Sign in to follow this  
Shirwac

Any boxing fans

J.Lee   

Personally, I can't wait to see Taylor vs. Hopkins fight and I'm betting all my easily-earned money on Hopkins to deliver a 6th round K.O preferably by way of a right hook this time, for variety sake.

J.Lee   

Well, I never.

Dude your opinion kind of um..... ****. We're talking about the unstoppable and almost unbeatable phenomenon that is the Philly Slugger here. A man, whom may I add, despite his age hasn't lost a single fight since the early 90's (let the record speak for itself). You're seriously underestimating the man.

Mark my words though he will beat Jermaine in that rematch

[ October 31, 2005, 09:58: Message edited by: SoMa_InC ]

SoMa_InC   

I pray shoulder to shoulder with Danny Williams at my local mosque; Am one his biggest fans. Boxing was a superb game before Lennox Lewis stepped in the ring.

Oh I forgot, Prince Naseem Hamed, another reason why I adored boxing....

Shirwac   

Originally posted by Wordette:

[QB] Well, I never.

Dude your opinion kind of um..... ****. [QB]

He was great boxer just like Ali, Hly field, Tyson...His last fight wasn't all that great and you'll see him loose worst in his next match.

Shirwac   

Originally posted by SoMa_InC:

Boxing was a superb game before Lennox Lewis stepped in the ring.

Have you ever seen a heavy weight that can Box like Lenox since Ali?

LANDER   

Originally posted by Shirwac:

quote:Originally posted by SoMa_InC:

Boxing was a superb game before Lennox Lewis stepped in the ring.

Have you ever seen a heavy weight that can Box like Lenox since Ali?
^^You got to be kidding me, Lennox Lewis is the most OVERATED heavyweight in history. The boxing commentators were trying to sell because he is supposedly a "model citizen" and because they had no other heavyweights to promote in recent years. Let's just ask ourselves what did he do to be considered "great"? He defeated a very elderly Evander Holyfield (barely at that) and a less than sane Mike Tyson who any fair boxing commentator will tell you hasn't been the same since 1990 more than a decade ago since the death of his mentor Cus D'amato and his mother. Lewis had also managed to lose in the form of K.O's to mediocre opposition such as Rahman and others. Despite being classified a "super-heavyweight"(about 6"5 240 odd pounds) he has a glass jaw and after getting wabaly at the hands of Vitali Klitschko and being saved by an eye injury to Klitshko, he quickly called on retirement like the sissy he is. Always has fought too tentatively for a man his size and went to decisions at times when any other "great" fighter would have dominated a fight. At least Vitali now knows Lennox is a coward ish and for the rest of Vitali's carreer, he can claim to be the man who put Lewis to retirement. Had Lewis faught a young Mike Tyson (who use to demolish him in training session in their early years) or even a younger Evander Holyfield, I would've put my life savings on either of them because I truly believe Lewis NEVER had exceptional boxing skills or remarkable Knock out power and instincts for that matter. George Foreman is one of the only people who would make silly comments such as "Lewis is the greatest boxer ever" and considering Foreman's background its sort of understandable the two heavyweights are comparable in their being "media darlings". I think Foreman was just a more destructive force than Lewis could dream of in his early years, but he too were hyped up by the predominantly white media. In the rumble in the jungle in some corners they had renamed him the "great white hope" reminiscent earlier times when racism was rampant in boxing simply for the fact that ALI was public enemy number 1 among white americans. He dodged the vietnam war and become and muslim, and was known to affeliate with black panthers and many a members of black movements including Malcolm X. When in 1960 he won a gold medal in rome in later threw away that medal in disgust with racial discrimination while in 68' black atheletes were making a silent protest by raising their black gloved fist in the air, George Foreman introduced American Flag waving to professional sport once again kissing some *** and becoming the beloved athlete of uncle sam. Well Lewis sort of represents that type of house negroe mentality whether he is aware of it or not and never enters the ring whitout his huge british flag. They pin him as the good obediant black man as opposed to the more troublesome, inner city and violent men like Mike Tyson who people at any given point are not sure whether they are sane or not. A bi-product of this society I say but thats another matter. Man I just wish Tyson would stop embarassing himself to the credit of people like Lewis and harming whatever is left of his remarkable yet short legacy in boxing. He can only give "status" to other people who like Lewis would only be overated chumps whitout him.

Now if y'all wanna talk about greatness listen to lady wordette fo real she knows what she's talking about, the X better known to is opponents as the Executioner with tha mask is truly a talent and great boxer. Young Jermaine Taylor is a talent of his own right to it should be an interesting fight unfortunately I didn't even see the first one. What I wanna see after that fight is either a Winky Wright Vs. Hopkins or Winky Vs. Taylor, either way sparks gon be flyin those could be potential fights of the year.

J.Lee   

His last fight wasn't all that great

Yet it wasn't bad either (I'm guessing you missed the headbutt :D ), besides the only reason Taylor won that fight, which I believe should of resulted in a draw, was because one of the friggin' judges awarded the 12th round to Taylor. I know Hopkins was inactive the first couple of rounds which Tay'took full advantage of (X's slow start, that is) with some effective jabbing and damaging bunches to give him credit, but it didn't match the fury unleashed by Hopkins in the 10th and 11th round which he dominated completely, mind you.

Wright is pound-for-pound, hard to the body kind of boxer (like hopkins) and one of the best fighters I've ever seen. A match between him and Hopkins would be The fight of the year. No doubt about it. However, if Hopkins loses and Taylor ends up defending the title against Wright, Sh!t, he could kiss that belt good-bye. Not to dismiss Taylor because I think he has potential (to be another Hopkins? :D ) But he doesn't have the skills or the experience to win a fight against the likes of Winky. For god sakes, the only notable boxer he beat was Hopkins and that was by a split decision!

BTW

Lennox is boring to watch and his style is not even comparable to Ali, matter fact, they don't deserve to even be in the same sentence. Like Lander pointed out, He is vulnerable to "shut outs" ( :D ) thus why he was able to get KO'd by single bunches from light fighters.

Originally posted by Wordette:

Lennox is boring to watch and his style is not even comparable to Ali, matter fact, they don't deserve to even be in the same sentence.

I aint a fan of boxing but agree with you in tote. Mohammed Ali was the King. No Ali, no Bumbaye!(i don't know what that means, just feels good saying it :D )

Wordette, you're into boxing :confused:

Man, I got the heebie-jeebies everytime I see a chic into boxing. Don't ask me why.

J.Lee   

I would be scared too if I seen a dhooro that was into boxing. God. That would put a whole new twist on the term "Chicken fight," don't you think? ( :D )

Yes. I like boxing for reasons that are quite healthy and rewarding.

Shirwac   

Waaw so many Somalis into boxing that is cool. I stated from the beginning that my views werejust "OPINIONS". I expected difference of opinions and I appreciate the input.

I saw a Somali boxer from Canada Faisal something...anyone knows about him?