Sign in to follow this  
AYOUB

A jailed Somaliland elder makes a court appearance

AYOUB   

February 24, 2004 HornAfrik. Mogadishu Somalia

A prominent Somaliland elder who has been in custody for more than three weeks after being accused of committing crimes against the state has made a court appearance on Tuesday for the second time amid tight security.

The prominent elder Boqor Osman Mahamud was picked up by a contingent of police officers led by the Somaliland Police Muhammad Ige last month, from the Hargaysa Club hotel where he was staying.

Speaking to the reporters in Hargeysa, Mr. Mahamud said that he was not ill treated while in custody but accused the government of denying his relatives to visit him.

His lawyer Rooble Mikal Maryame described his detention as illegal and unacceptable.

Shortly after his detention, Somaliland Interior Minister Isma'il Adan Usman told IRIN that the elder had been arrested for breaking Somaliland laws and "committing crimes against the existence of the state".

Boqor Usman is also being accused of "having contacts with Puntland [the neighboring self-declared autonomous region]".

Tension has been high between Somaliland and Puntland over the Sool and Sanaag regions, which are claimed by both.

The Boqor had reportedly contacted Puntland authorities in an effort to ease the tension and avert armed confrontation, sources said. Isma'il, however, said that the Boqor "supports the reunification of Somaliland with Somalia and has therefore called into question the existence of the country [somaliland]".

It is a crime under Somaliland law to advocate the reunification of Somaliland with the rest of Somalia.

Somaliland unilaterally declared independence from the rest of Somalia in 1991 after the fall of former President Muhammad Siyad Barre. It has remained relatively free from the chaos and war still ravaging other parts of Somalia, but has failed to gain recognition as an independent country.

BN   

Originally posted by AYOUB_SHEIKH:

Shortly after his detention, Somaliland Interior Minister Isma'il Adan Usman told IRIN that the elder had been arrested for breaking Somaliland laws and "committing crimes against the existence of the state".

Boqor Usman is also being accused of "having contacts with Puntland [the neighboring self-declared autonomous region]".

The Boqor had reportedly contacted Puntland authorities in an effort to ease the tension and avert armed confrontation, sources said. Isma'il, however, said that the Boqor "supports the reunification of Somaliland with Somalia and has therefore called into question the existence of the country [somaliland]".

It is a crime under Somaliland law to advocate the reunification of Somaliland with the rest of Somalia.

Ayoub,

Yes, I'm sure this Orwellian society you guys have created will really help that whole recognition thing... :rolleyes: icon_razz.gif:D

Do you agree with any of this?

BN

Gabbal   

Blaah.Blaah.Blaah

I see you still haven't found that hobby, that I stressed you were in need of huh, grandfather? :D

Let me tell that not here and not ever would I get into that little qabilistic debate of words you are so eager to engage me in. To think a man who "was instrumental in the break-up of the Somali Republic since before independence" [ :rolleyes: ] is so interested to have a qabilistic tate-tate with me inorder to relive some of his over-prolonged anger and frusteration at the clan that I was born into just goes to show you how pathetic you really are. For someone of your age, I would greatly advise you to save face. Or has your obsession with "you know what" got hold of you to the point you lost Somali social etiquette and are making you to fabricate any and all documents so it could seem as your wish for a non-existent state is coming true?

Mark Twain once said: "Wisdom is the reward you get from a lifetime of listening when you would rather have talked."

I'm guessing you've never listened in your long life have you Oodweyn?

BN   

It is a crime under Somaliland law to
advocate
the reunification of Somaliland with the rest of Somalia.

What exactly would you call that? Freedom? Democracy? Where what you say or think can be considered 'treason'?

Enough with the doublespeak and jargon, please keep your answer short and sweet. :D I dont read half of what you write let alone make heads or tails of the other half :D

BN

If you ask me Horn Afrique you seem to think you have a need for defending Siyad Barre, and if any one brings him up, they're talking about your tribe. It would seem you're the one who is equating your clan to Siyad Barre, and I wish that isn't the case.

Boqor Buurmadow has been wronged. I hope the government compensates him. But I have heard he hired a very good lawyer, actually ina Micheal Mariano.

Lets see if justice is made or if UDUB gov't sends an old man to jail for "abandoning a friend".

Bari_Nomad

I think sxb you have completely misunderstood the reason the Boqor was arrested. If you didn't know, the Boqor and Riyale were very close friends, in fact, Buurmadow was an active UDUB Secretary. When he had a falling out with Riyale he had a falling out with the entire regime. So now his past deeds are haunting him!

Either way, I think the man should be set free....thats if the judicial system has learned anything from saturdays demos.

Som@li   

My sympathy goes to all the families of Burmadow who is behind bars,

i hope he gets free trial,,as the guy is obviously innocent. When can we expect one to have a freedom of speech in Africa??

bye

The matter at hand my dear Mr Oodweyne (rather endearing, would not you say?) is whether Boqor Buurmadow’s imprisonment is lawful, or not? And since you seem supportive of the former, why not offer defence on that front.

