Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Somaliland's 2008 Budget Approved

The 2008 Budget approved today by the Somaliland House of Representatives is the largest to date, estimated at 51 million dollars ($51,000,000) an increase of 27% from 2007.

With even 2 millions, one could run quite comfortably Hargeysa Hospital or provide badly needed equipments to others such as Gabiley "Hospital", painstakingly founded by the diaspora and still unfinished (one may wonder exactely what role is the administration supposed to do if the Somali diaspora and volunteers provide similar or better services in Xamar or Galkayo with its neurological surgery unit that attract patients from the Horn of Africa area!).

Here is a student account of one of the well-known affordable and relevant technologies:

"To provide safe anaesthesia in rural parts of developing countries, where such services are unavailable, specifically designed equipment is necessary. Machines must be robust, inexpensive, and be able to function despite erratic medical supplies, frequent power cuts, and limited facilities for servicing. Despite such a need, doctors continue to direct research at more expensive and elaborate systems. Surely such an attitude is contributing to the enormous global inequalities in health?

While on my anaesthetics placement at Gloucestershire Royal Hospital, however, I came across a doctor whose interest in designing anaesthetic machines was aimed at this unconsidered market--the developing world. He had developed the Glostavent, an anaesthetic machine with a difference. It costs a fraction of the price of an average machine (around £8000),2 and has been designed specifically for use in difficult situations".student.bmj.com

Originally posted by Northerner:

The budget has gone up from approx $49m. Increase of $2m or so. No big deal.

One hopes mechanisms will start being put in place to monitor its expenditure. Fat chance I say.

How much should it have gone up by?

N.O.R.F   

^^Where did I suggest it should be higher? Comprehension again?

If I recall correctly in 2005 the budget was approx GBP 24m ($48m).

Originally posted by Northerner:

^^Where did I suggest it should be higher? Comprehension again?

If I recall correctly in 2005 the budget was approx GBP 24m ($48m).

You said the increase was a no big deal..You're implying that it should be higher no? So I ask you how much higher?

N.O.R.F   

^^I'm implying the increase of 27% is BS and its actually only a few million dollars (which is worthless in today's climate).