Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Al-Shabaab’s Unavoidable Clash with Somaliland Democracy

Che, whether the former regime had popular support is a moot point. The question is did the SNM defeat the former regime. The answer is a resounding yes. In fact the SNM not only defeated it militarily but it defeated it economically and politically. The chronology of the implosion of the former regime supports my point of view. If you’re not aware this is a quick glance at history:

1977 – The former regime despite its clannish make up and wide spread nepotism, not to mention its fight against Islam, reigned supreme. In fact with the war with Ethiopia all Somalis regardless of their like or dislike for the former regime rallied behind the Republic.

1978- SODAF which later morphed into SSDF was formed. Their only contribution was to use clan in order to oppose a clannish regime. This was the model for every other rebel movement that came after. However, they ended up reconciling with the government and were by and large a non factor in defeating the former regime.

1981- SNM was formed. Its opposition was immediately felt. It put pressure on the government with its successful hit and run strategy. This caused the government to lose its invincibility

1988 March – By this time the SNM reinforced its military prowess with political savvy, with the integration of southern communities and setting up bases along the southern border of Somalia. This forced the former regime to make peace with their arch enemy Ethiopia. This was a political blow and something the Somali Psyche could not stomach.

1988 May- SNM kamikaze capture of Hargeisa & Buroa using the element of surprise proved the SNA to be no match for the SNM. Its use of weapons of mass destruction to recapture the major cities that later became ghost towns only showed how it had been crippled. Right from 1988 the SNM controlled the majority of the north from Zeila all the way to Ceerigaabo safe for the major cities which had the army bunkered in. Economically due to the decade long insurgency and the full blown out war in the north the government was reduced to being propped up by foreign aid. This too soon dried up due to the protracted war and the war crimes committed in the process.

1989 – By 1989 because of its earlier political blows to the regime by forcing it to sign a peace treaty with Ethiopia, and the failure of the SNA to militarily defeat the SNM except for defending ghost cities by the heavy use of mines, the regime started to crack. The SNM gave way to any disaffected Somali who did not want to fight for the former regime, thus allowing the SPM to be formed. The SPM formed as a direct reaction to the imprisonment of Aden Gabyow the defence minister who could not defeat the SNM and because the former regime had given up on Western Somali by signing a peace treaty. Other southern communities which were affiliated with the SNM then defected as well creating the USC & SSNM. By this time it was clear the emperor had no clothes. The SNM further used it political capital to get the SPM, USC & to agree not to negotiate with the former regime. This put the final blow and choke hold as the former regime at that time was looking to make deals with anyone who was willing to listen.

1991 January – The long struggle of SNM came to pass as the former regime had been defeated. Unfortunately, not everything can go right as the USC declared itself the new power forgetting the treaty that was signed & the rest is history.

Som@li   

Some ar trying to rewrite history.

Originally posted by Jacaylbaro:

quote: If Alshabaab defeats TFG, AMISOM, and Ethiopia forces in Somalia, It won't take half a day to run over Somaliland

Bring it on biaaaaaaa*t^ch .... miyay odhan jireen
:D

Don't u know Somaliland with less resources and capacity ran over the strongest military in Africa who defeated Ethiopia, Cuba and their allies ??
Waa kusidee ,Sidii hablihii Fooda lahaa baad u hadli, Belo ha u yeeran.

Thankful   

Originally posted by Oodweyne:

Thankful

I am sorry, but, your argument are as silly as they come, indeed. For, as I have said to you, there is no comparison to be had in here with what the said
SSC
is to Somaliland on one hand, and what the likes of Mr. Atom and his teeming insurgents in the mountain are about to pirate-land.

For one is about political differences that others may have with Somaliland (in the case of SSC); and, the other is about a chapter and a verse that is straight out of the Al-Shabaab play book. But, I guess that sort of
"qualitative differences"
is very much of a large argument, in which you will find a mighty difficult to wrap your flimsy brains around it, indeed, isn't,
my friend
?.

As for the
"road-side bombers"
and whatnot in which Somaliland may have suffered is concern, again, one can say perhaps you should find out the meaning of
"insurgents"
and how they operate; and then compare it the occasional road-side bombers.

In other words; one (in the case of insurgents) defines an active military operation mounted by a group of armed men on a sustained basis; and the other (in the case of the occasional road-side bombers) is an opportunistic criminal activity that has the bend of terror-stricken dimension to it, whereby others on a cell-based manner do so, indeed.

Hence, the two are not even in the same category; much less to be be thought of to be equal in their political significance, indeed. But, be that as it may, I would still venture in here to say that you have deep difficulty in understanding things that are as simple as daylight. Hence, why it's beyond hopeless to keep educating you in here about matters of this kind, indeed.
;)

Regards,

Oodweyne.

I know it is pointless trying to shed some light on an issue to you because no matter what, you see things one way and have no problem with continuously fabricating things.

Are the SSC similar to Al Shabaab, I personally do not believe it. However your own government says that they are one in the same, not only your government but also the Ethiopian government has made this allegation!! You see my friend, although you feel the need to insult someone’s intelligence because they don't agree with you, I refuse to resort to that childish and immature defense mechanism. I will simply state my opinion and evidence to support it and regardless of what yours is I will respect it!

No group has yet claimed responsibility but local authority
suspects al-shabab backed SSC
might have carried out the attack on the leader. In the past, Somaliland forces arrested a number of clerics who back the militant who pledged their allegiance to al-Shabab in the past.

NWSomaliapress

Read this article and you will see that according to the authorities from your region the SSC are no different then Atam! You see, both our governments claim that the groups they are fighting are being backed by Al Shabaab.