What was the old expression - “Marka Fardo Loo Heeso, Ayuu Geel u Heesaa” - aaaaah how so befitting in the case of our dear Mr Oodweyne – the progeny of the Northwest.

A trend in Mr Oodweyne’s narrations is that “reality on the ground” is never observed, rather a fictitious portrayal of what is desired only in the titillating rounds of ale-gulping unorthodox regulars are being presented instead, lest realism injuriously depletes the mode and psyche of the raconteur. Nothing more excruciatingly agonizing than waking up in the midst of the night only to suss out your nicely partitioned chip is no longer, and doom has rather settled in whilst asleep - I guess those chaps is the Midlands were not familiar with the “mind the gap” idiom, thusly perhaps a prepaid tour to the South East courtesy of HR R II is overdue.

Here an attempt is being made to draw attention to the plight, the illegal arrest, suppression of freedom of thinking and movement, and concoction of fallacious writs to harass and persecute civilians and worse of all traditional leaders, yet the said gentleman sees it fit to go on a branch-munching, scruff-bruising, toeing-type crusade to sideline the subject matter and turn the stage into vis-à-vis kind of pantomime platform for mediocre theatrical performance.

An enthralment, if you will of being satisfied with the status quo - an awfully calamitous one, mind you - and rhetorically asinine retort of “you are no better than us” mindset is being adopted NOW, and sadly replaced the once “we are better than you” frame of mind of the yesterdays. A clear despondency and culling of the spirit from the within is sensed, and is deemed to validate the gruesome realities affront. Check my dear Oodweyne’s obsession with Col Yey (as he so kindly refers to the out-going President of Puntland).

As regretful and unfortunate as it has been that the late Sultan Hurre died (not killed as being alleged) in the most ungallantly fashion that one could possibly have, it does neither justifies, nor supports similar dishonourable acts to take place in Hargeisa today. Yet, Mr Oodweyne’s argument seems to support the practise of imprisoning, if not dishonouring elders whilst placing fear in the heart of the ordinary persons in Hargeisa – we are not to speak of other cities for Riyaale’s authority reaches no further than Sheikh Barkhadle to the delight of the locals. And thank God for that! Audacity that only his kinsmen rejoiced in the late 70s and early 80s when civilians were being torched, tortured in parts of Somalia. A repeat of you will of the ugly mantra and politicking of the old days. One would have thought, a lesson had been learnt, and the voice of reason and protest against human bellowing will have been heeded. Instead, as unfortunately as it is, support for the brute force and pugnacious bellicose is being exulted. How sadistic!

Not so long ago, a more realistic daughter of the land in question, Ms Khadra Ibrahim (Warqad Furan .Ku: Dadka Somaliland ee U damqanaye Dalkooda) who actually visited the area in question summarised her experience in few words: “Yaa u maqan wadankan” whilst truly in a heartfelt rendition capturing the lamentable state of affairs in the said regions. From experience, we also know that matters are in direst of state in any aspect one observes, yet on the books a rather colossal, rosy picturesque ala Britannia is being drawn. How regrettable!

“Nasiib daro, waxan tegay, wadan dadla’ani hayso, waxa dankalihi aanu jirin, waxan tegay, wadan sida loo dhaco mooyee sida wax loogu taraba cidi ka talinaynin. Waxan tegay, wadan xataa odayaashiisii dad cun noqdeen, oo lakala iibsanayo. Waxan tegay, wadan dadkiisii rajadii ka tagtay, oo lagu kala fogaaday, oo la ilaaway dhibaatadii la soo maray. Waxan tegay, wadan xataa buurihiisii, cidi yeelatay. Maanta hadal iyo dhamaantii, reer Somaliland oow waxan idin leeyahay, cidi uma maqna ceelna uma qodna. Wadankiinii, wax xoreeya ayuu u baahanyahay, haddii uu sidan ku sii socdona, way inoo dhamaatay” http://www.halganews.com/0204/1/Warqad%20%20Furan%20oo%20ku%20socota%20Somalilander%20kasta.htm

Again, you speak of democracy. So, let us unpeel the surface for a mo, shall we? Democracy, an imperfect system in itself could only be deemed a system of governance should the right technocrats are at the helm of its implementation. A mere cosmetic force or élan vital by itself could hardly inspire hope, devotion and conviction. It could not offer comfort to the hearts of the distressed, nor courage to the embattled souls. Riyaale et al could hardly fit the bill.

It has been argued that because of gluttony and opulence, men are not content with simple life, thus pine for what have they not. Seldom do men desire something unless it belongs to others. The result is the encroachment of one group upon the territory of another, the rivalry of groups for resources of the soil, and consequently war. Check Hargeisa’s ambitious, yet ill-fated plan to attack SS &Ayn for further spoils.

