Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

New Somali PM Nur Cade [background of new PM ]

NGONGE   

If he's as 'good' as the reports say I don't think we'll have to wait long to find out. The benefit of the doubt position is NOT a wrong one to have.

Xoogsade   

Hunguri, Casiirka markaa ka soo dharagto waa gartaa inaa i dhahdid "Nin daad qaaday xumbo cuskay". You knew what aggression meant when little dusty town up in the north was occupied by clan militia. The town is yours, and the people your flesh. It made perfect sense for you to speak against the aggression. Now compare that to your feelings about Muqdisho and its people. Main relation you have to them is A/Y's position me thinks :D Not surprising you write "nin daad qaaday xumbo cuskay". What does that mean? The million displaced and the starving, where do they figure in your mind? Are they defeated too? any blame on A/Y from your side? responsibility on his part? Are you ashamed of your support for him? Casiirkaadaa meelaha ku cabtaa and you don't care about Muqdisho except ask every morning when you wake up "Odagii Yusuf ahaa ma nool yahay" :D

As for the new PM, who criticized his person? questions are asked and rightly so. Why did he accept the job? On what promise to the people most affected? The blood of the innocent is still fresh on the sand and people are displaced, the same men who engineered the massacre and the displacement are in place calling the shots still, A/Y and his warlords, so how do these facts yet unchanged be helpful to his job? Ethiopian troops are in place still killing kids, last five of them today. Oh wait, may be they are justified to kill because their lorry was blown up to pieces?

Knowing the realities on the ground, the new PM can do nothing. At best, feed the starved under the shades and give NGO's access to where they were denied before. A small change if that happens. The violence will continue as long as there are Xabashi troops in town and the likes of Maxamed Dheere is the Oday of the town.

I'm highly skeptical. In his first exposure to the media he hasn't taken the opportunity to tell the public that he wants the Ethiopians out at the earliest opportunity(he could have used that to goad opposition to enter talks), nor has he indicated reconciliation is his first priority.

The developments in the next week or two will tell all.

Xoogsade   

And if you guys think I love to be pessimisstic, wrong. It honestly bothers me to be so dark in vision and pessimisstic. I just happen to know men like A/Y, Maxamed Dheere, Qeybdiid, and all those who come to our politics through blood-spill have much to loose if Somalis are given a vote, no one but a handful minority would want to see these men around. That is why Xabashis are here, to protect its men. These men will not let any chance of Somalis winning back their peace and government materialize. A new PM or not, the status quo remains the same. Listen to A/Y's Qudbo if you doubt the future to be as bad as it is now. These men will be here till death.

Paragon   

Mr. Nur Ade might have been a respectable individual previously, however, his very decision to accept this dreaded primiership, surely casts doubts on his cognitive facaulty. I do not say this to smeer Mr. Nur, but since he has failed to realise the utmost disdain with which the TFG is currently held, one is inclined to ponder whether age has impacted on his sanity. For not a single sane Somali elder wouldn't put himself in a precarious position such as this.

I just feel sorry for him really.

NGONGE   

^^ He's either always been bad but hid it well or he's been good, saaxib. If bad, this is the mistake that will finally expose him. But, if good, then it sounds like he's not a typical Somali and rather thinks he can make a change by being part of the TFG rather than shouting from the sidelines! At any rate, no point in speculating too much now, Horn chose the best position.

NASSIR   

Ngonge, a typical Somali would even villify the most respected person if he or she chooses a path different from what they should anticipate.

Perhaps the Islamic Courts will build and establish a new government with one dominant segment of Somali people.

BiLaaL   

The irony of it all is that an avowed humanitarian, who still heads the chairmanship of the Somali Red Crescent Society, can take up a post within an government guilty of creating the biggest humanitarian crises (anywhere in the world) of this year. And perhaps the worst humanitarian crises Somalia has ever seen. Mr. Hussein[Nur Adde] has either overestimated his ability to bring about a change within the TFG (especially in relation to their disregard for civilians) or he is hopelessly optimistic. Or worse, simply after power himself.

One assumes that Nur Adde, being a humanitarian himself, will make the fate of the 1 million (and rising) homeless, his number one priority. But how can he affect the humanitarian situation when displacing civilians has become the number tool of 'defence' for the very entity he has chosen to join and represent?

I'll wait to see what he does but my initial instinct tells me that he is bound to fail. At the least, he will end up damaging the values of a humanitarian. He is already in breach of an important humanitarian principle: never afford legitimacy to a murderous regime by excusing its transgressions and certainly not by joining them! With his decision to accept the PM post and not speak out against the unfolding humanitarian catastrophe (he hasn't said a word about it - despite it being six days since accepting the position and three days since being sworne in), Nur Adde has breached the forementioned principle. His reputation is fast eroding.

If he continues to keep silent on the humanitarian situation, he would have made a mockery of his chairmanship of the Somali Red Crescent Society and would have foreshadowed what most of us imagined.

BiLaaL what do you want him to do sit tight and wait for the best? Give the man a chance and see what he is going to do before talking about his reputation. Who do you want as PM a former warlord?

Baashi   

Originally posted by BiLaaL:

The irony of it all is that an avowed humanitarian, who still heads the chairmanship of the Somali Red Crescent Society, can take up a post within an government guilty of creating the biggest humanitarian crises (anywhere in the world) of this year. And perhaps the worst humanitarian crises Somalia has ever seen. Mr. Hussein[Nur Adde] has either overestimated his ability to bring about a change within the TFG (especially in relation to their disregard for civilians) or he is hopelessly optimistic. Or worse, simply after power himself.

One assumes that Nur Adde, being a humanitarian himself, will make the fate of the 1 million (and rising) homeless, his number one priority. But how can he affect the humanitarian situation when displacing civilians has become the number tool of 'defence' for the very entity he has chosen to join and represent?

