inspector

Mohamed Ali Jama, army capt., released in 1984

Mohamoud Islam Abdille, army captains

Ahmed Hashi, army captains

Gaboobeh Abdi Samatar (Iridyambo), army captain

Ahmed Dhore Farah, businessman, still in prison when we left in 1989

Mohamoud Malin, civil servant

Sheikh Mukhtar, lawyer

Yussuf Osman Samatar, in prison since 1968

Hussein Ahmed, an Ethiopian Air Force colonel 1976-still in prison when we left in 1989

On the second day after our arrival, I was given a blanket, an aluminum cup, a plastic plate and a small plastic bucket for water. Everyday each prisoner was given a bucket of water for all purposes such as drinking and ablution before prayers, washing up the utensils and cleaning the toilet. We were not provided with clothes, and ours were taken away. I was left with a T-shirt, a Ma-awis (the traditional Somali cloth wrapped round the lower body) a pair of sandals cut from an old tire, kabo shaag in Somali.

We were given millet gruel for breakfast and boiled rice with a glass of powdered milk for lunch. This was the usual prison fare for the next six and a half years. Only occasionally, perhaps once every three to six months, a goat would be killed, boiled and each prisoner given a tiny piece with his rice. These were ‘feast’ days for us and they would be signaled the day before by the bleat of a goat. The ‘feast’ day’s unusual movement and numbers of crows in the prison compound would confirm itself. A bleat one-day and increased crow activity definitely indicated goat meat. A bleat therefore became a beautiful song to our ears. Every time one of us heard it, whether in the morning, afternoon or in the middle of the night we would immediately transmit the good news to neighbor the delicious part of the goat they would like to get and, in due course, the part actually received.

One comic incident comes into mind. Dr. Osman dreamt one night during a particularly meatless period, that he heard the bleat of a goat. He woke up and transmitted the news to his neighbors. Everybody stayed up the rest of the night discussing the good omen. The next morning, a group of crows chased one of their numbers holding a piece of red meat in its beak. We all saw this. It was more than enough to lift our spirits. We watched the lucky crows with hungry eyes as they flew back and forth playfully. Suddenly the lucky crow released the meat. We all waited for it to fall to the ground. But lucky crow released the meat. We all waited for it to fall to the ground. But no; the ‘meat’ stayed up in the air, floating! The crows kept it playfully in the air; it was a piece of cellophane bag.

Food in all such facilities is the main conversation topic. Even when alone, one daydreams about food. We made many a joke about our yearnings for food. Dr. Osman was asked once by his neighbor through the wall to name his best wish at that particular moment. Without hesitation he said ‘meat’. Only after we asked him about freedom did he laugh and said of course. One became obsessed with food, which was brought in a big barrel pushed on a wheelbarrow. As soon as we heard the noise of the wheelbarrow we literally started to salivate, like Pavlov’s dog, even for millet gruel.

The greatest problem was during the holy month of Ramadan, when Muslims fast from dawn to sunset. We were given food only during the night, to break our fast at six in the evening and 3 o’clock the next morning. The early evening was no problem but at 3 in the morning the soldier violently opened the doors. If you were not ready at the door with your plate, they just locked up the door and that was that. Your next meal would then be fifteen hours later, at six in the evening. We usually solved this problem by assigning one person to stay awake each night. As soon as he heard the noise of the wheelbarrow he would wake up everybody. Even if we got the meal, darkness was a problem in the cell. The soldiers brought hurricane lamps with them, but as soon as they locked up, it was pitch black. With the smell of food came attacks from all quarters-cockroaches, mice and ants. We tried to cover the plate with one hand and eat with the other. The cockroaches were particularly vicious. They would fly from the walls above the toilet and land on your face and plate and refuse to take no for an answer. If you were squeamish you went hungry.

Confronted with poor food, shortage of water, lack of sanitation facilities, immobility, lack of reading material and isolation not only from the rest of the world, but from any fellow prisoners, the first few days in Labaatan Jirow were the most difficult. All contributed to a sense of incomprehension and depression. I tried to get in touch with my friends on either side of me. But as soon as one uttered a word even sotto voce, soldier would be at the doorstep closing the main iron door. There were no warnings given in that prison. Very soon we learned that shouting to each other behind the doors would only bring more punishment. We had to content ourselves with knocking on the wall between the cells when the soldier were not looking even warned not to write anything on the walls. It is literally impossible to desist from scratching something on prison walls in solitary confinement because that is about the only way left to express oneself. But we had to be careful. Obviously my predecessors took their warnings seriously and did not dare to write on the walls. Only much later, while I was sitting on the floor and looking at the walls in front of me, I saw something on the wall. Where the soldiers could not possibly see was EGAL written in capital letters. This was the name of Somalia’s last civilian prime minister much later to be ‘president’ of the Somaliland Republic. He spent 7 years here. The most powerful man in the country had been reduced to writing his name on that corner of the cell to express his protest. I felt for him at that time.

I did see one grim example of protest graffiti in the large cell I shared with 20 friends in Hargeisa’s main prison where we had stayed for 8 months before we were transferred to Labaatan Jirow. On a wall opposite where I slept, clearly written were the names of seven male prisoners, every name apparently written by a different person. Every one added a comment after his name. Most of them wrote the name of somebody they loved.

