Sign in to follow this  
IL CAPO

FORMER HOSTAGE SUES AL-JAZEERA.

IL CAPO   

Kuwait City - A Saudi truck driver who was kidnapped and released by a militant Iraqi group in June has sued al-Jazeera television for "moral" damages and is demanding compensation, a lawyer said on Tuesday.

Saydan Saadun Saydan charged before Kuwait's lower court that a cameraman from the television station shot a video of him while reading a statement during captivity, al-Jazeera's lawyer in Kuwait, Ali al-Nimesh, said.

"As the kidnappers asked me to read a statement, I saw a photographer and a reporter from al-Jazeera entering the place. They started shooting the video," Saydan said in his complaint.

But Nimesh said Saydan had not told the court how he recognised that the team belonged to al-Jazeera.

On June 5, al-Jazeera aired a video showing Saydan reading a statement warning lorry drivers not to work for the US-led occupation forces.

The man was abducted on May 31 while driving his own truck just outside Baghdad with some 1 800 boxes of soft drinks for a US company.

His truck was blown up in what he said was an attack by mujahedeen fighters on a convoy supposed to have been defended by Iraqi forces.

Nimesh said the court, which looked into the case on Monday, has adjourned until November 7.

He said he has challenged the authority of the court to look into such a case.

Al-Jazeera's office in Kuwait was closed more than two years ago. The channel has fought several cases in Kuwaiti courts.

P.S I should sue KBC (Kenya Broadcasting Co-operation) for showing a video of me which they secretly shot while i was busy listening to what the president had to say when he last came to Ngamia Rd Neighbourhood..but i can't afford a lawyer so anybody out there willing to help the brother get paid is more than welcome.

damn..where is a lawyer, when you bloody need one?