Sign in to follow this  
Gabbal

Press Release Plight of the people of SANAG and SOOL REGIONS

Gabbal   

DEAR MEMBERS OF THE PRESS

asha.jpg

Asha Ahmed Abdallau - presidential candidate

I Hon. Asha Ahmed Abdalla, a delegate of the Somali TNG and presidential candidate have the following maters of concern to bring to the notice of International Community. My profound concern is the plight of the people of SANAG and SOOL REGIONS of Somalia where there has been severe and prolonged drought for a duration of 3 years. These people who are Nomadic Pastoralist are dependent on livestock and their productions. Naturally when the rains failed and most of the water sources e.g. boreholes, wells dried the result is an enormous human and livestock catastrophe.

In the absence of a Central Government in Somalia there is always a big problem facing the population of the country. Matters get worse when there occurs natural disasters like this current drought. It is quite painful to see people and their livestock perishing when these warlords claiming to be in charge do not raise the alarm to seek assistance to the needy people. Surely my people of SANAG region have been marginalized for long and I have the responsibility of alerting all UN Agencies and other Humanitarian NGO?s to let them be aware of this crisis.

I kindly request all Agencies in Somalia to visit SANAG to evaluate the situation on the ground. According to information I received from reliable sources already a large number of camels and cattle have perished in this drought. People have no access to any source of livelihood after loosing their livestock. Now the end result in people and mostly women and children are in desperate condition due to lack of food and water.

Deaths caused by starvation and malnutrition to children is known to have increased considerably. Those Somali leaders who area in attendance of the Somali talks in Mbagathi are only discussing politics when there is a crisis in need of attention. As a mother and a politician. Once again I feel duty bound to let the International Community know drought situation in this region, if not tackled now could cause thousand of people to loose their lives. The world attention according to the international media is now focused on Liberia and Southern African countries but here in Somalia Sanag Region, I believe the situation is equally bad, even worse. The districts mostly affected by the drought condition are;

i. LAS KOREN

ii. DAHAR

iii. BARAAW

iv. PARTS OF NORTH EAST SOOL

Finally I hope Humanitarian organisations will take heed of my call and answer by taking all necessary actions to save humans and their livestock. It is generally said where there is water there is life.

Thank you.

ASHA AHMED ABDALLA.

Presidential Candidate