One had poignantly written "SIYAD BARRE SAYS WE DIE TOMORROW ON THE 28 APRIL 1981 BY FIRING SQUAD-SIYAD BARRE SAYS BUT ALLAH DID NOT SAY.” But for those seven prisoners who signed their names on the wall of that grim prison, as for so many Somalis before and after them, there was no divine intervention. They were shot on the 28th. Now they rest in Allah’s peace. They were all civilians accused of belonging to the Somali Salvation Democratic Front (SSDF), the first opposition movement to fight the Siad Barre regime.

One of the cruelest things was the treatment during illness. Even if they believed you, seeing that you were really in pain, they gave you insufficient doses or the wrong drugs. There was only one old male nurse for health care in the prison. We called him “Doctor No” because his first response was always negative. Later on, when we learnt to communicate with each other through the walls between the cells, we were able to seek advice from the four real doctors amongst us. The doctors advised us to keep asking from the four real doctors amongst us. The doctor advised us to keep asking for drugs, particularly aspirins, sedatives, anti-pain drugs, antibiotics and chloroquinine against malaria and to hoard them even when we were well. This method helped us whenever one of us fell ill and Doctor No would not come to see him or refused to issue medicines.

We were able to pass medicines to each other because we had one exercise period of 10 minutes every three days, excluding Thursdays and Fridays. Exercise periods were taken one person at a time, but if that person had drugs to pass on he would inform the person next to him through the walls who would pass on the information to his neighbor and so on until the person needing the drugs was reached. Medicines would be dropped at a prearranged place for the ill person to pick up during his turn of exercise. The walk took place between two doors 30 meters apart with one soldier at each end. We always dropped drugs near a small shrub halfway between the two doors. However, sometimes we were not given exercise periods for 3 or 4 consecutive months or even more. This usually coincided with periods of tension in the country as we found out later. For example we did not have exercise periods after May 1988 as a result of the war in the North. I have calculated that we came out of the cells during six and half years for only 72 hours. Major health problems were mainly connected with immobility, tension, anxiety, fear, depression, insomnia and poor diet. Most of us suffered psychosomatic ailments and doctor No always succeeded in aggravating these conditions. During our sojourn, two men died due to negligence. One of them, WARSAME ALI FARAH, who was in his seventies, was taken to Mogadishu but died there two days later. According to the official pathological report he died of kidney failure, but there is no doubt that he died of criminal negligence. He had been mayor of the capital city.

One of the detainees who fell very ill had been held since the 1978 coup attempt. ABDILLAHI MOHAMED NOUR had been asking for drugs for six months. On 1 May 1986 he started shouting at the top of his voice. The place was normally dead quiet and we all put our ears against the doors to hear what was happening. He started reciting his autobiography. The authorities closed the outer iron door on him. They came in the night took him shouting Allah! Allah! This continued on and off for about two hours. He never stopped his sporadic shouting until he was released in February 1989. The soldiers never attempted to treat him for his disturbance, as far as we know. When we were released, we found out that he had been badly maimed that night. Sadly, Abdillahi is still mentally disturbed.

Release, when, after many a long year, it eventually came, was as dramatic as the manner of our arrest. One morning in Mid-March, two soldiers followed by the male nurse stopped in front of my cell; and for the first time in six and a half years called me by name. They wanted to know whether I was called Mohamed Barood Ali. I took me a while to comprehend the meaning of the query, before I stammered yes. A cardboard box containing some few clothes was half pushed, half thrown through the bars of the inner door. They left me open-mouthed without saying another word. I could hear them stopping in front of my neighbor’s door and talking to him, although I could not hear what they were saying. Suddenly I was overwhelmed by a thousand thoughts all incoherent and fantastic. About 2 o'clock in the afternoon, soldiers all of them dressed for parade, stopped in front of my door and one of them told me to collect my things. There was nothing I wanted to take from that cell and I started towards the door almost running and breathless. They opened the door and told me to walk. He told me to sit down on a wooden form. I beheld coming through the door my friends, one by one. They all seemed strangers: I had not seen them for six and a half years. At first we said hello to each other as if we had only met a few hours ago. But then someone started laughing hysterically and we all started hugging each other and laughing. We were separated into three groups and put in the back of Land Rovers. We were never sure where we were going but reached Mogadishu after five hours drive. We were immediately taken to the Villa Somalia, Siad Barre's state palace on a hill in the center of Mogadishu. We saw the fabled cheetah royally kept and looked after by a platoon of guards. While waiting to be received at the court of the dictator, we had the first opportunity to speak to each other, because on the way we had been warned that if

anyone uttered a word, he was to be shot. I was generally shocked by the sight of my emaciated friends who were comparable to survivors of a concentration camp. All had aged a lot. The effects of anxiety and solitary confinement were all too visible on all their faces. Some were unusually withdrawn; others laughed hysterically, and yet others exhibited signs of morbid fear and nervously watched the soldiers as if expecting to be attacked at any moment.

General Siad, who usually worked at night, kept us waiting for a long time but we were never bored for a moment. We had so much to say to each other and a rising excitement replaced our usual mood of listlessness and apathy. Finally, when we were summoned into the presence of Siad Barre, we found him seated behind a huge mahogany desk. He was smoking, as always, with an attendant standing one step behind him, holding a packet of cigarettes and a lighter. He appeared much older than I expected, with vacant, tired-looking eyes. There were eight in our group, but Siad ordered Dr. Mohammoud Hassan Tani to remain outside because he was of a different clan than the rest of us. This was typical of the man, who was always exploiting the clan divisions in Somali society to remain in power.

