Sign in to follow this  
dhulQarnayn

A Rock and a Hard Place- An Alternative Vision for Somalia

Albert Einstein once said; “We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” Somalia is indeed caught up in between a rock and a hard place! The TFG's warlord brigands and the hell hounds from Al-shabab have exarcebated the civil war in our nation into an abyss of mayhem and disorder. Virtually every Somali should know that, neither one of these groups will succeed in their violently demented dictatorial vision. Only a third alternative which encompasses all Somalis from all walks of life and that puts a great emphasis on the pursuit of lasting political stability through non-violence will bring about an end to our civil strife.

The feasibility of this third alternative ever materialising depends on whether Somalis will finally confront the enemy from within- the "boogie man" inside us all and some how find a way to share power peacefully and amicably. Even if the Ethiopian forces where to get expelled or the Al-Shabab got defeated; we Somalis, still have to confront our cancerous tribal enmities that have usurped our national identity and jeopardized our future.

I know that Somali tribalism (which is the root of all evil in Somalia) did not spring up overnight and I believe in my judgement there is no quick fix to this problem. However, I have a plan that offers the possibility, not the guarantee, of stability in Somalia.

It is based on the reality that the tribes of Somalia are not ready to entrust their fates to each other, henceforth I posit that we cantonize our country. We allow each warring clan breathing room in regions, with local control over the fabric of their daily lives – security, education, health care, jobs – a sort of decentralisation as Somalia's new constitution calls for.

Decentralisation is described as the "transfer of responsibilities for planning, management, and the raising and allocation of resources from the central government and its agencies to field units of the central government, semi-autonomous public authorities, regional authorities, or non-governmental, private or voluntary organisation".

Now some of you are probably thinking...well isn't the TFG trying to do this? No my friends, the TFG pays lip service to the idea of federalism.If federalism is the main objective of the TFG, then it's unwise to appoint un-elected governors to regions where they don't have local support. True federalism includes the devolution of power to the grassroots and leads to the formation of “local-level” governments. A truly limited central government which would be in charge of common concerns only is our last, best hope to find lasting peace and stability for our nation.

If the TFG hopes to survive, it must (besides distancing itself from Ethiopian forces and the brigand warlords) create the "enabling conditions" that allow local units of administration to take on more responsibilities.

Competent central institutions of governance must be erected that develop appropriate and effective national policies and regulations for decentralization and strengthening local institutional capacity to assume responsibility for new functions.

To reiterate, it is important to stress the significanance of decentralisation for a minimum level of political stability and national cohesion.

All Somalis, fed up with the death match between the TFG and Shabab should seek an alternative to the chaos and refocus their efforts on making federalism work for all Somalis – at least that is the view I strongly hold.

No one can want peace and stability for Somalia more than the Somali people. It is up to us to bring power and responsibility down to the local level and ensure Somalia's future by building our country from the grassroots. I would urge the the U.N., major countries and Somalia's neighbors or at least those that care about Somalia's future to help implement and oversee the political vision I’m proposing.

Fabregas   

In some of the places the TFG and Ethiopians have been kicked out from, the people are starting to make their own " madani" troops( seperate from the ICU). So perhaps what you advocate is already happening? :D