Sign in to follow this  
codetalker

EU backs Somalia leadership, pledges more aid

BRUSSELS, March 28 (Reuters) - The European Commission signed a pact giving political recognition to Somalia's interim government on Tuesday and pledged more aid to the war-weary Horn of Africa nation, hit by fresh violence in recent days.

The signing of a "memorandum of understanding" with Somali leaders is an attempt by the European Union executive to encourage EU states and others to recognise the government after last month's opening of an interim parliament on home soil.

Read more @ Reuters

Good news indeed...

EU backs Somalia leadership, pledges more aid

Posted to the Web Mar 28, 20:10

BRUSSELS, March 28 (Reuters) - The European Commission signed a pact giving political recognition to Somalia's interim government on Tuesday and pledged more aid to the war-weary Horn of Africa nation, hit by fresh violence in recent days.

The signing of a "memorandum of understanding" with Somali leaders is an attempt by the European Union executive to encourage EU states and others to recognise the government after last month's opening of an interim parliament on home soil.

"I gave assurances of moral, political and material support," European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso said after the signing of the memorandum with Somali President Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed and Prime Minister Mohamed Ali Gedi.

Barroso said the Commission would next month urge EU states to release a further 70 million euros ($84 million) in assistance to Somalia on top of the 200 million euros it has already granted, mainly through United Nations agencies.

"This is a historic event which marked Somalia's aspirations to the community of nations after 15 years of civil strife," Gedi told a joint news conference with Barroso.

EU Development Commissioner Louis Michel said the pact would make it easier for the EU to channel aid to Somalia, adding he would visit the country in May to study potential aid projects.

Somalia's new parliament opened in February in the southern city of Baidoa, the 14th attempt to restore government since warlords ousted dictator Mohamed Siad Barre in 1991.

The capital Mogadishu saw its fiercest fighting for years in recent days as militiamen linked to Islamic courts battled with the city's most powerful warlords.

Militia leaders said on Monday a ceasefire was in place after four days of fighting claimed between 70 and 90 lives.

Gedi called for calm but added: "Still it is not quiet so anything can happen."

Source: Reuters

Midowga Yurub oo 85 milyan oo doolar ugu deeqay DFKMG ah

Brussels- 28.March.2006 Madaxweynaha iyo Ra’isalwasaaraha DFKMG ah ee Soomaaliya C/llaahi Yuusuf Axmed & Prof. Cali Maxamed Geeddi ayaa maanta

magaalada Brussels ee xarunta Midowga Yurub ku saxiixay heshiis malaayaanin doolar lagu siinayo Soomaaliya.

Heshiiskan ayaa wuxuu dhigayaa in 85 milyan oo doolar Mareykanka la siiyo DFKMG ah ee Soomaaliya iyadoo heshiiskan ay qalina ku duugeen Madaxa Midowga Yurub Jose Manual Bros iyo Madaxweynaha iyo Ra’isalwasaaraha DFKMG C/laahi Yuusuf Axmed iyo Cali Max’ed Geedi.

Shir jaraa’id oo ay ku qabteey Xarunta Midowga Yurub ee Brussels madaxdii heshiiskan saxiixdey ayaa Jose Manual Bros wuxuu ku tilmaamey heshiiskan mid Midowga Yurub uu ku doonayo in laga miro dhaliyo dib u heshiisinta Soomaliya iyo waliba dadaalka beesha caalamku ugu jirto dib u dhiska Soomaaliya.

Jose Manual Bros wuxuu farta ku fiiqey in kaalmada midowga Yurub ay door weyn ka ciyaari doonto sidii DFKMG ah ee Soomaaliya ugu suurtagali laheyd inay dib u soo celiso xasiloonidii iyo kala dambeyntii Soomaaliya ee mudada 15-ka sano maqneyd.

