Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

Terrorists in Somalia

(AP) Al-Qaida is active in Somalia, but U.S. counterterrorism forces are succeeding in keeping its influence from spreading in East Africa _ using shovels as their weapons, a commander said Monday.

Maj. Gen. Tim Ghormley, who assumed command of the task force in May, said his troops are focusing on humanitarian projects including drilling wells and refurbishing schools and clinics to improve the lives of residents in the region and keep them away from the terror network.

"We know that al-Qaida al-Itihaad is in Somalia," Ghormley told reporters in an interview at his base in the impoverished nation of Djibouti. "They'd like to export that ... if we weren't there they would be."

While the al-Qaida linked group al-Itihaad was largely destroyed or disbanded by Ethiopian troops fighting inside Somalia by 1997, some of its members have regrouped under new guises and have begun to grow in strength, according to an International Crisis Group report released in July.

Somalia, divided into warring fiefdoms and with no central government, remains fertile ground for terrorists.

The Combined Joint Task Force-Horn of Africa, set up in this former French colony in June 2002, is responsible for fighting terrorism in nine countries around the Horn of Africa: Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Sudan, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda and Somalia in Africa and Yemen on the southwestern corner of the Arabian Peninsula.

"I believe we're winning," Ghormley said, sitting on a wicker sofa under ceiling fans in a reception hall. "You can't contain them (al-Qaida), but we can take away their recruiting pool and deny them access and that's what we're trying to do."

He singled out a well-drilling project near the eastern Ethiopian hamlet of Gode, which drew the gratitude of the villagers.

But he also acknowledged the threat posed by terrorists taking sanctuary in Somalia and other lawless regions. African governments have historically had a hard time providing security in remote rural areas or patrolling vast borders where nomads frequently cross without detection.

Ghormley spoke after a New Year's pep rally for troops by the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Peter Pace, who is on an eight-nation tour with his wife, Lynne, "American Idol" star Diana DeGarmo and other entertainers.

Pace told the troops their job was important despite the remoteness of the outpost, saying they were the "wave of the future."

The impoverished region, which is home to many Muslims, is a well-established recruiting ground for terrorist groups and U.S. officials describe it as a critical theater in the fight against terrorism.

The region has already suffered four terrorist attacks, all either claimed by _ or attributed to _ Osama bin Laden's al-Qaida terrorist network. In August 1998, car bombs destroyed the U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania; in October 2000 suicide bombers attacked the USS Cole while it was refueling in Yemen; and in November 2002 attackers tried to shoot down an Israeli airliner minutes before a car bomb destroyed a hotel on Kenya's coast.

Source 1

Source 2: Somalia new front for Osama Bin Laden

Do you guys notice the increasing frequency of these types of reports? Deja vu goosebumps. Something bad's going to happen...and pretty soon.

Snake-i   

Do you guys notice the increasing frequency of these types of reports? Deja vu goosebumps. Something bad's going to happen...and pretty soon.

I knew I smelled a rat. I was thinking the same thing there are more reports about Somalia in the American media lately. It is almost as if they are trying to get the peoples attention and show them what Somalia is like. Furthermore the interesting part is if you think about it Somali has the longest coast line in Africa not to forget that it has an easy path into Asia, Europe and the Middle East. They just want to have a military base in Somali and by the looks they will have one. Somali will be ruled and that waste-land will be just like Puerto Rico.

The only question I have is what will the Somalis in the west do if America decides to go into Somalia just like they went into afghan, because the Arabs aren’t doing absolutely nothing right now and there are more Arabs in this world than Somalis; so what can the Somalis do……nothing we can’t help our people right now how can we actually help them then

We are the weakest people on earth speaking from a military point view…America if willing will attack Somalia full force from the air (not any mountains to hide under like afghan), sea…(we don’t have any navy) and land…(Mr. skinny will get his behind blown into pieces)….America has pick that best time to show the world what Somalia is today…2 million people starving…isn’t it beautiful

To be honest, I can’t wait for the Americans to go into Somalia and just blow every damn skinny apart and bring them down to their knees…America wants its revenge it will get it

Why do I say this simply because we had 16 damn years to build that country and we Somalis are to blame for but when bush kicks those black behinds and makes sure that every Somali bows down, then will the Somalis start to think as a nation rather than every tribe on their own and know that if we are divided we will be demoralized and we have to unite in order to SURVIVE…. Till then Somalis is NOTHING

USA-1

Somalia-0

Dhubad.   

Yep, I have noticed lately that Somlia in on the spotlight once again. The Marines stationed in D-jabuti had enough of building schools and wells in that region. They want to move right into Somalia and before they do that of course they have to create a myth atmosphere.

For example, last week CNN showed a watch with Osama Bin-laden picture on it which they said those watches have been distributed across Somalia as recruitment for Algaida, what a bathetic excuse !

Let us wait and see.