Sign in to follow this  
Dhashiike

The Rubberstamping of the Occupation

Castro,

1)The talks were not all-inclusive. A major player (may be the second biggest player) was not a signatory to the agreement.

Al shabaabs was not signatory to this agreement. Most people understand why alshabaab did not participate in Jabbuuti peace talks. Simply put, alshabaabs’ goals for Somalia are neither realistic nor sensible at this juncture of Somali history. The ideological rift between Courts political and military wings have always been there. In the end, it became apparent that the two are no longer compatible moving forward! One side wanted the return of some semblance of governance even if they are not the one leading it as long she is sovereign and independent enough. The other side thinks that vision is too narrow and wants to roll back Ethiopia’s influence and troop presence in Somalia TODAY. THIS MOMENT. Oh it also wants to get rid off all the DABODHILIFS, as soon as it defeats Ethiopia. No compromise, period! Alshabaab have denounced the notion of sitting down with TFG. It threatens the UN troops now…

If you meant to say Sh. Xassan should have been a signatory to this agreement, I agree. But the good Sheekh made tactical errors again by opposing efforts leading to the Jabbuuti meeting. Also there is unfair terrorist charges that continue to hang on sheikhs head, so he can’t travel as leisurely as he would liked. The logistics for him was no there. In all the voices that opposed this conference, the Sheekh is the only one I have deep sympathy for his position because I understand where he is coming from. Have I liked him onboard with this agreement? Absolutely. Will I continue to give him the benefit of the doubt in his public pronouncements against this deal? Sure. Do I think he is right on this? Not at all! In the final analysis Somalia, in my mind, is more important than one or few groups! If Sh. Sharif as a result of this deal achieves the complete of withdrawal of Ethiopian forces from our soil, I think even alshabaabs will not have a good reason to continue the fight…

2) The time lines and the wishful "sufficient" UN troops by the deadline is a near impossibility.

You are being overly pessimistic here. None of the clauses in this agreement is impossible. What’s unfeasible in my mind is the notion that a continuous violence in the midst of your cities and towns will result the withdrawal of Ethiopian forces, an Ethiopia that’s supported by the powers that be, that is! As I said before 4 months will expire in no time. Whether this agreement works or fails time will tell. To be cautious in anything is wise. But what’s not warranted I think is this flood of negativity coming from Kashafa’s camp…

What do they really want?

Abtigiis   

It is not always good to be positive, as is the case with HIV. Your positive optimism borders delusion and is unacceptable, duqa. Perhaps it is you who should make some soul serching.

Kashafa   

Xiin,

We all want the same thing: A peaceful strong and united Somalia. We differ on how to get there. There is no doubt in my mind that you, along with most of the peacenik crowd, are genuine, sincere, and have good intentions. But as it were, you would unwittingly cast Somalia to a fate that it cannot afford to suffer: Legitimized neo-Gumaysi, either actual physical occupation, or by a client puppet government. It is aragti-gaabni and fikrad-xumi, not malevolent intentions, that has put you where you are today: Shaking hands with General Gabre while blood of the innocent is not yet dry from the walls of Bakaaro Market.

Hadal-ka kulul waxaa naga keenayo, is that we feel personally betrayed by what happened in Djibouti. Were Shaykh Sharif and his delegation able to secure the eviction of the Ethiopian troops without any of the other shameful clauses, they would have earned the undying respect and devotion of Umaadda Soomaliyeed. But, brah, they capitulated, they submitted, they surrendered. Nothing can excuse that. Can you then blame us for suspecting them of selling out ? Even if we don't have proof ?

I am enough of a realist to know what the mirage of power and the Kursi can do to honest men. Have you listened to the Sharif Xasan interview I posted on the other thread ? Please do. Tell me that is not the words of a defeated man. Nin la haysto oo laa gatay. Wallahi dhuliga xathal-keesa ka muuqdo inaysan qaar-badan oo TFG-ga ku hadlin.