Siad inquired of each of us whether or not we had been guilty of the offenses for which we had been sentenced in 1982, more than seven years previously. But he did not listen or await any response. He started railing away at us, saying that we were traitors (Dr. Mohamoud Tani later revealed to us that Siad had predictably, asked him why he had involved himself with such a group of anti-government subversives as ourselves.) After delivering this monologue, Siad announced that we were pardoned but that we must refrain from getting involved in anti-government activities in the future. He dismissed us by standing up and we were ushered out of his quarters by a group of bodyguards who left us in the middle of the street. We had no money and we did not know where to go. It was about 3 o'clock in the morning.

-------

Dr. Mohamed Baarod Ali, later became a Minister in the newly formed Somaliland government and was responsible for Rehabilitation. Now he is the Head of SORRA.

AYOUB   

April 2, 2010

Mareegta Farshaxan

Taariikhdu waa ma guuraan u baahan hiil joogto ah ,mana waydo cid u heelan.Dalkii la odhan jiray Soomaaliya waxaa ku habsadey dhibaatooyin farabadan.Waxaase tilmaan mudan in dhibtu si gaar ahaaneed u saamaynaysay goboladii woqooyi (iminkana ah wadanka Somaliland).Dhibtaa waxaa ka dhiidhiyey dad badan ooy ka mid ahaayeen dhalintii UFFO.Markii la rabay in qoorta loo

dheereeyana waxaa hiil hagar la’aaneed loogu gargaaray kacdoon ay hogaaminayeen ardeyda oo kaalmo ka helay haweenka.

Maxamed Baaruud Cali oo ka hadlayey ardeydaa ayaa tilmaamey in Ilaahay ka sokow hadaanu

dhicin kacdoonkaasi ay arintoodu si aan wanaagsaneyn ku dhamaan laheyd,waanu u mahadnaqey halgamaagu ardeydaa hageysay kacdoonkaa.

Bahda mareegta Farshaxan oo ka mid ah kuwa u heelan dayactirka iyo kaydinta sooyaalkii bulshada Somaliland ayaa hore u soo gudbisay mid ka mid ah labadii maamule ee markaa dhagaxtuurka, arinta UFFO, iyo bilawgii SNM-taba dhaceen .Wuxuu ahaa Maamule Ibraahin Cabdilaahi Saban ahaana markaa maamulihii dugsiga 26ka juun. Sidaa darteed ayey mareegta

Farshaxan markana xidhiidh la samaysay Maamule Maxamed Muxumed Liibaan oo ahaa maamulaha dugsiga Faarah Oomaar.

Maxamed Muxumed Liibaan wuxuu aad uga sheekeeyey dhibaatooyinkii ku habsadey dalka ee ay keeneen maamuladii rayidka ahaa.Waxaanu sheegay inay ummadu sugaysay isbadal yimaada aadna loo soo dhaweeyey maamulkii askariga ahaa.Hase yeeshee waxaa markiiba uu maamulkaasi

la soo baxey qalfsanaan,dhaqan xumo, diin la’aan iyo shuuciyad indho la’a .Tani waxay ku keensatey bulshadii dhibaato weyn oo dhinac walba ah. Halkii dhibta taala wax laga qaban lahaa

waxaa lagu meeraystay in laga waramo guulihii kacaanka oon dadkaba saameyn ku laheyn. Waxaa kacaankaasi si talo la’aaneed uu ummada ugu hagey ka qaybqaadashada dagaalkii 1977. Waxaa mudan in la sheego in ciidankaasi muujiyey ka hortaga mid ka mid ahaa ciidamada ugu quwada weynaa ee ka jiray Afrika. Si kastaba ha noqotee ciidankii way soo jabeen , lana kulmeen guuldaro aan yareyn.Waxaa dalkii soo galay qaxooti tiro badan oo la marin habaabiyey loona akhriyey khudbadihii kacaanka ee u heelana xusida guulaha kacaanka. Dadkii deganaa dhulalkaa siiba woqooyiga (iminkan ah

wadanka Somaliland) waxaa ku dhacey laba dhibaato kaalmeynta qaxooti war aan sugnayn gosha loo galiyey iyo ciidankii soo jabey.Horaa loo yidhi “ciidan jabani wuu wayracaa”. Labadaa culays ee fuulay dadweynihii ayaa keensadey dhaqaale burbur, nabadgalyo la’aan,iwm.Bulshadii

degaankaasi way xamili wayday culayskan dusha laga saarey.Waxaa markaa dadweynihii la soo gudboonaatey inay isdifaacaan oo ay damqadaan. Dhinaca xukuumadii habaarqabto waxay u

fasiratey oo u sawiratey in woqooyigu doonayo dawladnimo. Waxaa markaa falcelintii dawladaasi noqotey Berbera daad ha qaado,haddii wax ka soo degaana ha lala wareego, toogasho shakhsiyeed iyo waxgaradka bulshada. Dhibaatadaasi waxay saameysay guri walba. Dantii guud ayaa cid u heelan la waayey oo burburtay.Dhakhtaradii iyo dugsiyadii ayaa dayacnaantu dul hoganaysay,mushaharka macalimiinta ayaa goyn waayey baakidh sigaar ah.