I'll wait to see what he does but my initial instinct tells me that he is bound to fail. At the least, he will end up damaging the values of a humanitarian. He is already in breach of an important humanitarian principle: never afford legitimacy to a murderous regime by excusing its transgressions and certainly not by joining them! With his decision to accept the PM post and not speak out against the unfolding humanitarian catastrophe (he hasn't said a word about it - despite it being six days since accepting the position and three days since being sworne in), Nur Adde has breached the forementioned principle. His reputation is fast eroding.

If he continues to keep silent on the humanitarian situation, he would have made a mockery of his chairmanship of the Somali Red Crescent Society and would have foreshadowed what most of us imagined.

^Balanced, objective, and honest read of the situation surrounding this eleven hour nomination of Mr. Hussein.

Xiin, Liqaye, Ngonge, Bilaal,...few characters around here who can see through the fog of civil war.

This post made my day runti. I find him to be guarded and cautious optimist who is open for new ideas.

BiLaaL   

^ I would have loved to see him confront Meles and seek assurances on some sort of a timetable for Ethiopian troop withdrawal. This would have been possible before he accepted the position. Expecting him to do it now is a bit of a stretch.

What i will expect him to do, though, is reprimand Dheere on his latest move against the media. Staying quite on this one is not an option. He either supports it or doesn't. After all, he does have powers to stop it. Lets wait and see.

Somali media barred from covering conflict: rights group

NAIROBI (AFP) — Mogadishu's mayor has barred besieged Somali media from covering insurgents, military operations and the city's fleeing civilians in the face of a deadly insurgency, a rights group said Tuesday.

The order by Mohamed Omar Habeb, an ex-warlord, but now mayor, effectively chokes the flow of information from Mogadishu, where reporters and media are targeted by both joint Ethiopia-Somali forces and insurgents who have been battling since January.

At least eight journalists have been killed and dozens others either detained, ambushed or robbed, ranking Somalia the second-deadliest country worldwide after Iraq for journalists, according to press groups.

Under the order, "
the media cannot report on military operations involving the transitional government forces and Ethiopian troops unless they receive written documents that gives them approval,
" according to a statement released by Somali Human Rights Defenders Network (SOHRIDEN).

"
Interviewing government opponents inside (Somalia or) abroad is forbidden and any journalist who dispenses or any radio station that transmits their views ... will be considered as criminal
."

"
Disseminating (reports) on the displacement of the civilians unless the journalists receive real statistics to base as evidence for their information is also prohibited,
" said the order, cited by the rights watchdog.

The watchdog labelled the order as "intolerable."

With foreign reporters already avoiding Mogadishu due to insecurity, the mayor's order is the latest in a string of restrictions piling pressure on a tiny league of Somali journalists working under near-impossible climate.

Mid-November, the Somali military ordered three Mogadishu radio stations off the air, leaving the remaining six radio channels and one TV station no choice but to halt operations.

Somali authorities have accused the media of fanning the endless Mogadishu conflict, notably by interviewing anti-government elements, broadcasting propaganda and involving themselves in the insurgency.

They have also defied calls by rights groups and foreign nations to relax a heavy-handed clampdown on press freedom.

Ethiopia, which deployed troops that helped defeat an Islamist movement in Somalia in January, has also accused the Somali media of disseminating propaganda.

Since the defeat of the Islamists early this year, an ensuing guerilla campaign has displaced at least 600,000 people from Mogadishu, including 200,000 who have fled in recent weeks amid some of the heaviest fighting.

This brought to a million the amount of people displaced in the Horn of Africa nation, most of whom are living in squalid conditions, spawning Africa's worst humanitarian crisis, according to the UN.

In Addis Ababa, Ethiopian Prime Minister Meles Zenawi said his forces were bogged down in the edgy city, where they are staging near-daily attacks and enduring counter-attacks, but unable to end the insurgency.

"Our forces went there on a mission. The question should not be about when they will leave, but about the completion of the mission," Meles said. Addis Ababa said the Islamists militants were linked to Al-Qaeda netword.

Meles said the path to "achieving stability in Somalia," had been slowed by long-running clan feuds and the failure to deployed African peacekeepers to bolster 1,500 troops from Somalia, to eventually reach the pledged 8,000 soldiers on the ground.

"(This) forced us to stay longer as expected. This was aggravated by the unexpected regrouping of insurgents, but all this hasn't affected our development efforts," he added.

Most recently, rebels have killed and dragged Ethiopian troops through Mogadishu streets, a grisly reminders of the fate the befell US special forces in 1993 in the same city. A UN peacekeeping missing pulled out of the country two years later.

Bloody clan conflict and power struggles that intensified after the 1991 ouster of dictator Mohamed Siad Barre have scuppered many bids to stabilise Somalia.

AFP

Fabregas   

Originally posted by AfricaOwn:

Duke will cheer for him until the new pm has his runnings with the old man yey. Just watch

:D

At least this time they didn't fight over lacagti from Sacudiga :D

Juje   

Originally posted by General Duke:

Lets give the new PM a chance, he is a civilian, a trained lawyer, a police Colonel a man who has not been involved in the wars.

He has experience with the humanaterian sector which is vital for this post.

As for the excuses about Ethiopia, if you want peace seek it.

I wish him and the government the best.

The Duke is not alone Mogadishu came out, Bossaso came out and we wish him the best.

Little over a year ago....and today he is a conniving old man.

Aduunyoy xaalka ba'.

Duke, uurku baale ma aha...how the hell on earth was he to know this Nuur Cade guy was going to turn into the shittiest prime minister the TFG has ever had?

Weligiinba soo qodqoda ancient threads--Nuur Cade is history.

dhulQarnayn :cool:

Republic Of California