Wayxaka yaa Xiin, who doesn't want peace ? War ma kula tahay the brothers and sisters of the Muqawama just LOVE mayhem ? That they get kicks out of death and destruction ? That they love living in mosquito-infested jungles for the thrill of it ?

Do they not want the same thing human beings the world over desire ? Clean water, good food, a safe home, a loving family, the honourable peace of the strong . Yet they FIGHT. Why ? Because they understand the existential nature of this conflict. It is not a fight over land, or resources, or power, as some of our misguided fools would have you believe, but a fight for the very soul of Somalia.

Waamaxay, marka, Is-Qancis'ka iyo Is-Maaweliska. You know all this better than I do. But for some reason that I cannot figure out(only you can), you are willing to do anything, even at the risk of long-term national catostrophe, to have what you term 'Peace', but is in reality abject app'Peace'ment.

Unshiduka billah, So the Ethiopians leave, victorious, and come home to Addis to a glorious welcome. So the UN troops take over and secure the Kursi for Ra'sul Kufri wal Nifaaq, Abdullahi Yusuf, for Butcher Dheere, for Caduwallah Khayrdiid.

What has changed ? Xabada oo istaagtay maa kula eh guul ? Ilaahay indaha ha kuu kala furo, waayo athigoo soojeedid aa jeeftaa. War rag'gu aragti-gaabnaa. Waryee, war miyaadan la soconin once aa qoriga dhigtid inaa noqotay ari ama geel, oo meeshee is dhigay lagu qalu ? Waryee, war will you entrust Ummada Soomaaliyeed to the scheming and machinations of Ikhwatul Khawanti wal Khanazeer ?

Wayxaka yaa Xiin !! Who will answer for the blood that has been shed ? Who will answer for the lives that have been stolen ? Who will answer for the bur-bur, for the xasooq, for the darkest chapter in the book of Somali history ? Is there no Justice to be had ? Is our lexicon bereft of the word Accountability?

Wayxaka yaa Xiin!!!, above and beyond everything, will you have the budding light of Islamic governance extinguished in Somalia ? Will you let Zenawi preen and crow that he has defeated the 'terrorists' ? Are you willing to have a repeat of the Barre regime, where the Scholars of Islam were shot by a firing squad, as if they were common criminals, for daring to say "Allah's rule is superior to anything else"

Wayxaka yaa Xiin !!! Even if you were to sweep all of that under the carpet, for the sake of your illusory, oh-so-precious 'peace', what guarantees do you have that it will not be repeated ? War indaha kala fur: A precedent has been set: Traitors have gone across the border and guided our historical enemy to their promised dream: Xamar Caday and the Indian Ocean, and you, in all of your spectacular naivety, would legitimize that shameful precedent by approving of the Djibouti farce. Tommorow, berito, another dhabodhilif, drunk in the quest for power, will do the exact same thing aided and abetted by YOU and your stamp-of-approval. And the cycle of violence, of xasooq, of endless war will perpetuate itself. Over and over again.

No, my brother. Ummada Soomliyeed, spearheaded by it's pride, the Muqawama, is determined to right the wrongs of the past, to put a definitive end to the cycle of dhabodhilifnimo, to crush, once and for all, any Somali individual, group, and entity what allies itself with Ethiopia. It will not be easy. Grand undertakings in the history of nations never were. Read upon the bitter birth of this nation that I call home and learn from the lessons of history. Read upon the bitter sacrifices by a divided country, much more divided than we ever were. But they fought, like lions defending their den, they fought like patriots. And they won. Wayxak: Gobonimadu waa geed harwayn oo ku baxa dhiiga geesiga.

You are teetering on the brink of a dangerous precipice, abti, and you have two choices. Make your bed well and then sleep in it. A) Support Gobonimo, support Somalinimo, support Islam. We may differ on tactics and on strategies, but we will never ever ever compromise or engage in mudaahana when it comes to iron-clad principles. B) Itabic hawaaka. Hawadaada raaco. Meeshu ku gayso, iska aad. Falaa taloo'mana ilaa nafsak. Become like Sheikh Ali Dheere and campaign for the Minister of Islamic Affairs in the Tigray Founded Group. Lean on rationalization upon rationisation to explain your fence-ridding 'peace-loving' guilt to your kids when they ask you "Baba, when our country was under occupation, where did you stand ?"