Maxamed Muxumed Liibaan markuu sidaa uga soo sheekeeyey dhibtii ku habsatey bulshada ayuu raaciyey : “Aqoonyahanadii u dhashay goboladu waxay arkeen dantii guud oo burburtay, mushaharka la siiyo macalinka oo hal baakidhoo sigaar aan goynayn. Xiisadii jalas la garaacaba

shan ardey baa maqnaa.Xukuumadii jirtayna cadaadiska kordhi mooyee talo kale way wayday. Tani waxay sababtay inay dadku baraarugaan kol haddii dhibtii saamaysay guri kasta si toos ah

ama si dadban ”.

Isagoo Maxamed Muxumed Liibaan ka hadlaya ardeydii dugsigaa dhigan jirtay ayuu xusay in dugsiga markaa ay ku jireen ardey gaadheysa 10 fasal oo mibkiiba ay ku jireen ilaa 70(todobaatan) ardey,Tirobadnidani ardeydu ayaa ku khasabtey macalimiintii iyo maamuluhuba inay shaqeeyaan labada galin, waxaa kaloo joogay markaa tiro dhan ilaa 40 barayaal ah. Waydiinta u baahan warcelinta ee ay bahda mareegta Farshaxan u holatey markan waa ka waranka taariikh nololeedka aqoonyahankan inooga waramayey xaalada dalka.

Maxamed Muxumed Liibaan wuxuu ku dhashay Gabiley 1945kii, kuna barbaaray aagaa. Waxaa magaalada Gabiley laga furay dugsigii ugu horeeyey ee hoose/dhexe gu’gu markuu ahaa 1951kii. Hase yeeshee Maxamed Muxumed Liibaan wuxuu ka mid noqday ardeydii fasalka koowaad 1957kii, waxaa la gali jiray imtixaan ah “entrance”.

Waxaa barigaa oo uu tartan wayni ka dhexeeyey dugsiyadii Dayaxa ,Sheekh , iyo

Camuud.Waxaase tilmaan dheeraad ah laheyd in ardeyga ka mid noqdo kuwa meelaha sare heli jiray la siin jiray gunno dhimid ama bilaashba inuu ku dhigto.Lacag gunno ah (school fee including boarding fee) ayaa laga qaadi jiray ardeyda dhigata dugsiyada xilligaa una sii dheerayd ta cuntada iyo hoygu.

Maxamed Muxumed Liibaan wuxuu ka qalin jabiyey dugsigaa hoose gu’gii1960kii . Ka dibna wuxuu u wareegay dugsigii dhexe ee isla magaaladaa ku yaalay, kana qalin jabiyey gu’gii 1964kii. Xilliyadaa dugsiga hoose wuxuu ahaa saddex gu’ ,halka uu dugsiga dhexena ahaa afar gu’. Marka la dhamaysto todobadaa sanno waxaa banaaneyd in la shaqo tago, in la galo dugsigaa

tababarka, iyo haddii aad heshay dhibco sare imtixaanka in aad ka mid noqoto ardeyda dugsida sare. Inkastoo ay jiraan dad badan oo xiligaa helay darajadii lagu galayey dugsiga sare hase yeeshee iska shaqo tagey oo baananka u shaqo tagey,haddana ardeyda xilligan gashay dugsiga sare

waxaa ka mid ahaa Cismaan Xasan Mire.

Maxamed Muxumed Liibaan wuxuu ku guulaystay inuu helo dhibcihii lagu galayey dugsiga sare. Hase yeeshee isagoo Maxamad Muxumed Liibaan ka dhashay reer balaadhan iyo taladii abtigii ayaa sababtay inaanu galin dugsiga sare ee uu galo dugsigaa tababarka macaliminiinta oo markii hore ahaan jiray hal gu’ ,hase yeeshee xiligaa laga dhigay inuu noqdo saddex gu’ ka dib markii barayaashii ka soo baxay iyo ardeyday wax u dhigayeen aqoon ahaan iyo da’ ahaanba

aad iskugu dhawaadeen, arintiina ay noqotay ardey ardey u dhigaya.

Waxaa barigaa hore la odhan jiray VTC (Vocational Training Center) Camuud, hase yeeshee markan la kordhiyey gu’yaashii waxbarashada waxaa isbadalay magacii madasha waxbarasho oo noqday NTEC (National Training Education Center),waxaana loo qaybkiyey saddexdan qaybood:

-TTC (Teacher’s training center) oo lagu tababari bari jiray macalimiinta.

-Institute : oo aheyd qaybta farsamada gacanta.

-CTC (Clerical training center) oo lagu tababari jiray xog-hayayaasha ,karaanida,iwm.

Waxay xidhiidh la laheyd jaamicada Michigan (affiliated with Michigan University) ee ku taala cariga Maraykanka, siiba gobolka Mishigan.Xiligan waxaa la sameeyey tababar casri ah oo aad loo saaray xilka, sida inaan ardeyga niyad ahaan iyo jidh ahaanba wax loo gaadhsiin, waxaana si heer sare ah loo qalabeeyey loona hawlgaliyey qaybta sayniska .

Wuxuu Maxamuud ku sugnaa halkaa muddada u dhaxeysay 1964 kii

– 1967kii.

