Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

SOMALILAND SEEKS AN OPEN TRADE WITH YEMEN

In a time the Yemeni government asserted on the national unity of eSomalia, specifically in the congratulatory message of President Ali Abdullah Saleh sent to recently elected Somali President Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed, efforts by prominent figures from Somaliland are being made to enhance direct trade relations with their self-declared independent state.

The case becomes more of a concern with the recent reports that the Somaliland government said it would use force if its borders are threatened after the election of Somalia’s new president, whose government is fiercely opposed to Mr Abdullahi who claims two regions within Somaliland belong to Somalia.

But in Somaliland, independent for 13 years but without any international recognition, the election of Mr Adullahi has not been well received. Its government refused to participate in the peace process in neighboring Kenya and has reiterated its sovereignty as an independent state that reclaimed its independence after a period of four decades of unity with the Southern part of the country.

“We remind all concerned that the government and the president elected in Kenya is for Somalia and not Somaliland,” Information Minister Abdillahi Mohamed Du’ale said after the elections.

A delegate from Somaliland in Yemen

Mr. Ibrahim Othman Yousuf, a prominent figure and investor from Somaliland has been sent by the President of his state Mr. Dahir Rayale to Yemen with a letter presented to Yemeni President Saleh urging him to exert more efforts to have direct trade links with Somaliland.

In an interview to Yemen Times, Mr. Othman openly requested that his mission not be seen a call for complete political recognition of Somaliland, which is something he greatly desires, but rather to enhance bilateral trade relations with Somaliland. “There are many possibilities and potentials in cooperation between our two states. I am not demanding that Yemen recognized Somaliland as an independent state but rather to at least help the Somali brothers in this part of the country develop their standard of living by providing them with the means to boost their country’s economy.”

This comes in a time some direct trade activities have already started – according to Mr. Othman – as the Yemeni Economic Corporation had signed an agreement around a week ago with the Hargeisa Chamber of Trade to explore potential cooperation in importing sheep from Somaliland and exporting some manufactured goods from Yemen.

“We have made some positive steps in establishing key talks with Yemeni investors and businessmen who seem to be keen to invest in Somaliland.” Othman said.

“I personally believe that the fact that Somaliland is not recognized politically as an impendent state doesn’t mean we are not independent. We are an independent people, we have our borders, our currency, our capital, and most important of all, our history as different people from the rest of Somalia.”

“The fact that Yemen doesn’t recognize Somaliland as an independent state doesn’t mean we cannot work together for the mutual benefit of both parties.” he added.

It is worth noting that Ethiopia is currently the most well-connected country with Somaliland even though it also doesn’t recognize it as an independent country.

“We have almost daily flights from Addis Ababa to Hergeisa. The Ethiopian counterpart understood the benefit of having such a flight and I am sure if Yemen Airways thinks about it, they would also take such an initiative.” Othman suggested.

However, in total contrast to the Yemeni unity, Somaliland decided to breakaway from the country in 1991, and in fact was the first country who recognized the self-proclaimed independence of South Yemen during the 1994 civil war, causing the issue of having political relations with Somaliland extremely difficult.

“I understand the sensitivity of the issue of accepting our country as independent, especially by Yemen, but I wanted to raise the issue of possibility to work together in the economic, social, and cultural aspects rather than the political dimension.” Othman added.

It is worth noting that despite continuous efforts to encourage trade relations between Somaliland and Yemen, little has been achieved so far in this respect, and the government of Somaliland is insistent on pursuing new ways to drive the attention of independent investors and thinkers in Yemen to establish links with their counterparts in Somaliland hopefully to help boost its economy and generate income from investments. This becomes a potential case due to the fact that the Breakaway state has been known to be more peaceful and secure than the other parts of the country.

GOOD MOVE FROM SOMALILAND :D

me   

“The fact that Yemen doesn’t recognize Somaliland as an independent state"

End of story

me   

A civil war is going on in the Somali Republic Northerner, in all countries where there are/were civil wars there have been regions like that had administrations, but after the civil war ends, then the self administration of that region ends.

Also know now that Somalia has an internationally recognized government in the TFG and Yemen recognizes the TFG as the legal government of Somalia and thereby also recognizes the territorial sovereignty of Somalia

Other countries can't make deals with regions of the country without the consent of the TFG.

End of that story.

me   

No keyword Internationally Recognized. Otherwise its just a rebelliouse region.

me   

No I do not. Its a rebeliouse region in a time of civil war. And independance is only relative, it depends on what criteria you use to prove independance.

N.O.R.F   

There is occupation, resistence and clan battles but no civil war matey. Try something else,,,

But while all that is going on SL will receive its usual aid money without going through Somalia, will sign agreements with foriegn firms to rebuild concrete factories, will build up to a presidential election next year etc

Rebelion doesnt seem so bad,,,

me   

I am glad you understand that the situation of the secessionist enity is rebellion rather then independance at least we agreed on something today. ;)

ps. Clan battles are not a civil war? :D

N.O.R.F   

Heh, I was being sarcastic (which i'm sure you already know) but I'll take your reluctance to address issues in my last post as a concession on your part ;)

A clan battle = civil war? If you insist, but SL is still independent from Somalia ;)

me   

A. You have not asked a question, so how can i concede smile.gif

B. You have made comments that emphasize the tragic situation our country is in, but those comments do not change the situation of the secessionist entity.

1. Somalia is in a civil war

2. Somalia has an internationally recognized government

3. By recognizing this government the international community also recognized the territorial integrity of the Somali Republic.

4. The secessionist leadership is the de facto leadership in the North West territory but the question is for how long? and if this international recognition that they are seeking doesn't come soon well then :D

5. The status of the region now is a rebelliouse region.

Marka sarcasm ha kaa saarto :D .............anyhow to come back to the original question, can other countries/foreign companies make deals with the secessionist enity or any other warlord and are these deals binding? are these deals in accordance with Somali law? anyone?