Sign in to follow this  
Intel

Zoro threatens to halt match

Intel   

9845100.jpg

Messina's Ivory Coast defender Marco Andre Zoro threatened to halt a Serie A game on Sunday (Monday morning AEDT) after suffering racial abuse from travelling Inter Milan supporters.

Zoro picked up the ball in the 66th minute and headed off the field towards the fourth official before other players, including Inter's Brazilian forward Adriano and Nigerian striker Obafemi Martins, persuaded him to continue.

"I was treated badly and can't have that. Away from home they can do what they want, I'm used to that, but not at my home ground. I took the responsibility and took the ball to the fourth official," he told Italy's Sky Sport.

Reports said the Inter fans had made 'monkey noises' when Zoro had touched the ball.

"These are people who don't love this game but they need to learn that we aren't animals and I want some respect. They travel many kilometres to follow their team and then they do these idiocies," said Zoro.

The defender said that Adriano and Martins had apologised for the behaviour of the Inter supporters but asked him to continue the match.

"They apologised to me for the fans and told me that they often have to put up with it as well and asked me not to stop the game," said Zoro.

He said it was by no means the first time he has had to cope with racism during his eight years in Italian football. "It has happened many times, always, wherever I go. But today I couldn't put up with it," he said.

Inter president Giacinto Facchetti apologised for the behaviour of the fans: "Unfortunately these are things that happen often but Inter has always stood against racism," he said.

Parma's Senagalese defender Ferdinand Coly said he wanted the game's governing body FIFA to take stronger action over racism.

"I want to ask FIFA to do something - we are just players who have to play there isn't a lot we can do, they have to do more," he said.

the ignominy continues @ the football pitches of southern Europe

muppet.jpg

^^^^ FIFA and FIGC officials :mad:

I haven't watched SerieA for a while...no digital cable :(

He should've proceeded ahead with the walk out if you ask me. Some1 must make a stand and draw a red line on the ground. Spain was even worse last season, especially at the Bernebeau. Fifa gotta start hitting clubs hards with financial penalties, take off points in demostic leagues (I know they can't but they can work a soln with demostic league FAs), bans, empty stadium games, disqualifications...