Maxamuud Maxamed Liibaan markuu dhameeyey NTEC, waxaa lagu qoray inuu macalin ka ahaado dugsiga hablaha ee shacabka (sha’ab girls schools). Ardeyda halkaa wax ku baraneysayna waxaa ka mid ahaa Amran , xaaska Axmed Yoonis Habane ,Sahra Kiin ,Nuural Huda,iwm.

Dabayaaqadii 1968kii wuxuu codsadey in loo badalo dugsiga Qalax ee ku yaala Gabiley.Xiligan waxaa la badalay dugsigii hoos/dhexe ee lagaga bixi jiray 7 sanno laguna daray hal sanno oo kale,isagoo markaa noqday isku dar ahaan sideed sanno . Ardeydii ugu horaysay ee uu Maxamed Muxumed Liibaan uu kaga saaray sideeda gu’ waxaa ugu horeeyey Enjineer Xasan Jaamac Diiriye oo iminka ka shaqeeya gobolada Gabiley iyo Awdal iyo Dr.Maxamed Yuusuf oo ku

sugan dhakhtarka gobolka Gabiley. Dr.Muuse Qaasim , Subagle, Axmed Casoowe.

1970kii waxaa kacaankii dalka afganbiyey ee ina Siyaad furay xaruntii Xalane oo barigaa la odhan jiray Bootiko si loo kacaameeyo aqoonyahanka ummada laguna bilaabay barayaashii xiligaa oo dhanaa ilaa 830 bare .Maxamed Muxumed Liibaan wuxuu ka mid noqday barayaashaa loo xareeyey si loo sugo inay la jaanqaadi karaan tilmaamaha hantiwadaaga dalka dhex mushaaxayey barigaa . Xilligan waxaa xilka haysay dawladii habaarqabto oo dadku ka filayeen isbadal hase yeeshee bilawday dagaal bulsheed .Hormoodkii ummada waa la xidhxidhay, dasturkiina waa la laalay axsaabti siyaasadana waa la baa’biyay, barlamaankiina waa lakala diray, halka koox ka mid ah kuwii afganbiga la sameeyey dawladan askariga ah qoorta loo dheereeyey oo dil toogasho ah lagu hubsadey, qaarna jeelasha dalka lagu guray sidaana waxaa 6diiMay 1971kii Radio

Muqdsiho si lama filaana uga hadlay Xogahaya Wasaaradda Warfaafinta & Hanuuninta Dadweynaha: Gaashaanle Dhexe : Ismaaciil Cali Obokor1

Wuxuuna shaaca ka qaaday in la qabtay oo xabsiga loo taxaabay sarakiishan kala ah:

1. S/Guuto. Salaad Gabeyre Kediye

2. S/Guuto. Maxamed Caynaanshe Guuleed

3. G/Sare. Cabdulqaadir Maxamed Guuleed ( dheel-dheel )

Iyadoo saddexdan sarkaal lagu xukumay diltoogasho ah dii July 1970kii,waxaana lagu toogtay fagaaraha Dugsiga sare ee Booliska Xamar jajab Muqdsiho.

--------------------------------------

1 Muddo yar dabadeed Xoghayaashii hore ee la magacaabay ayaa qaarkoodna xilka laga qaadey qaarkoodna jagooyin

cusub loo magacaabay, jagadan waxaa laga qaadey Maxamed Jaamac Axmed

AYOUB   

Halkan waxaa xusid mudan in mar walba ay jiraan dad dhiiran oon xilka la siiyey iskaga taga hadaanu ku dhisnayn danta ummada, xukuumadii habaarqabto ee 1969kii wasiiradii ay magacawday may ka dhiidhiyin falalkii xumaa, dadkuse kala indhadheeree 12dii July 1970kii waxaa xilkii xoghayenimo(wasiirnimo) ka digorogtay dhawr ka dib markii xukunkii milatari doonay inuu manhajka waxbarasho wax ka badlo .Waxaana ka mid ahaa kuwaa dareemay xumaanta Xasan Cali Mire oo ahaa Xoghayihii Wasaarada Waxbarashada iyo Barbaarinta oo lagu badalay Gaashaanle Cabdirisaaq Maxamed Abokor.