So you can go against what your own authorities have said numerous times and say that the SSC vs NW Somalia is politically motivated, where as Atam, is "about a chapter and a verse that is straight out of the Al-Shabaab play book." But you are the mistaken! Especially when you try and say those absurd comments like “Al Shabaab can never come to our region like they did in Puntland” or “We would destroy them.” You see Oodweyne….Al Shabaab according to your government and the Ethiopians is already in your region.

Do you think after endless acquisitions from your enclave of the SSC being allied with Al Shabaab, you can actually now come forward and say that unlike Puntland an Atam incident can not happen, they must resort to hit and run tactics?

The SSC your government claims is backed by Al Shabaab sits safely in Buhoodle where they have contiously attacked you - and nothing is being done to them!

When compared to Puntland and ATam, I believe in fact it is far worse, because the SSC has not only used land mines, thrown grenades and assassinations. They actually attack surrounding towns from their base which you have never even attempted to attack. Foreign journalists have interviewed them because they have no fear of your authorities.

Mr Gulled told local reporters the clashes happened in the Widwid village in Buhodle region at around 12 p.m. when his men came under attack from SSC militia and the two sides exchanged fire for several hours.

Mr Gulled added the militants have being dispersed, with most disappearing into the wilds in the Buhodle town direction. He said the army has since tightened security in and around Widwid village and are now in hot pursuit.

These men attacked in broad daylight for several hours and then went back to their base in Buhoodle! Which is a town based in the area you claim falls in your borders! So unlike you said:

That is way I still hold that they will only resort to a "suicide-bombers" and other sneaky assault of the kind that Kampala incident was the whole-mark of it, indeed. But a military engagement of the kind that they are involved in at the moment in much of the southern theatre (or even in pirate-land in recent weeks) will really be the "complete annihilation" for them against Somaliland. And, they, themselves, know that, indeed.

So let me repeat what I said, the SSC is alleged by your government to be backed by Al Shabaab, they have attacked you numerous times, they even allegedly killed an electorate official and banned any ballot boxes from coming to their region. Atam and the SSC are no different according to our two regional governments! So stop the hypocrisy when you make comments on how a Puntland vs Atam (Al Shabaab) incident couldn’t happen to you; because you already have NW Somalia vs SSC (Al Shabaab).

If there is one thing that gets me is people who make comments like you did about another region and how it can’t happen in yours, when in actuality you have an almost identical situation in your region if not worse because the group you are fighting is not on the run!!

Thankful   

Why do I even bother with you???

It's pointless, you make a claim, which never has anything evidence to support it. I clearly show your claim is nonsense. Then you back track!

The Ethiopians are suspicious of them and had engaged in a fire fight with this group, this started apparently after they inspected trucks going in and out of buhoodle. Your government says the SSC is sympathizers and backed by Al Shabaab. But Oodweyne knows the truth from his home in the UK. Ridiculous!!! Because whether your government is making the SSC/Al Shabaab link up. They should do something about it. If they are as powerful as you say they are!

Regardless it's pointless with you!

But next time don't comment on how Al Shabaab can't get a foot hold on land that you claim as yours, like it happens in the South and Puntland. Just remember what your government says about the SSC and it's record in dealing with them.

NASSIR   

Oodweyne, I'm sure it suits your little secessionist Triangle and its delusions of grandeur to score cheap points at the Galgala issue. SNM had ignominous defeat at the hands of the Somali National Army, therefore, no need to revisit that ugly chapter of Somalia's history overall. It's well known that he Somali state collapsed due to many factors, chief among them is its war with Ethiopia over Somali-Galbeed, the emergence of clan-based movements, and the rise of the local clan of Mogadishu and its environs.

The evolution of "Somaliland" is based on the political aspirations of one clan, therefore, it won't be significant entity both in economic, military and political-wise.

Its influence and authority is limited to where its "mass following" of clan as you put it is based.

It tried on several ocassions to venture out of its warren Triangle and was afterwards vanquished.

NASSIR   

Read or Listen from a secessionist portal as the former defense minister of the Triangle secessionists, Mr. Mire Waqaf, make his case before his jury following the defeat of his heavily armed clan militia at the time in Sanaag Region.

Waqaf “Kasoo cararkii Dhahar waxaan ku badbaadiyey ciidanka iyo tiknikada” direct quote…

Source: HalganNews

Btw, to the misinformed folks here, the Puntland militia and its commander that is now based in Galgala are mostly of the heavily armed clan-militias of Abdi Jamal, who is from Galgala himself. (Go to www.spr.fm and listen to his interview)

Originally posted by Thankful:

Why do I even bother with you???

It's pointless, you make a claim, which never has anything evidence to support it. I clearly show your claim is nonsense. Then you back track!

The Ethiopians are suspicious of them and had engaged in a fire fight with this group, this started apparently after they inspected trucks going in and out of buhoodle. Your government says the SSC is sympathizers and backed by Al Shabaab. But Oodweyne knows the truth from his home in the UK. Ridiculous!!! Because whether your government is making the SSC/Al Shabaab link up. They should do something about it. If they are as powerful as you say they are!

Regardless it's pointless with you!

But next time don't comment on how Al Shabaab can't get a foot hold on land that you claim as yours, like it happens in the South and Puntland. Just remember what your government says about the SSC and it's record in dealing with them.

Nice try. But everyone knows the SSC has nothing to do with the terrorist organisation called Al Shabaab. In fact Silaanyo's Goverment wants to negotiate with SSC. Kulmiye already had even talks with them prior to election. Elders from Buhoodle and Burco already set the tone. Now more more leaders from SSC are willing to negotiate.

Anyone who thinks SSC has something to do with Al Shabaab has a distorted view of reality.

So Thankfull, sheeko kale keen. tani wee socon weydey.