Ninka midowga Yurub u qaabilsan horumarinta Luwis Micheal oo isna ka hadley munaasabadii lagu shaacinayey heshiiska wuxuu kaga dhawaaqey in uu booqan doono dalka Soomaaliya gaar ahaan magaalada Baydhabo oo iminka ay ku sugan yihiin xildhibaanada Baarlamanka KMG ah ee Soomaaliya, waxaana intaasi uu ku darey Luwis Micheal in bisha May uu imaan doono magaalada Baydhabo ee xarunta Gobolka Baay.

Layla Soomaali

SBC Brussels

Jaylaani   

What are the conditions? You know they’re not just gonna give many with a warlord who has no control of any part of the country.

^^^

capt.bru11103281512.belgium_eu_somalia_bHead of the Somali-lands & the head of the EU[NICE]

Its a wonderful step Mr Oodweyn even you know there has been no Somali leader who has had such a reception from such a powerful institution..

Things take time but at last the TFG is getting the recognition it deserves. The AU, Arab League and now the EU not bad indeed.. :D

Jaylani are you fooling yourslef again dear lad?, who mislead you Abdullahi's supporters are in Toghdeer dear boy forget the rest of the country.

Puntland alone gives him more terrotery than any leader since Mr Barre, so chill, let things take their course..

Suldanka unlike last time I am smiling now why dont you comment on my happiness dude..

Jaylaani   

^^^Waar wuxuu muxuu leeyahay. Waar miyaad yara suuxdaa horta.

Yey's Supporters are in Togdheer kuye.

BTW, I thought the dude was the “president†of Somalia? Whuz up with him and these Puntland crab you're keep talking about?

Bal saaxiib dhinacuun iskugu baydha.

^^^ LOL, and all the time I thought I was talking to a well informed individual.

Lets get back to basics shall we.

Puntland state covers roughly 40% of the Somali republic and including the Cayn[buhudle] former Togdheer. Dont mix things up Puntland is part and parcel of Somalia. So when you utter nonsence like "Yey has no support in Somalia" Remember that fact. Not forgeting that members of the TFG are right now in Cadaado, Kismayu, Baidoa, even Mogadishu things are looking up.

I forgot you dont have much knowledge about the Somali republics map. Hint it is a big country outside Berbera-Burco-Hargaysa traingle..

Jaylaani   

ALLAW YAA HABEEN KUDHA

UURKAAGA QALOO

Listen buddy adigoo gud cur gudayaad aniga misinformed igu sheegtay. Waana cajiib. Waxaan kugula talin lahaa inaadf kalgacalkaagan yarii xiisa dumarka ku fadhiyaa aad raga kal dhex baxdo.

Fact: H.a.weye warlords don’t even wanna govern themselves right now (they are enjoying the wealth they never had before) let alone having their most hated rival (yey) as the president of Somalia.

Fact: Yey was only elected as a scapegoat by simply telling the world “IT ISN’T ALL H.A.WEY’S FAULT. WE GAVE OTHER SOMALI TRIBES A CHANCE AND THEY BLEW IT TOO).

Fact: Yey’s people were always on the wrong side of the equation by sabotaging Somali interest including the assassination of Cabdi Rashiid (RIP) and the war against Ethiopia in 1977.

I didn’t wanna go there but you need to hear the truth and shut the h.ell up some times.

BTW, I didn't read your post. They all sound teh same

Thankful   

General Duke bro

I find it interesting how adamantly you support Abdulahi Yusuf and rarely if ever, criticize him. You speak of Cade and his corruption and the problems facing Puntland (which are nothing compared to the reign of Abdulahi Yusuf). Yet, you are supporting a man (Yey) who has blood on his hands, built no infrastructure and launched coups and civil wars in Puntland and neighbouring regions.

I don't come on this site to attack leaders. I suggest that you look at whom you are supporting before you start commenting on others.

You can't be a man of peace and criticize Cade and then support Yey!

^^^ Interesting, my dear SomaliPride there is no argument between us here nor should there be. We have few differences you and I. We are both against the corruprtion in Puntland whether under Yusuf or Cade or the ones after them, bad leadership, nepotisam, will bring us all down.

Lets not take sides, Somalia has ahd and has very bad leaders, including Cade, Abdiqasin, Riyaale and of course ina Yusuf Yey..