Bal dib aan u celino giraanta taariikhda dalka, sooyaalka bulshadeenu wuxuu sugayaa in Maxamuud Axmed Cali oo kormeer hawleed ku maraya dugsiyada uu soo maray Cabdirisaaq Maxamed Abokor oo ahaa barre dayaan kuna dhex jira dhigistiicasharka. Waxaa maalintaa Maxamuud Axmed Cali u cuntami wayday heerka waxbarasho ee Cabdirasaaq oo aad u liidatay iyadoo waliba hab gudbintuna laheyd dhaliilo badan .Sidaa darteed wuxuu go’aan ku gaadhey in uu shaqada ka fadhiisiyo. Muddo ka dib ayaa Cabdirisaaq Xaaji Xuseen oo ay isku dhawaayeen reer ahaan uu u diray kuliyada caskariga ah ee Qaahira kol hadduu aqoontii meel laga soo galiyaa ay muuqan wayday. Waxaa maanka ardeydii barigaaa ku sii hadhey qaabka loo xasuusan jiray Cabdirisaaq Maxamed Abokor oo aheyd in lahu timaansado qalinduure la qabsan waayey sabuurada isticmaalkeeda una qoray si gudban (diagonal). Waxaa kalo xusid mudan in mar uu Cabdirisaaq Maxamed Abokor oo ahaa wasiirkii waxbarashadu booqasho ku yimid dugsiga sare ee Faarax Oomaar kuna yaala magaalada Hargeysa uuna soo galay fasal (Chemistry lab) ay ardey ku jiraan, waxaanu fahmi waayey qaabka uu ahaa fasalkaasi iyo qalabka yaalay kuna dhawaaqay oo “meeshan maxaa lagu bartaaa”, isagoo sii wata kormeerkaa hawleed ayuu u gudbay dugsiga sare ee Camuud uunaarkay qaab dhaqameedka ardeydaa oo aad uga duwanaa xeryihii ciidamada milatariga markuu sarkaal yimaado kuna yidhi “oo idinku kacaanka lama socotaanbee waa sidee” . Wuxuu u sii gaalabixiyey safarkiisii magaalada Sheekh. Hase yeeshee waxaa xusid mudan in uu gaadhay magaalada Xamar maalin Jimce ah oo la sii dayn jiray barnaamij dhamaan gobolada oo dhan laga dhageysan jiray si toos ahna u bixi jiray oo lagu casuumay waxaana hadadaladiisii ka mid ahaa “gobolada woqooyi dalka intiisa kale waxay ka horeeyaan 10 gu’ oo waxbarasho ah ee waa in muddo laba gu’ah gudahood lagu soo gaadhaa”.

Faraska aan hakiyoon xakamaha ku giijiyo si aan ugu noqono ka warankii Maxamad Muxumed Liibaan. Waxaa halkaa Maxamad Muxumed Liibaan xilligaa Bootiko Kula jiray oo lagu barayey sidii loola jaanqaadi lahaa hatiwadaaga “cilmiga” ku dhisan barayaasha ay ka mid ahaayeen:

-Cabdi Askar

-Axmed Cabdilaahi Jeex

-Colaad Geele Colaad

-Ibraahin Cabdilaahi Saban

-Cali Jaamac Qalinle

-Maxamed Mooge Liibaan (Halgamaagii, hobolkii , halyeygii Ilaahay ha u naxariisto)

Waxaa waqtigaa oo barayaasha niyad jab wayni ku dhacay, ka duwanaa barre Cali Daruur oo isagu

tiriyey maanso af carbeed aheyd oo uu ku amaanayo edeggan barayaasha lagu ooday aanay ku

jirtay :

Bootiko yaa inbu xanuun (Bootiko xaruntii daryeelka)

Xilligan si ay barayaashaashu u muujiyaan dareenkooga waxaa si kadis ah ku bilaabantay maanso

tuducyadeeda barayaashii halkaa ku xeraysnaa iyo dadkii magaalada Xamar deganaaba ka qayb

qaateen oo lagu tilmaamo inay kor u dhaaftey sagaashan tuduc.Waxaase Inta badan tuducyadaa ku

luuqeeyey aqoonyahankii, halgamaagii iyo hobolkii Maxamed Mooge Liibaan (IHUN).Waxaana

erayadeeda ka mid ahaa:

-Amar dhacay haddaad Aaminaay igala ooyayso

-Ma ogtahay abkay macalin bay eddeg ku oodeene

-Ma ogtahay arooryada hore Ayaan orad bilaabaayee

-Ma ogtahay anfacada aan cuno Ma laha iidaanee

-Ma ogtahay indiyaan awshankaan ayaan ku wareegaaye

-Ma ogtahay ardey oo idil oodaa lo rogayee

-Ma ogtahay askari jaahilaan Amar ka qaataaye

-Ma ogtahay waxaan eersadaa odayga weeyaanee..

Waxaa si marag ma doon ah ay barayaashaasi iskugu raacsanaayeen in ay xaruntaa bootikoXalane CPR- dhagahii ,maskaxdii iyo qalbgiiba aqoonyahankaa ka madoobaysay .

Lacagtii oo ururtay ayaa la gudoonsiiyey barayaashiii,maalmihii fasax(weekend) ayey fursad u heleen ay suuqa ku tagaan .Iyadoo dhalinyaro loo badnaa ayaan fasaxaa wanaag lagala kulmin ee

dhibi ka soo gaadhay magaaladii lana wargaliyey wasiirkii waxbarashada Cabdirisaaq oo isna

amar ku siiyey General Madoobe oo xerada hormood ka ahaa inaan mar danbe loo ogolaan

ardeyda inay magaalada u baxaan helaana fasaxaa ..

Erayada maalintaa la hadal dheegay waxaa ka mid ahaa :

Garab saar oo mid mid ah mida hore saar

Laguna badalay gaaweeto gaaweeto saar oo mid mid ah mida hore saar..

AYOUB   

Galab gaaban oo ay barrayaashuu u diyaar garoobayeen inay magaalada u baxaan ayuu General

Madoobe iskugu yeedhay una sheegay inaanu jirin fasax danbe hase yeeshee cod kor u qaadan

ayaa ka soo baxey. Barayaashii mid ka mid ah ayaa ku dhawaaqey “dib u jeeso , hore u soco”

Waxay markan fooda saareen magaaladii joogsana lama maqal. Sidaasaa maalintaa lagu jabiyey..

xeerkii la rabay in la fuliyo ee fasax joojinta ahaa. Arinkii wuxuu gaadhay ilaa maamulkii sare oo

uu ka mid yahay habaarqabe ina Siyaad, sidoo kale waxaa soo gaadhay maansadii oo ilaa boqol

tudub maraysa sidii ruuxba in ugu darayey oo ilaa dadkii Xamar deganaa ka qayb qaateen .

