Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Kenya ratifies new constitution

Kenya has adopted a new constitution, more than three weeks after it was overwhelmingly approved in a national referendum.

Tens of thousands of people watched as President Mwai Kibaki signed the document into law at a large ceremony in the capital, Nairobi.

Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir was present at the event, despite being wanted by the UN for war crimes.

The debate over a new constitution has lasted 20 years.

The constitution is expected to bring significant changes, with political supporters hailing it as the birth of the second republic.

source

I was told the chair of the drafting committee is a Somali and a Somali chaired the referendum committee. According to my Kenyan friend "Kenya thanks this constitution to the independant and unbiased thinking of the Somali's".

Kudos to Somali's in Kenya.

Too bad that Sheick Shariif has nothing better to do, http://www.hiiraan.com/news2/2010/aug/somali_president_to_attend_kenya_s_constitution_promulgation.a spx

Originally posted by *Ibtisam:

Dual citizenship here I come weyna.

Very good.
smile.gif

I am confused, Ibti.

First you tell me you are hunno, then you say you are an abaayo. Later, I thaught you are a Lander because you are so loud.

Now you are telling me you are a 'dada'?

I should have known you are a fufu and ugali eating dada. :D

Ibtisam   

Land: adigaba waalan trying to figure me out, Madax ha iis xanuujinin wa bila dada.

Oz, xaat ka raabta Burco? who is made in Burco? Me or the Passport? :D

There many 'western' foreigners living in Kenya, now they have to request resident VISA every year and with this Dual citizenship they can keep their nationality/passport and at the same time become Kenyan and have all the rights that kenyans also have.

Oz   

Norf am not a hypocrite like stoic, having a dual means you don't need a visa to kenya, you can work or start a business as a citizen. National parks is 25 shillings entry. As a foreigner you pay nearly 150 us dollars. They are many benefits i cant think of any at the moment.

Ibti- both. :D

Ismalura   

Kenya is great...Though I am so envious of of them now. Good for the Somali guy who helped write the constitution, it is really good for the Somali-Kenyans.

Go Kenya GOOO

SeeKer   

During a discussion about the promulgation ceremony in Kenya, my friendly aptly pointed out that in the new Constitution Kenya writes that it will abide by International law. The first thing Kenya does is make a mockery of it by inviting President Bashir who is wanted by the ICC. redface.gif

Time will tell, in the meantime the constitution does have certain perks.

^While I think Bashir should answer for his crimes, it's rather hypocritical of the International court to indict Bashir while George Bush and his minions sleep comfortably in their homes.

SeeKer   

Che whether they are wrong or right on indicting him the point of contention is that Kenya's new ratified constitution states it will follow International law, hence Bashir should have been arrested instead of being handed a white dove for the ceremony.