As for us, the Somali peoples of the Horn of Africa, Qasaman bi Rabil Kacba, We fight, xataa yaxkumallahu baynanaa wa howa khayrul xaakimeen. Wal Caaqibatu lil Mutaqeen.

The day will come, my brother, that Somalia is free, united, and strong, respected among it's friends, feared by it's enemies. Wa yow'ma'ithin yafraxul Mu'minoon. Bi Nasrillah. That day is when the Somali Muslim peoples will rejoice and celebrate a hard-won victory. And be forever thankful and eternally in debt to those who sacrificed blood & treasure, to those who refused to give in to the politics of fear and convenience, to those who looked upon the threats and intimidation of a hostile world with a scornful smile. As if to say: Waryee, Ina Kaadi Najaasle, Ma itaaqaan ? Waxaanu nahay Ahlul Karam wal Majd. I am a Muslim. I am a Somali."

We Fight, inshallah.

Kashafa,one of us is following his hawaa, laa shaka. What makes you think the culumaa who gathered in Jabbuuti, including Janaqow , Caddow, Caynte, Shariif, and other respected schollars all got it wrong, while few shabaabs oo xiniinyo ka buuxaan laakiin aan xikmad lahayni are the only ones who GET IT?

You see brother, do you think I forgot who hastened the defeat and the clausal loss of the victory al shacbu suumaal won last year? What happened to Islamic Courts, will never happen again. IA. Few shabaabs drunk with confidence will never be allowed inay nagu khammaaraan mar labaad...

si fiican u qaniin arrintaa yaa Kashafa!

***I am done wiht this tread***

Kashafa   

^^ Khayr inshallah. We will wait and see sidoo Ilaahay ka dhigo. Time will tell which approach was right, although I believe Sunatallhi-fil-ardh, historical precedent, logical deduction, human nature, and common sense is firmly on the side of armed military resistance against occupation and oppression.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. I look at the Djbouti farce and I see a point-by-point parallel with the Munich Disaster.

And you know how that episode ended.

Sorry, akh, one side, and one approach is gonna have to win, and judging from the wave of rejection of the Djobouti farce coming from the ground forces, from the Diaspora, from the ARS, from the Culamaa iyo Caamo, Xaq'qa woo iska cad'yahay. It isn't something that requires pages of debate.

Djbouti conference: "Peace" in our time.

Warmoog   

The disingenuousness of the UN and the 'parties' who signed this farcical 'agreement' is there for all to read. They talk about peace without acknowledging what caused the war. They talk about justice without having any interest in stopping, never mind rebuking, the criminals who are causing the injustice. (In fact, they talk about justice with some of those criminals.) They talk about reconciliation for no other reason than to hide the truth of what the problem is and how/why it came about, so they can offer fake solutions to a fake problem while working their own nefarious agenda.

The fact is, the whole Djibouti scheme is meant to further the interests of the imperialists who put, and keep, the occupation in Somalia in place (and, by extension, the sniveling sycophants who serve them). It is really to them that the runaways who broke off from the ARS and signed the 'agreement' proved most useful. Their willingness to meet, negotiate, and sign deals with people representing Isbahaysiga Gaalada and their minions while the Tigray-led mercenaries are still in Somalia, wrecking havoc, is downright appalling. Their willingness to use the UN as a mediator (as if it is a 'neutral' third party) also speaks volumes, as does their approval of the UN troops idea considering, among other things, Somalia's bitter history with a UN/US intervention and the UN's deplorable 'peacekeeping' record around the world.