What you have in Northwest today is “plutocratic oligarchy” where a few opulent and tribal mercantile traders rule the state. Here, a division amongst people is established, and there arises a political order which replaces genuine body politik as a mode to political grouping, thus lust for the spoils of the office. Check Riyaale and his administration in Hargeisa.

That my dear chap could hardly be described as a fair and just system of government where the distribution of resources are confined in the coffers of the ruling family, and within the outskirts of the city.

The underlining principle of democracy as a system of government is for the neglected to overcome the ills of resource deprivation, rid of disparity and inequity, and secure exposure to equal share of freedom and power. Neither unfortunately could be observed in Northwest today. What is being seen, however is accumulation of wrongs, abuse of power, social ills and negligence on the rise all of which tends to precipitate the downfall of the state institutions, if ever there were any. Further, disoriented clamber for wealth and resources by the strong ones could be observed in Hargeisa. Consequently, narrow circles to uproot the ruling family are reticently being formed. Do you await only to react to the tumultuous calamities afterwards, or formulate a strategy beforehand to weather gathering storms?

Could Mr Oodweyne challenge any of these, or could he offer a more honest opinion? Or is that too much for the intellect of our own balderdash orator who only spews out suger-coated noughts and halves.

Again in another sliding of the slope only privy to yours truly, you speak of a jurisprudence and legal system where the appellant could litigiously mount a just trial. Where in the world do you live, man? Have you not read the following excerpt? http://haatuf.net/Archive2003/00053100.htm

Are these the court systems you were referring to? Or were you in a moment of memory loss thought the good Boqor was going to be tried at the Old Bailey?

Got to dash,

Cheers.

Thank God for the Internet!

I know lots of folks who pick up dictionaries thinking that big words is gonna impress anyone.

Either way, I don't see what the argument is. Buurmadow was arrested and already pro-UDUB elements and websites have published articles to discredit the Boqor's character, including his relative association with the people of Puntland and questioning the legitimacy of his Boqorhood amongst his kin.

Read the propaganda here: http://www.awdalnews.com/wmview.php?ArtID=2398

Also, another noteworthy assessment of the superpower status of the Somaliland national army can be found here: http://www.awdalnews.com/wmview.php?ArtID=2354

The notions include an invasion of Boosaaso and Garoowe by the superpower of Africa, the Republic of Somaliland. People get ready. We're just gonna watch while our cities are captured! lol

P.S. Neither Garoowe nor Boosaaso has EVER been captured by people who are not from there. There's reality, then there's fantasy. You decide! But given that Las Anod is in the hands of it's rightful owners, the ball is in YOUR court. Talk is cheap!

My dear Mr oWeyne,

To default further detail with regards to my original questions, I ask of the honourable gentleman from the Midlands to make an attempt and answer the questions please.

Is Boqor Buurmadow's imprisonment legal? Is the harassment of elders and civilians permissible? If so, on what grounds?

Could Mr OWeyne challenge any of these, or could he offer a more honest opinion? Or is that too much for the intellect of our own balderdash orator who only spews out suger-coated noughts and halves.

Again in another sliding of the slope only privy to yours truly, you speak of a jurisprudence and legal system where the appellant could litigiously mount a just trial. Where in the world do you live, man? Have you not read the following excerpt? http://haatuf.net/Archive2003/00053100.htm

Are these the court systems you were referring to? Or were you in a moment of memory loss thought the good Boqor was going to be tried at the Old Bailey?

I must admit I do recall, with less dramatic effect I might add, the story concerning the collapse of Barings Bank, yet hardly remember the bout 'ween K Clarke and D Skinner you speak of, but I'll take your word for it. Me, in a dark room, not in this life time old chap. Try another line all right. Perhaps you are mistaking me for one of your favourites, a man who used to chew on a bar of soap when not being watched. A relation of yours was he?

Pleasure would have been derived had I had the fortune to cross my Es and Js for the website in question, but unfortunately as a custom in that part of the country you had your Ds and Gs all entangled old bud.

Now, this line here is truly worrisome. " … you feeling the fever of hatred coming it's way to your head against all that Somaliland stand for ….. I beg of you for your own good to take this brotherly advice to heart, it may save you what small dignity that you have so far left with yourself, lest, unfortunately you disrobe yourself of it altogether at the political service and the altar of that third-rate murderous megalomaniac misfit, namely col Yey, to whom sadly you have chosen as profession to be his modern day scribbling pamphleteer"

Tell me mate, I knew you were having nightmares about the old man (Col Yey) in question, but since when did you add me to the list of those who keep you awake at night. We are only entertaining one another here mate, are we not? No hatred. Or did I read the cue incorrectly so far as you are concerned?

Again, could you be a good chap for once to address the issues at hand, and quit the “calaacal” and “qardajeex”?

Enough for the day old chap,

And sleep tight,

Cheers.