Warbixinta qaab waydiimeed u dhignaa ee waqtigaa Loogu deeqay Ina Siyaad waxaa ka mid ahaa

inuu waligii arkay saajin kuu tababaray iyo kuu sii tababaray meel la iskugu keeno ooy isku darajo

yihiin mushahar isku mid ahna wada qaataan , waxaanu ku jawaabay maya loona celiyey inay

halkan ku jiraan saddex macalin oo midba mid macalin u sii ahaa.Wuxuu maalintaa ku dhawaaqey

ina Siyaad:

-in mushaharka barayaasha loo kordhiyo.

-in loo ogolaado barayaashu inay gali karaan jaamicada haddey ku gudbaan imtixaanka.

Barayaashaasi uu Maxamed Muxumed Liibaan ka mid ahaa waxay halkaa ku sugnaayeen muddo

lix bilood aheyd kuna beegnayd ilaa dabayaaqadii 1971

kii

Aqoonyahanka Maxamed Rashiid .

Sh.Xasan ahna gudoomiye ku xigeenka xisbiga UCID oo dugisgaa ka waramyey ayaa sheegay

sidan:

“In the early years, civil servants, including ambassadors and students after they finished

secondary schools, were sent to a military orientation camp Halane situated at the outskirts of the capital. In Halane, they were given basic military training and ideological seminars for six months.

The regime considered these as socialist lessons to brainwash them out of what the regime

described as the past imperialist and capitalist values. In reality the training was a screening

operation to identify people as supporters of the so-called revolution "Kacaan”, and those who

were regarded as anti-revolution “kacaan diid". At the end of the training a personal report was

compiled on each person and this file was kept by the regime to be used anytime it desired. The

program also had another objective: it was designed to humiliate educated people and bring them

under military psychological control. Any civil servant who questioned or refused to go to this

orientation military camp was suspended immediately, and he or she might be sent into prison for

refusing to be a part of a national program. These programs were typical of Stalinist style of

dehumanization of the educated”.

Markuu ka soo baxey aqoon korodhsigaa kacaameysan ayaa 1972kii uu maxamuud barre ka noqday magaalada Boorama.Hase yeeshee dabayaaqadii gu’gii 1972kii ayaa loo fadhiistay imtixaankii jaamicada Lafoole uuna ku ku guuleystay ka mid noqoshada ardeydii ay xilligaa qaadatey jaamicadaasi.Wuxuu halkaa dhameystay horaantii 1976 ,kuna bartay culuunta sayniska oo takhasuskiisu ahaa Bio -Chemist,waxaana barre ahaan Loogu qoray dugsiga 1da July ee ku yaala magaalada Hargeysa (waa halka iminka Jaaamicada Hargeysii ku taalee).

Hase yeeshee isla dabayaaqadii gu’gaa 1976kii ayaa loo badaley inuu barre ka no-do dugsiga sare

ee Timacade oo uu 1978-1979kii uu ka noqdey maamule. Mar labaad ayaa loo soo badaley

magaalada Hargeysa uuna maamule ka noqdey dugsiga Faarax Oomaar oo ku sugnaa ilaa

dabayaaqadii 1984kii Xilligan waxaa xadhkaha goostey cadhadii iyo gadoodkii xaq u dirirkii ay hogaanka u hayeen dhalinyarada. Waxaa magaalada Hargeysa gilgilay dhacdadii dhalinyaradii UFFO, waxaa wacdaro dhaliyey dhagaxtuurkii ardeydii, waxaa xoogeystay ururkii SNM oo hawlgalo badan

fuliyey. Dawladii xilligaasi waxay xal u aragtay in maamulayaasha dugsiyada sare ee magaalada Hargeysa oo markaa reer woqooyi ahaa laga badalo :

-Faarax Oomaar waxaa joogay Maxamuud Maxamed Liibaan

-26ka Juun waxaa joogay Ibraahin

-Gacan Libaax waxaa joogay Muuse Axmed “Musse Madoobe”.

-Maxamuud Axmed Cali waxaa joogay Cabdi Cabaade .

Markay dhacday arintaasi , Maxamed Muxumed Liibaan wuxuu tagey Xamar oo berigaa aheyd

meesha kaliya ee talo ka go’i karto,loona baxsan karo.Waxaa markaa loo soo magacaabey inuu

noqdo kormeere,kana hawlgalo magaalada Hargeysa ee uu markii horeba joogay. Aroor hore oo

aheyd bisha May 25, 1985 kii ayaa koox ka socotay nabad sugidii ugu tagtay gurigiisa, albaabka horena xoog ku soo jabiyeen .Hase yeeshee wuxuu Maxamed array inaaney usku dhiibidi haboonayn si wanaagsan abanu ula hadlay isagoo u sheegay inuu guriga wax ka soo qaadanayo,waxaanu ka baxey albaabka danbe. Socdaal dheer oo rafaad badan lahaa qaateyna muddo dheer dabadeed wuxuu gaadhey magaalada Jabuuti ee dalka Jamhuuriyada Jabuuti. Bishii Luulyo horaanteedii,gu’gii 1985 kii ayey ogolaatay hay’ada qaxootigu inay ku qaabisho Jabuuti,ka dib markay warbixin ka heshay xafiiskeedii ku yaalay magaalad Hargeysa, kuna sheegay in maydkiisii la raadinayey ee haddii aad nolol ku hesheen ku faroadeyga. Si nabadgalyadiisa loo sugo ayaa bishii Luulyo dabayaaqadeedii, gu’gii 1986 kii wuxuu noqday.