As has been repeatedly pointed out, the 'agreement' is an abomination. A lot of it is decorative fluff and duplicitous doublespeak. Did anyone notice the two references to an 18-year-long crisis? The situation in Somalia today is a completely different from what was going on during the civil war and the years of warlordism. It is an occupation, and any group or organization that is genuinely interested in resolving the current crisis has to acknowledge it. This is but one example of how the UN goes out of its way to avoid doing that. It would rather feign concern for an 18-year-long crisis, as if what is going on in Somalia today is no different from what was going on ten years ago, as if it is merely a new chapter of war among a people with a long and established history of 'internal conflict' rooted in supposedly inherent tribalism, lawlessness, and whatever else. They want the world to think it is a continuation of the 'protracted Somali crisis', something which in reality ended in 2006. It is a very devious approach, a way (on the part of the UN/US) of giving the occupiers diplomatic cover by not even acknowledging that Somalia is under occupation and that the current crisis is a direct result of it. Why people expect anything good—never mind peace and reconciliation—to come out of 'talks' or processes in which the sources of conflict and injustice are never truthfully addressed to begin with is beyond me. Moving on...

Those of you who were airing your dismay and outrage in this thread were absolutely right in terming the 'agreement' a rubberstamping of the occupation. The part of it that Somalis are supposed to view as the most promising is one which merely legitimizes the current and continued presence of the Tigray-led mercenaries—up to and beyond the end of the 120-day period—by basing their withdrawal on a vague, conditional request that is highly unlikely to be fulfilled any time soon, if ever. That request is to be made in accordance with a UN Resolution, which makes it quite clear that the UN has no identifiable plans to deploy its own mercenaries to Somalia in the near future. Rather, it wants to support and strengthen the AMISON presence, and whether it will even consider replacing them at some future point in time is "subject to progress in the political process and improvement in the security situation on the ground". In other words, 'You beastly Africans can spill each other’s blood for now. We'll assist and finance the ones that serve us and, in the event that they successfully crush/subdue the Somali resistance, our Blue Helmets will swoop in carry out the natural resource plunder, war crimes, and sexual and human rights abuses for which we are so well known.' Promising indeed.

To that, add another fact. The only clause that mentions the Ethiopian regime and its mercenaries is one which in effect gives them the power to decide when they will leave Somalia. Long story short, it is highly unlikely that the current occupiers will voluntarily withdraw and be replaced with other (UN) occupiers. The main purpose of the 'agreement' is evident in the last clause of the seventh point. The runaways are expected to publicly condemn all acts of armed violence and to disassociate themselves from any individuals/groups who don't do as their precious 'agreement' says. The stooges, on the other hand, are not required to do the same! For them and their militias and the occupiers, it is business as usual. This is such a clear, in-your-face indication that the 'agreement' serves no other real purpose than to cause division and conflict within the resistance. (To me it is also one indication, among many, that the runaways who signed it are not the mistaken, but well-intended, people I would have otherwise assumed them to be. Had they been so, this clause would have been impossible for them to stomach, a sure deal-breaker.) That is what the US/UN/imperialists set out to do. They want to divide and weaken the resistance and, at the same time, give the Tigray-led mercenaries, who are being pummeled on a daily basis, a respite during which to rearm, reposition, and recover from their increasingly debilitating defeats.

Diplomacy is just another front in the imperialists' proxy war and it is one in which they have more resources, greater leverage, and greater potential to get what they want, how they want it. What took place in Djibouti was in no way a 'peacemaking' effort. The US and its allies unfurled a trap, a platform where they could carry out a tactical strategy under UN cover. Beyond their attempts to curb the growing strength and successes of the Mujaahideen, there were, and still are, noticeable attempts to disrupt the ties between the Somali resistance and Eritrea, to demonize and isolate both, and to forge justification for possible attacks on Eritrea in the future. The thought of the runaways practically tripping over themselves in their blind, feverish rush to partake that setup is made only worse by knowledge of the details of what they signed and have since been promoting. Without speculating on what their motives may be, I think they have displayed treachery and two-facedness of enormous proportions. There is too much shadiness in their activities for me to assume they made a few innocent mistakes and, considering the talk of an impending power-sharing deal between the runaways and the stooges, the ignominy we have seen so far might only be the beginning of what we can expect from them.

