Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

Oromo facts : suprise not all MUSLIM

Simple search on website, not all Oromo are Muslim...

source wikipedia.

Oromo

Total population 24 Million

Regions with significant populations Ethiopia

Language Oromo

Religion Sunni Islam, Ethiopian Orthodox Christianity, Protestant, Traditional

Related ethnic groups Somalis, Sidama, Afar, Agaw, Amhara, Hadiya, and Beja

Religion

In the 1994 Ethiopian census in the 85% Oromo region of Oromia, 44.3% were Muslims, 41.3% Orthodox Christians, 8.6% Protestants, 4.2% Traditional, and the remaining 1.6% constitute other religious groups. In urban Oromia Orthodox Christians constitute 67.8% of the population, followed by Muslims 24.0% and Protestants 7%.[6]

Oromia and the Oromo people

source

People: Oromo

Area: 600,000 sq.km approx.

Capital: Finfinnee (also called Addis Ababa)

Population: 30 million (1995 estimate)

Language: Oromo, also called Afan Oromo or Oromiffa

Economy: Mainly agriculture (coffee, several crops, spices, vegetables) and Animal Husbandry; Mining industry; Tourism trade; Medium and small-scale industries (textiles, refineries, meat packaging, etc)

Religion: Waaqqefata (the traditional belief in Waaqa or God), Islam, and Christian (Catholic, Orthodox and Protestant)

There are many Oromo who are followers of Islam or Christianity and yet still practise the original Oromo religion. Bartels (1983) expressed this reality as follows: 'Whether they (Oromo) became Christians or Muslims, the Oromo's traditional modes of experiencing the divine have continued almost unaffected, in spite of the fact that several rituals and social institutions in which it was expressed, have been very diminished or apparently submerged in new ritual cloaks." Many used to visit, until very recently, the Galma and pay due respect to their clan Qaaiiu. This is more true in regions where Abyssinian Orthodox Christianity prevails.

^^^Ok, so what about the Oromo Liberation Front, they must have something on their religious beliefs, they must be Muslims right?

source

On Religion and Religious Extremism

The Oromo people are followers of three major religions: Islam, Christianity and traditional Oromo religion. :eek: The OLF respects religious equality and pursues secular policy. It opposes religious domination and religious extremism of any kind. The composition of its members and supporters among the Oromo people, irrespective of religious divides, is a clear testimony to the organization's correct democratic policy on religion.

Chimera   

there are millions of christian arabs should we turn our backs on them 2?

there are hundreds of millions of non muslim chinese should we ignore the amount of chinese muslims wich is far greater than the number of somali muslims who are suffering?

oromo's are our brothers and sisters simple as that it don't matter that some are christians

justice should be granted to all people from all backgrounds not just muslims!

so i fully support there dream of Biyya(country) Oromia

^^You have all the secular guys in your signiture, except Sh. C/rashiid Cali Sharmaake, (Allaha u naxariistee) who was killed by his vicious tribe, because they saw him as a man of justice, which they don't like.

That is my bias, please don't offend me. At least I like Sh. C/rashiid Cali Sharma'arke more than my uncle C/laahi Ciise, (Allaha u naxariistee).

^^^

there are millions of christian arabs should we turn our backs on them 2?

there are hundreds of millions of non muslim chinese should we ignore the amount of chinese muslims wich is far greater than the number of somali muslims who are suffering?

oromo's are our brothers and sisters simple as that it don't matter that some are christians

justice should be granted to all people from all backgrounds not just muslims!

so i fully support there dream of Biyya(country) Oromia

Brother the Oromo have a right to freedom, but what I mind is this false perception that this is a war about Islam, no it is about their battle with Ethiopia their national interst, its about Eritrean interest. The clan courts are using Oromo, Eritrean fighters who are not all Muslim and with no Muslim agenda, yet they are saying that their rivals the TFG should not use outside support which includes, Yemen, Uganda and Ethiopia.

Its not about Islam, its politics as usual.

You learn something new everyday.

That is my bias, please don't offend me. At least I like Sh. C/rashiid Cali Sharma'arke more than my uncle C/laahi Ciise, (Allaha u naxariistee).

Ubahane scores another goal. :D

Chimera   

Originally posted by Alle-ubaahne:

^^You have all the secular guys in your signiture,

secular doesn't equall evil

these men were MEN

one of the founding father of SYL

the presidents may they rest in peace that at least had some somalinimo in them compared to todays leaders

the founding father of the Somali army

THE legendary SAYYID

and i put Magool there because i like some of her songs

yeah aint nothing wrong with me signature

watching them makes proud

^^^Going back to the topic,

People: Oromo

Area: 600,000 sq.km approx.

Capital: Finfinnee (also called Addis Ababa)

Population: 30 million (1995 estimate)

Language: Oromo, also called Afan Oromo or Oromiffa

Economy: Mainly agriculture (coffee, several crops, spices, vegetables) and Animal Husbandry; Mining industry; Tourism trade; Medium and small-scale industries (textiles, refineries, meat packaging, etc)

Religion: Waaqqefata (the traditional belief in Waaqa or God), Islam, and Christian (Catholic, Orthodox and Protestant)

RedSea   

Not All Oromos are Muslims? what is so suprising about that? offcourse they aren't,the majority arent'.

In addition, remember,not all Somalis are Muslims either,they use to be about 98% Muslims,but the percentage has lowered since they came to abroad.

^^^The point is if the Oromo fighters are fighting to creae a secular state why all the talk about Jihad and Islamic warriors. The OLF are not all Muslim, the Eritreans are definetly not Muslim.

The argument of the clan courts is bull.

Originally posted by General Duke:

no it is about their battle with Ethiopia their national interst, its about Eritrean interest.

What Eritrean interests may I ask? I find this allegation that Eritrea has hidden designs for Somalia or is even least bit interested in Somali affairs other than to keep in check Ethiopian political and military expansion in the Horn of Africa simply absurd. For one, Eritrea doesn't have a border with Somalia unlike Ethiopia. Somalia and Eritrea have never been at war so there's no atavistic animosities laying dormant all this time that just erupted to the surface now. There's no rational, palpable reasons for Eritrean involvement in SOmalia other than to vitiate Ethiopian progress.

Contrarily, Ethiopia got more interests (understandable and justifiable ones) than one can shake stick at. They're landlocked country in desperate need of ports (most of the world's trade is done via the seas). Somalia has plenty of them. Potential is there for many more as SOmalia is blessed with one of the longest coastlines in Africa. It wouldn't then be a stretch to suggest Ethiopia is set to reap from any future political and geographical fracturing of Somalia. It's in their best interest to sow enmity and division among already mistrusting, warring sides. The current Ethiopian leadership has toehold grip on power and rightfully fearful of any unfavourable tipping of balance in Somalia. One can go on enumerating Ethiopian motivation for getting involved in Somalia. But you'd be hard pressed to find similar motivations for Eritrea. For no reason other than they're are next to none to be found.

The TFG made monumental blunder when they agreed to accept Ethiopian assistence. That was bad in it's own right, they self-immolated themselves in the eyes of thinking Somalis when they (allegedly because I have yet to see any hard evidence of Ethiopian troops in Somalia. WHERE ARE THE PICS OF ETHIOPIAN TROOPS IN SOMALIA?) allowed Ethiopian soldiers to come into Somalia proper and fight fellow Somalis. Irremediably discredeting themselves in the eyes on reasonable Somalis. Because one thing is undisputed, Somalis have visceral dislike for Ethiopia. Strangely enough, among the plethora of things Somalis have extreme dislike for their dislike of Ethiopia is most understandable.