dadkii ugu horeeyey ee ay hay’addi dalka ka saarto siisana dajin dalka Canada oo uu ilaa

iminka degan yahay . Wuxuu leeyahay toban caruur ah oo laba hablo yihiin sideedna wiilal yihiin, Wuxuu awoow u yahay ilaa saddex caruur ah.

Ardeyda uu wax barey waxaan ka tilmaami karnaa kuwan oo runtii iminka nolosha meelo sarsare ka gaadhey:

Dugsiga Faarax Oomaar ee Hargeysa :

Ismaaciil Maxamed Jaamac, Jaamac Muuse Jaamac , Cabdirisaaq Sh.Abuubaker, Jamaal Cali

Xuseen , Kaltuun Xaaji Daahir (former first lady of Somaliland), Ismaaciil Maxamed Jaamac, Cali

Ducaale, Mustafe Aw Aadan Cabdale ,Xamze Muuse Yuusuf,iwm.

Dusiga Timacadde ee Gabiley :

Dr.Maxamed Yuusuf , Engineer Xasan Jaamac Diiriye, Dr.Muuse Qaasim, Dr.Maxamed Xaashi Abiib, Dr. Aadan Ismaaciil (ina Beergeele), Dr.Maxamed Cali Faarax ,Engineer Cabdikariim Xaashi Abiib , Engineer Cabdilaahi Xaashi Abiib, Engineer Maxamed Cilmi Aboor ( Dr.Aboor) IHUN, , Axmed Ismaaciil Casoowe, Prof. Maxamed Axmed Sh.Muuse(Shaadh Gaan ),Dr.Siciid Muxumed Maax , Maxamed Cali Gacan –MBA-,

Tixraac:

-Qoraalka “1969 Military Coup In Somalia ”

Dr.Maxamed-Rashiid Sh.Xasan

- “Taxanaha Maansooyinka Siinley”

Fu,aad Sh.Abuubaker (Bahda Mareegta Farshaxan)

-Wareysi lala yeeshay Maxamed Muxumed Liibaan

Fu,aad Sh.Abuubaker (Bahda Mareegta Farshaxan)

Wixii talo,tusaale iyo tilmaanba ah u soo gudbo xubnaha mareegta Farshaxan

(somaliland@farshaxan.com)

Qalinkii :

Fu,aad Sh.Abuubaker

Bahda Mareegta Farshaxan

http://www.farshaxan.com

AYOUB   

Taleexi;694827 wrote:
Monolithic view of Somalis' recent history indeed but still a dark chapter of our history!

I know exactly what you mean because what prompted me to revive this topic was someone who wrote "we wish we had a dictatorship to revolt against". Just wanted to remind some folks that we DID have a dictator. When some of his citizens decided volunteering and creating peaceful "self-help organisations" to overcome the harsh consequences of his policies, they were arrested. When young people protested against the arrests, they were massacred by the ill-educated soldiers. So there was a comparison with the events in Egypt, the difference being the actions of the soldiers who were sent out by the dictator. A lot of people have also spoken and written about the comparison between Mengistu and Gen. Barre's last days. The Ethio dictator flew out of unscathed capital - on a national airliner and returned it , while the other was chased out leaving chaos and destruction as he vowed as would.

But that's all one side of story with 3 sides. Feel free to give us your side of "dark chapter of our history" because that's what I'm here for.:)

Labaatan Jirow and Laanta Buur were part of the dark and sad history ours, one can forgive, but shouldn't forget. May God bless those souls who perished in them dungeons.

A_Khadar   
True and indeed that was a tragic and dark history, but that same history is repeating itself as we speak. People in their homes and herding their camels were abducted and called POW and now they are in Mandhere without life basics, such as adequate food and medical. Stop being hypocrite waryaa if you sincere, stand against all violation of human right rather being selective to your clan only. Stop supporting s/l aggression day in day out here and else where.

A_Khadar, I would assume your comments above is directed at SL crew here and not at me. That been said, my remarks wereare just personal and reflects on me. Besides, those dungeons were "part" of the our dark history just as Mandhere and similar prisons are the continuation of the never ending saga of what it's Somalia.

A_Khadar   
Your right Gheelle, it was directed to those s/l die hearts who play different cards in different aspects of this dark history of Somalis, this time playing victim card and other threads applauding and supporting their militia for murdering, prisoning and displacing others. That is a shame!

Taleexi   

Kuwa Kalshaale, Widhwidh, buuhoodle iyo Laascaanood aad ku xasuuqdeen maxaynu iyana Illaahay u waydiinaa? Alla dhibta ha u sii siyaadiyo baad odhan lahayd illeyn cadaaladaadaan aqaanaaye!