Sign in to follow this  
Shaakirullaah

Survey shows fewer Somalis need humanitarian aid

^

True Dat:

For Somalis, humanitarian aid has always been bad for us. It created an unhealthy culture of dependency on foreigners by preventing our local farmers from bothering to plant our crops, just because they were nearly at the point of discouragement in realizing the futility of their efforts by competing against cheap food aid dumped onto our markets.

I have NEVER seen eye to eye with the Al Shabab deviants, but I support them wholeheartedly on this ONE issue.

WFP and other NGO's must be prevented from destroying our local agricultural markets and killing the business of our local farmers.

Although we should be celebrating the good fortune of having such a fruitful harvest, we should also be careful when examining the impact that Shabaabs policies are having on this issue as a whole. The artcle states that:

"Populations in Hiran and other central Somali regions that have received less rainfall remain mired in crisis, with around 70 percent of the population still in need of aid, according to the FSNAU report."

It would be wise to limit the amount of food aid in proportion to the needs of farmers, however Al Shabaab do not possess that level of bargaining power due to the West's violent oppostion to them, and the economic needs of the West to further perpetuate that dependency. This would make it very difficult to gain the balance we need in Somalia.

One sure fire way of helping local farmers would also be easing the process of transporting produce because a lot of valuable crop goes to waste in transit through isbaaro, bad roads that lead to crashes etc.

why are we kidding our selves PPLe? yes there may be good scale of rainfall and Harvest in some Areas like Juba's and Shabelle and that is good news ,,but what abt hundreds and thousands of IDPs in Mogadishos suburbs,,,,don't they need Badar and Biyo? and if at all there is food in the market can they afford to buy? i have seen a guy who said same stuff above in FSAU meeting in Nbi last month,,i knew he was nothing but a Al-shabab Spokesman!!

NASSIR   

The FSNAU survey showed maize and sorghum production had boomed in southern Somalia -- which is mostly under the control of the hardline al Shabaab insurgent group.

Mansha'Allah, Mansha'Allah.