My defence of the TFG is not an excuse for its short comings. I am only combating the secesionists who dream of seing every SOMALI leader isolated. Today neither Yusuf nor Cade are isolated nor does Puntland and the TFG lack power or support..

Thankful   

Fair enough, now that we our clear, I totally understand your stance. I use to criticize our leaders but after I went there I realized that we need more solutions and for our younger generation to get their act together. I also suggest that people don't believe the media reports and look at who's writing it first, for instance reports from Somaliland and other people that wish to see us fall into tribal fighting. Things are tough in Puntland, I mean nothing like Mogadishu, but conflicts will arise but I honestly think things are getting better. Sanaag, Garoowe, Gaalkayo are all minor conflicts that take place in all societies. Yet the difference with Puntland unlike that rest of Somalia, is that the people and administration will find a peaceful solution and I guarantee that.

Back to the topic at hand; I'm proud that the TFG is getting some recognition and hopefully people in Diaspora will go back and beginning rebuilding their lands.

As John F. Kennedy said

"Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country."

Originally posted by somalipride:

Sanaag, Garoowe, Gaalkayo are all
minor conflicts
that take place in all societies.

Minor conflicts, huh. But when Col Yeey's militias pounded Qardho a couple of years back, it was a massacre, was it?

Besides, I thought there was no conflict going on in Majiyahan at all (just SL, Dayniile media hype ;) ). Now, its been heightened to a "minor conflict" by you. Well, at least you're facing a bit of reality.

Somalipride well said indeed. These are minor shootings that take place every where in Somalia, which our good neighbouring clans would like to exploit. But it is our responsability to defuse the situation and show tolerance to our people.

Going back to the topic, this EU agreement and the Arab league summit has been a sucess for the TFG. No one can take that from the leaders not even Oodweynes writing.

madaxwaynaha%20khartoum%205.JPG

madaxwaynaha%20khartoum%209.JPG

First of all Mr Oodweyn you and I belong to two competing Somali political groups with totally different stances. Yours is the secessionist clan state better known as Somaliland and mine is the Federal government or TFG. For 14 years the secessionist clan state has been isolated and alone and has the support of hardly anyone outside of a number of NGO’s and nostalgic British colonial writers and individuals. This is demonstrated by the facts as reported on Reuters that..

“The European Commission signed a pact giving political recognition to Somalia's interim government on Tuesday and pledged more aid to the war-weary Horn of Africa nation.â€

This is an important step for the TFG, it gives it further legitimacy which the secessionists crave but has so far not attained. Remembering also that the EU is a major world donor and this can be illustrated by the fact that it gives millions of dollars annually to the Palestinian authorities. Its support would go along way to establishing a central government in Somalia. Only a school boy would ignore the fact that the secessionists and have attempted many times to make in roads with the EU and have thus far failed.

It is interesting also that Mr Oodweyn highlights the Italian involvement in this meeting and the, now I welcome the recognition and the support the Italian government has given the TFG thus far.

This is a testament to the weakness, incompetence and the lack of understanding of the workings of the international community of the secessionists. Who have put all their bets on their former masters Britain recognising them after all they were aâ€protectorateâ€.

They have failed to understand that arguments based on clans would seem absurd to an EU that has overcome the differences of religion, language, culture and the history of two destructive world wars.

Mr Oodweyn, the TFG in less than a year and six months has gained the support and backing of the important EU, to name a few it has the recognition of and sent representatives[ambassadors] to China, Belgium and Italy. It is a member of the AU and Arab League.

Diplomatically Somaliland has achieved nothing in 14 years. Domestically speaking it is a bigger version of Mohamed Dheere clan state with a parliament. No one on Earth recognises it, so who is fooling who, who is the comedian here. You or I. My leaders [Abdiqasin, Yusuf] have spoken in the UN assembly yours is isolated in Hargaysa and has been chased out of LAS ANO.

There is no argument here I present facts my nation exists and is recognised by the world, if you have doubts I can name you my ambassadors can you name me any of yours?

Salaam

Duke...