In any case, alhamdulillaah, the plot failed to produce the intended results in Somalia. The Mujaahideen within the country all saw it for what it is/was and took a firm, united stance against it. Best of all, they have intensified the fight against the occupiers and their stooges, giving a very clear message in both word and deed that the Jihad will not be aborted for anyone or anything, especially now that the enemy has reached its breaking point.

Originally posted by Warmoog:

Did anyone notice the two references to an 18-year-long crisis? The situation in Somalia today is a completely different from what was going on during the civil war and the years of warlordism. It is an occupation, and any group or organization that is genuinely interested in resolving the current crisis has to acknowledge it. This is but one example of how the UN goes out of its way to avoid doing that. It would rather feign concern for an 18-year-long crisis, as if what is going on in Somalia today is no different from what was going on ten years ago, as if it is merely a new chapter of war among a people with a long and established history of 'internal conflict' rooted in supposedly inherent tribalism, lawlessness, and whatever else. They want the world to think it is a continuation of the 'protracted Somali crisis', something which in reality ended in 2006.

What took place in Djibouti was in no way a 'peacemaking' effort. The US and its allies unfurled a trap, a platform where they could carry out a tactical strategy under UN cover. Beyond their attempts to curb the growing strength and successes of the Mujaahideen, there were, and still are, noticeable attempts to disrupt the ties between the Somali resistance and Eritrea, to demonize and isolate both, and to forge justification for possible attacks on Eritrea in the future. The thought of the runaways practically tripping over themselves in their blind, feverish rush to partake that setup is made only worse by knowledge of the details of what they signed and have since been promoting. Without speculating on what their motives may be,
I think they have displayed treachery and two-facedness of enormous proportions. There is too much shadiness in their activities for me to assume they made a few innocent mistakes and, considering the talk of an impending power-sharing deal between the runaways and the stooges, the ignominy we have seen so far might only be the beginning of what we can expect from them.

In any case,
alhamdulillaah, the plot failed to produce the intended results in Somalia. The Mujaahideen within the country all saw it for what it is/was and took a firm, united stance against it. Best of all, they have intensified the fight against the occupiers and their stooges, giving a very clear message in both word and deed that the Jihad will not be aborted for anyone or anything, especially now that the enemy has reached its breaking point.

I have no doubt that good Warmoog means well, and wishes Somalis peace and security. Her ability to express her view so eloquently qualifies her as MMA noticed to be on SOLs future Editorial board. But her perception of conflict resolution---or conflict management for that matter---is so embarrassingly primitive that it renders her long write up to a mere outbursts. Why would any informed Somali individual deny the root cause of Somali conflict and pretend that the brief six-month Islamic Courts rule on some parts of the country ended the Somali civil war? Why would she resort to label the leadership of the ARS who after thinking long and hard of this Somalis azmah entered this agreement as twofaced and treacherous runaways who can no longer be trusted with the task of ending this sad saga of ours? And what is it that she liked in the current fight that she happily thanks Allah?

I am not at all happy with how Warmog’s long and mighty labor as it were ended….

Meeshaan hannaan gobanimiyo hadiyad eegaayey

Haf miyey la tiri xayd siday haan ku dhayanayso

Dailogue and peace agreements, and not wars, should be the way forward for somalis, says I!

Castro   

Dailogue and peace agreements, and not wars, should be the way forward for somalis, says I!

Don't confuse the Djibouti farce with a peace agreement. Sowdiga noqday nin daad qaaday, saaxib. This agreement is beyond xumbo. It's a mirage awoowe. Warmoog just pointed that out. It seems that you're taking her critique personally.

I told you this before and I'll tell it again, you can still be pro dialogue and peace agreements but Djibouti was a still born endeavor saaxib.

