Sign in to follow this  
Gabbal

Puntland 'to expel Kenyans'

Gabbal   

The administration of the breakaway Somali republic of Puntland has ordered holders of Kenyan passports to leave within seven days.

Government spokesman Ahmed Asharo told the BBC that the orders were issued after Kenya's decision not to respect Somali passports.

Correspondents say the order will seriously affect aid agency workers.

Somalia has had no central government for 13 years and Kenya said that Somali passports were being widely forged.

Puntland has declared its autonomy from the rest of Somalia but does not issue its own passports.

Peace talks hit

"We were very surprised by the Kenyan government's move and this is just to remind them that they should have given us time before they made the decision," Mr Asharo told the BBC Focus on Africa programme.

He said the Kenyan directive has delayed the long-running Somali peace talks in Nairobi since traditional elders were unable to travel to join the talks at the weekend.

The Kenyan authorities say the ban, which became effective this month, follows revelations that the Somali passports are no longer being issued in the capital Mogadishu but on the backstreets of Nairobi.

They said forged passports led to security concerns and illegal migration.

The president of Somalia's Transition National Government Abdulkassim Salat Hassan has also criticised the Kenyan directive.

The TNG only controls small parts of the Mogadishu with rival factions battling for domination elsewhere.

Somalia has been without a central government since 1991, when the then president Siyad Barre was ousted.

Salaan...

The administration of the breakaway Somali republic of Puntland has ordered holders of Kenyan passports to leave within seven days.

War cusub! Breakaway? Republic? Ar goormee Buntiland jamhuuriyad noqotay? I think BBC got that wrong.

I don't understand what the Kenyans are doing. On one hand they are running the longest Somali peace reconciliation in history on the other they are refusing faked Somali passport. It seems that they are sending conflicting messages. They new the Somali passport was fake but why now and what they going to do with hundreds of Somalis in Doofaarey? Puntland admin should not pan the Kenyan passport coz the only Kenyans who are in their part of Somalia are aid workers and Somalis who hold Kenyan passport. On both account it only hurts Somalis. But the move got wide spread of support among Somalis. Several people I come across and some Somali local media such as STN applauded Puntland decision. About question of the breaking away from Somalia I think the news reporter maybe influenced by resent hot debate that is ragging among Puntland people after Abdulahi Yusuf indicated that they may try to change their course if the current Somali peace talks in Nairobi yield nothing. But who wouldn't confuse too many lands with no much to differentiate between them.

NGONGE   

This sounds like a timely reminder to all those quibbling elders to know that their country does not really exist! The Puntland gesture is futile and is not going to hurt Kenya in any way, shape or form. Like a little child protesting about some perceived injustice, they started stamping their feet and looking silly.

As for the fake passports, it’s about time that someone had pointed out that problem to us all. There really should be some sort of UN travel document that allows people of messed up countries like Somalia to move around. Maybe then, we’ll wake up to the situation and realise how bad things are. It may also become an accidental way of getting rid of all those small time hustlers with delusions of grandeur.

A combination of apathy and pride are a dangerous way to live your life.

Qudhac   

whats the point of kicking out few Aid and Ngo workers, all it does is hurt the somalis from that region, it serves no political gain at all other than a costly empty gesture.

P.s what all this talk of making puntland a republic among the punlanders, cos imagine after so many years of screaming at somaliland it would be hilarious if they followed its footsteps. allpuntland.com which is the mouth peace for C/y has started this campain all ready so i was just thinking what do puntlanders think of this?

Qudhac   

mad mullah

hold your breath qudhac boy

touchy aint we today, isnt it funny how you scream the "seccesionist lot of somaliland" yet when simple question is put to you melt down and resort to name calling, but since you new i think the admins will over look this.

Anyways i was just asking why alot of puntlanders are disscusing going republic and following somalinds footsteps, i mean i wonder why C/Y would consider this, what has changed and wouldnt this undermined the so called somali unity that was being preached for so long.

Therefore we will not be seen as traitors for seceding from the rest of the country like the Somalilanders now

As for calling somaliland a traitor becasue it didnt join the mud slinging of these warlords of the last 14 years, i wonder if it this is being triator or just good judgement on somalilanders behalf. ;)