Sign in to follow this  
Abdulladiif Al-Fiqih

Letter to Mum and Dad

Jazakumullah khayr to both of you for having married each other so I could be born into this world by Allah's Will. I bet you could only fully grasp the greatness of 'the miracle of life' till you became parents yourselves. The process by which a child with bones, skin, muscles, brain and eyes is born from nothing but small parts and substances is indeed a reflection of the power and might of Allah.

My beloved Mother you commenced to experience pain as I gradually grew within you and your body went through the different phases of change. You experienced all sorts of inconveniences for my sake. At times you suffered from headaches, other times you were vomiting, many times you had back pain, and perhaps there were other pains, which you never told anyone. You also experienced emotional and psychological moods during pregnancy but I am confident that you bore them with patience and gratitude to Allah for having gifted you with a child.

Even before my birth, you and Dad started to lose your sleep because of me. Every time I moved and my foot kicked your tummy or my hand tried to reach out you would call Dad to watch the scene and place his hands. I thank you both for the Qur'an you recited and the zikr you made, as I could hear you whilst I was inside. Jazakumullah to both of you for protecting my ears from music and foul language, even before I could set my eyes on the world.

As I continued to grow you could not decide whether to buy pink or blue garments as you were wondering whether I would be a boy or a girl. I kept this big surprise with me, as this was a secret between Allah and I till the time of my birth.

You would sit and discuss different names for me but all the time I was hoping a pious Shaykh would name me, so that the qualities of that name would become a part of me, his duas be with me and also through his Tahneeq I would gain from his blessings and piety.

Both of you would discuss my future and make plans for me. You had dreams that when I grow up I would become successful in this world and the hereafter. If you were religious, you may have dreamt of me becoming a Hafiz of the Qur'an or even better a knowledgeable Aalim who would guide and assist the people. If however your eyes were set on the world, you may have dreamt of the worldly successes for me, but I hope you dreamt for my success in both worlds, especially the eternal Akhirah.

My beloved Mum, I really thank you for changing my nappies and cleaning me from the wee's and poo's. With love and affection you would never moan and would change me with happiness. I also thank you for breast-feeding me, this is the best and most healthy milk you could have provided for me, which insha'allah will help me in many ways. So many times I would cry in the middle of the night and you and Dad would pick me up to appease me.

Your favours, efforts and sacrifices are too many. To be honest, I do not even remember many of them as they were before the time I began to remember things, and I may never find out. But I hope to discover them when I become a parent myself and do the same for my children. I hope both of you can live to see this day, so that I can thank you even more.

My dearest Dad, I thank you for the sacrifices you undertook for my sake. Whilst Mum was coping with internal struggles since conceiving me, you strove for me externally. Since the time you married Mum you worried about 'securing a good home for us. You made every effort to earn halal income, to ensure your family would be showered with the blessings and barakah from Allah. Remember, if you would have fed me with haram, I would not have been to blame for my bad character and being disobedient to both of you.

My Dad, you would work the extra hours just so that your beloved ones would have some extra money for our needs. I hope that you did not forget that I needed your attention for Tarbiyah as well. I was so lucky that from young I would watch you perform salah. I can remember how I would stand and copy you, even though I did not even know what I was doing. By you performing salah, you were able to tell me off when I would feel lazy and miss salah.

From young, I would hear you speak of things such as taqwa, 'ilm, and haya. I would always wonder what they were, how they would look, where they could be found or bought. Thanks to your early teachings, I now understand them and have much interest in acquiring them.

What should I do to resist my desires? How can I gain good qualities? These are just some question for which I was given practical answers in my childhood, when you would advice me to stay in good company and take me to God-fearing pious servants of Allah. You ensured I went to madrasah and would do ta'leem at home so we may learn together. You instilled in me Islamic values and made me a fan of the Seerah of the Prophet . Dad, you would participate in tableegh if possible and would not miss listening to the lectures delivered by the 'Ulama, making Mum listen at home also. Though I was young, without knowing, I learnt so many good things from these. As I continued to grow, I slowly began to understand the importance of such programmes and to this day, I find a lot of benefit in participating in them. Above all, I am grateful for having instilled in me the need to have a connection with a pious Shaykh to guide me in all affairs of life.

Also, I will never be able to thank you enough for helping me stay away from so many wasteful things, especially wasting my precious time behind watching TV and going to cinemas etc., wasting my health in smoking and consuming other intoxicants and, warned me about the harms and consequences of dating. From young you trained me to utilise my time correctly and now as a fully-grown adult I understand why you did what you did. I pray to Allah that He grants both of you piety and rewards you in both the worlds.

I guess I will only appreciate what it means to be a parent when I become one myself. I pray to Allah that He rewards every Mum and every Dad for all their love and sacrifices, and forgive and guide them if they have made any mistakes. I also pray that He helps every parent in this blessed mission of bringing up their children and safeguarding them from the evils of the world and make us realise the only path is for us to become good Muslims and ambassadors of Islam.

O Allah, forgive us and our parents on the Day' of Judgement.

O Allah, grant and make our wives pious and make our children the coolness of our eyes. (Ameen)

Courtesy: Riyyadhul Jannah

hodman   

MashaAllah bro that is really nice and inspiring. If only more of us would think like this and actually tell our parents. Ever notice how many Somalis can't even say I love you to their parents?

Ameen to the dua.

Nur   

JZK , MM

That was an eye opener, to appreciate what they have went through to care for us is indeed unimaginable, we thank Allah who provided two slaves known as parents for us, who work for free 24/7?

Amen

Nur