P.S. Warmoog is not a warmonger, saaxib. Lest you were confused by the spelling. :D

But her perception of conflict resolution---or conflict management for that matter---is so embarrassingly primitive that it renders her long write up to a mere outbursts. Why would any informed Somali individual deny the root cause of Somali conflict and pretend that the brief six-month Islamic Courts rule on some parts of the country ended the Somali civil war?

Well,that doesnt undercut Warmoog's points however,does it?

While it did not of course end the civil war,the brief period did show that SOMALIS are after all capabable of being above what has haunted them for Years. To deny this is of course being the proverbial ostrich.

I have to agree with you though,Warmoog was a bit too cynical even for my standards(and you know me),Sometimes,you have to hope for the best and while this "peace agreement" can be classifed as a farce, i believe there should be some sort of compromise somewhere along the road. You cant keep fighting,sometime you have to wave the white flag.

Diplomacy is just another front in the imperialists' proxy war and it is one in which they have more resources, greater leverage, and greater potential to get what they want, how they want it. What took place in Djibouti was in no way a 'peacemaking' effort. The US and its allies unfurled a trap, a platform where they could carry out a tactical strategy under UN cover. Beyond their attempts to curb the growing strength and successes of the Mujaahideen, there were, and still are, noticeable attempts to disrupt the ties between the Somali resistance and Eritrea, to demonize and isolate both, and to forge justification for possible attacks on Eritrea in the future. The thought of the runaways practically tripping over themselves in their blind, feverish rush to partake that setup is made only worse by knowledge of the details of what they signed and have since been promoting. Without speculating on what their motives may be, I think they have displayed treachery and two-facedness of enormous proportions.
There is too much shadiness in their activities for me to assume they made a few innocent mistakes and, considering the talk of an impending power-sharing deal between the runaways and the stooges,
the ignominy we have seen so far might only be the beginning of what we can expect from them.

I concur with Warmoog there is no other logical explanation ... can't have it both ways .. the good sh. is an intelligent man & a master politician as evidenced by everything prior to the Djabouti fiasco ... niavety is not an excuse here because we have already seen the man can dance ... so the only remaining reason to sell-out is a bit more sinister than political niavety

Originally posted by Castro:

quote:Dailogue and peace agreements, and not wars, should be the way forward for somalis, says I!

Don't confuse the Djibouti farce with a peace agreement. Sowdiga noqday nin daad qaaday, saaxib. This agreement is beyond xumbo. It's a mirage awoowe. Warmoog just pointed that out. It seems that you're taking her critique personally.

I told you this before and I'll tell it again, you can still be pro dialogue and peace agreements but Djibouti was a still born endeavor saaxib.

P.S. Warmoog is not a warmonger, saaxib. Lest you were confused by the spelling.
:D^^Adeer Warmoog ma eedayn. I said i dont doubt here good intent. Laakiin waxay meesha ku qortay waa buuq...read again. accusations..denials...weeye waxaa meesha ku qoran.

Midda kale did I sound personal? I dont know where you get that one. may be you didn't want me respond :D

Faarax, adeer we know what Islamic Courts did. We also know what they did not do. No one denies that good things Courts brought to somalis but to suggest that their emergence ended the somali civil war is a quite leap...

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Castro:

quote:Dailogue and peace agreements, and not wars, should be the way forward for somalis, says I!

P.S. Warmoog is not a warmonger, saaxib. Lest you were confused by the spelling.
:DCould have fooled me. :D

It was eloquently written but sadly very emotionally charged. She conveniently refuses to acknowledge the fact that this war is between Somalis themselves before being one between the 'mujahidin' and the Ethiopians! She blames the UN/US of ignoring some facts when she herself crashes on with her rant without being truthful in her analysis.

I too believe this agreement to be a pointless one and seriously don't expect it to bear any worthwhile fruit but I find the sister's view as myopic as that of many of you here. Ruunta eso sheega for once, people. It always has been and forever shall remain 'reer hebel' against 'reer hebel'.

Baashi   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

I too believe this agreement to be a
pointless
one...

Why is it pointless?